PDA

View Full Version : Mk 3 Golf running rough.

paddyperv1
18-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello all, my names Dave and ive just got a 1993 Mk3 Golf GTI 8V 5 door. Its in ok order, but when i start up it hunts (reves fluctuate up and down) a bit and the left hand dash lcd has "IN 02" in it and it flashes twice then goes to the milege. After a while (2/3mins) it starts to run fine. The MPG disply reads 15mpg and it smells really rich. The temp guage doesnt move from the cold position, the oil temp is around 80degC. I think the thermostat has been removed and as a result the choke is stayin on, therfore low mpg readings. Anyone got any thoughts on it? Cheers Dave.

notquitecornish
18-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Dave.

First of all, the "IN 02" message means that your car is due a major service with VW (when a dealer services a Golf, they are supposed to reset a computer which records your milage and calculates your next service). If you've had work done recently and/or the clock was simply never rest, ignore it. Mine's been flashing "IN 01" for ages, I serviced my car in August but couldn't reset mine!

Not sure how similar a problem I had is to yours, but when I first acquired my car it sounded a bit rough when idling; revs would go up and down on their own, and there was a metallic rattling. In my case it turned out the back exhaust box was...let's just say it was in an awful state! Had that replaced, new oil and filters and new plugs and it seemed to clear up.

Hope this is of some use.

Tom.

paddyperv1
18-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Dave.

First of all, the "IN 02" message means that your car is due a major service with VW (when a dealer services a Golf, they are supposed to reset a computer which records your milage and calculates your next service). If you've had work done recently and/or the clock was simply never rest, ignore it. Mine's been flashing "IN 01" for ages, I serviced my car in August but couldn't reset mine!

Not sure how similar a problem I had is to yours, but when I first acquired my car it sounded a bit rough when idling; revs would go up and down on their own, and there was a metallic rattling. In my case it turned out the back exhaust box was...let's just say it was in an awful state! Had that replaced, new oil and filters and new plugs and it seemed to clear up.

Hope this is of some use.

Tom.
Cheers Tom, Ive just got the car, am gonna do a good service on it and hopefully that should sort it out. Thanks for the help. Dave.