PDA

View Full Version : another one for ya's...

Dollso
16-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Last month I Bought my mates 1995 VW Golf Driver 1.8i ADZ with 145K on the clock and what appears to be all the GTI's extras. He sold it to me for £150! so it's my wee project.. So far I have fixed an Oil leak (pressure sensors and rocker gasket), fixed an engine problem (Throttle Position sensor replaced) and fixed a loud noise from back wheels (new bearings) and to top it off did a full service, as well as a good clean and tidy (all totalling around £200).. car is running really good except for a loud knocking noise (sounds like its coming from the back) but only when starting and with a passenger (doesn't happen when I'm on my own), if I get out to check for the noise it stops lol goes away after a min or two driving.. in the last year my mate has had: new clutch, full exhaust, both rear bush's, new battery, front drivers side shock, both wishbone bushes, new break pipes, thermostat and ignition coil fitted.. any ideas?

notquitecornish
17-11-2007, 10:07 PM
I've not got any ideas as such, but I've got what sounds like a similar problem with my '94 Golf GL. There's a knocking/straining noise that seems to come from the rear or centre of the car, but only when I've got one or more passengers (and I can't hear anything when I pull up leaving the car idling either!).

I had a quick glance at the underside of the chassis one time with the engine running and there's a small chance the cat converter's loose and therefore rubs the adjoining bits and pieces but I can't think why. It only seems to happen over speed bumps, pot holes (at low speeds), transitions between level and sloped driveways...that sort of thing.

I've had the back box replaced, new shocks and other than those issues worked on in its last MOT, nothing jumps out as faulty (for a car in its condition in any case).

paddyperv1
18-11-2007, 02:41 PM
hello there. Ive got a Mk3 1993 GTI and i had the same sort of problem. When you set off you hear a rattiling sound around the centre to rear of the car and it goes away when warmed up. I put my car on a ramp and had a look underneath. I found that the exhaust was very close to the centre mount. so as i set off the exhaust would vibrate and rattle on the mount. I just put some thick heat resistant padding between the two. Its now totaly silent. Bit of a cowboy move, but it worked!