PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage Diesel

claret73
18-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi

Seen a MK3 Diesel 1.9 GL TDIwith 217K Miles on clock. Pics of exterior look good & states FSH...

Should I even go near it???

Doing about 800 miles a week at mo to & from Dorset to Cornwall. Mainly MWay mileage...£700 is the offer...

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=628408294

Any ideas??
Cheers
Andy

RickT
18-11-2007, 01:52 AM
For the amount of miles you will be doing i would not touch it to be honest...

Yes, the car does look nice from the picture below, but my concern would be the over parts, these engines do have a long life but as said above, the milage you are looking at doing a week could be a issue..

I have just looked on the Auto Trader website and for upto £1000 you can get a 1996-97 1.9 Diesel with about 130k miles...

I would have a look about..

Rick

claret73
18-11-2007, 01:59 AM
Cheers

Will check back to AutoTrader...not much round Cornwall so will have to travel I guess.
Thanks again
Andy

RickT
18-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Cheers

Will check back to AutoTrader...not much round Cornwall so will have to travel I guess.
Thanks again
Andy

No worries.... just a thought... if you have around £1k to spend.. how about an early passat? (one of the face lifted versions).. i think they are around £1500 now??)

or... How about a (people will kill me for saying this here! LOL! ) a Vectra Diesel as these are cheap now, cheap to run, parts are cheap..?? or even a Focus if your just wanting a car?

If not.. try and look at all cars in the south of england and be prepared to travel to find the right one.

Rick

claret73
18-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Currently have a BMW 1997 318i Touring...

Just want to change over to a diesel (even though fuel prices on the up...) after a smaller space too & would like to stay with the German Marque hoping for reliability...

But Thanks for sticking yer neck out with the Vectra Post! Reason for being here is working now...sort of...:D

RickT
18-11-2007, 02:28 AM
lol.. i know..

I would stay with the German Marque .. im sure you will find something out there...

if you need anything else or second opinions feel free to drop a post!!

Rick

devonutopia
18-11-2007, 11:19 AM
With FSH I would not be bothered by 217,000 miles. It's obviosuly not an ex-taxi which is reassuring, and those miles are likely to have been spent on the A30 cruising. At that mileage it has probably just had the cambelt done, and those engines are quite easy to work on. I had a W plate octavia TDI which I bought as a non-runner. 200k on the clock and all that had happened was the water pump had gone, and it had slipped a tooth on the cambelt. Took less than an hour to change the belt and the pump and she was running beautifully again. 110bhp TDI engine felt very pleasant indeed.