PDA

View Full Version : A100 Avant erratic speedo

per3604
18-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I have an A100 Avant 2.0E petrol. It was first registered in Sept 1992 and has covered 165,000 miles virtually trouble free. I have had it from new.
The speedo has now started behaving very erratically, sometimes not working at all and sometimes working perfectly and sometimes registering no more than a max speed of 45 MPH even when I am doing 70mph.
It also sometimes sticks at 30mph even when the engine is switched off. All of this can happen in the space of a few hours. There is no consistency to it at all, except that it rarely goes above 45mph.
I am wondering if it is possible to service the speedo on its own or does this mean that the whole dash has to be replaced? As the car is in excellent condition throughout I don't want to scrap it but the cost of replacing the whole dash through a dealer could be more than the car is worth.

Alternatively could this be a fault with the "sensor" which is presumably located in the gearbox?
Has anyone got any useful ideas. By the way I live in Herefordshire near the Welsh border so I cant get any of the London based support services to advise me.

Thanks

:confused:

a8 tech
18-11-2007, 11:41 AM
you may find water ingress on the speedo drive multiplug connector and yes the dash insert can be opened and repaired

per3604
18-11-2007, 03:28 PM
you may find water ingress on the speedo drive multiplug connector and yes the dash insert can be opened and repaired

Thanks I'll give my local dealer a try - unless someone has a better idea.

artan
20-11-2007, 08:32 AM
No need to take it to a dealer, it's really easy to do.
I have a audi 100 myself and all you need to do is remove the steeringwheel (preferred - if you take away the plastic around the steering column you can remove the dash as well) It is the 26 pins golden / yellow connector on the top left (if you are looking at the back of the dashboard).
Usually fixed with contact spray.
Here is some more info:
http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/instrument.html

per3604
21-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I will have a go and see what results.

Thanks for your time.