melluish
16-11-2007, 01:39 PM
It has been occasionally difficult for some months now. Sometimes it goes
into first instead of reverse. Normally selecting first then reverse works,
but this morning (below freezing) it took five minutes trying before I could
back out of the drive.

I suspect it is a linkage problem.
Car has done 156,000 miles.

Is it a matter of just replacing the cables?
Is it a DIY job?

kenney
16-11-2007, 05:53 PM
try first wit a basic adjustment of the cables,have a look at the selector mechanism,both under the gear stick, and on the gear box,see if there is any sign of excesive wear.

melluish
29-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I took the car back to Mr Clutch, who replaced my clutch in January this year, to complain about clutch judder and asked them to look at the linkage.

They said that part of the linkage mechanism was broken, and as it might have been them when the did the clutch, they replaced it free of charge.

Selecting reverse does seem better, but I now have no reversing lights. It appears to be the switch.

I will go back to Mr Clutch and see what they say.

the_old_diver
30-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I had a similar problem a few months ago [on my 96 1.9 TD Umwelt] before another bit broke :-) - eventually I noticed that a moulded plastic cover was jamming it where the cables join the selector mechanism under the bonnet . This cover looked perfectly normal - it was just not where it should have been. I just picked it up and threw it in the boot. Sorted.

passatdiver
19-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago [on my 96 1.9 TD Umwelt] before another bit broke :-) - eventually I noticed that a moulded plastic cover was jamming it where the cables join the selector mechanism under the bonnet . This cover looked perfectly normal - it was just not where it should have been. I just picked it up and threw it in the boot. Sorted.:biglaugh:
I have a similar problem so I hope the solution is the same :beerchug:

passatdiver
20-07-2010, 05:38 PM
:biglaugh:
I have a similar problem so I hope the solution is the same :beerchug:

Update:I tightened a locking nut on the end of the cable and now I can reverse again :)