PDA

View Full Version : Locking Wheel Nut Spanner

davidhardie
17-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi all

Since I had the tyres changed on the car, I have not seen the little wrap containing the wheel nut spanner and special nut, so either the tyre bar or myself has lost it.

Hence I cant get the wheels of the car.

Does this mean I have to get a dealer to remove the nuts and sell me a new set? :zx11:

Any hints?

cheers, David

Izalman
18-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Its unlikely that the dealer will sell you the little adapter to fit the locking bolt, they usually come a as set with the bolt & adapter.
I have seen in some TRADE auto factors (not Hollyfords or BNQ) special thin wall super tough sockets with left hand internal threads that fit on the wheel bolt, as they are wound onto the bolt they grip the bolt & undo it - very smart.
Only other way is a hammer & small chisel, replacement locking wheel bolts are available at loads of places.
Mine are 'spline drive' similar to head bolts, again a decent tool wholesaler / Snap On or Britool mobile guy will have something - expect to pay a lot....

Mike

stevegrass777
18-11-2007, 01:27 PM
http://www.toolbay.biz/categories.asp?categoryid=520&parentid=382

oiltrap
18-11-2007, 07:19 PM
hi just had same problem i used deep scocket that was just too small and hammered it on a bit brutle but worked for me then replaced with after market locking bolts good luck

patzer
19-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Ditto for the above,

At least in my case I know that I lost the adapter myself:o

I brought it to my local dealer and they wouldn't even let me take out the bolts myself and they certainly wouldn't sell me an adapter.

In the end I bought 4 standard bolts for €22 :aargh4:, they must cost 2p each to make.

I have to say that unless you have very expensive alloys or live in a rough area ;) that you would be as well replacing them with standard bolts, even the local ********* recommended to do the same.

Hope this helps,

Pat

nick,m
20-11-2007, 01:26 PM
David
Just bought my Passat (Saturday), but no wheel nut key. Took the car to my local dealer yesterday. They brought out their "Master Set" of keys, found the one which fits and ordered it for me. Cost £12. No hassle, not too expensive.

Nick

oiltrap
20-11-2007, 04:53 PM
your dealer good un mine are not that clever but they like my money can,t be all bad?? ;)