PDA

View Full Version : 2.0TDI - 140, Whistle? Air leak on idle

RickT
16-11-2007, 12:12 PM
MK5 Golf, 2.0TDI - 140, Whistle? Air leak on idle

Check question...

A mate of mine appears to have a air leak which is producing the sound of a whistle / hist on idle and under load..

(before you say it... no its not the general nosie of the turbo!:approve:)

Any common hoses on theses lumps which fail??

Car appears to be running as expected, no loss of power or loss in MPG, no over rev's from auto chock etc etc...

Im going to nip out shortly and have a look so any thoughts??

Thanks

Rick

chrisvrscrx
16-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Just check all the vacum pipes going to and from the turbo, check for lose connections and splits. Look everywhere there are quite a few.

RickT
16-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Just check all the vacum pipes going to and from the turbo, check for lose connections and splits. Look everywhere there are quite a few.

Cheers... is there a common hose? :biglaugh:

I will let you know my findings!

Rick

RickT
16-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi,

Just checked and the noise is the turbo spooling at 1500 rpm, its seems to be louder than normal, its pretty hard to exlain but its a "brrrrr" noise... once the rpm gets to around 2000rpm you hear the turbo whistling as normal and the sound fades under the noise of the engine..

Just checked on another 2.0 TDI and the noise is there but its only about half as loud...

Any ideas??

Rick

chrisvrscrx
16-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Whats the mileage? Did you check all the hoses?

RickT
16-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi mate,

Milage is around 35k on the effected car, and the milage on the car we compared is at 46k.

I checked all the hoses i could, without taking the shield off.

Theres no air leak of which i can seE??

Rick

descb600f
29-11-2007, 11:52 AM
If it's not effecting power masively I'd say it wasn't an air leak as the lack of a signal to the ECU would put it into limp home mode or just make it feel real slow I sorted a 1.9 Ibiza and the change was like night and day.
Sounds like it might be a Turbo on the way out to me.
Wonder if the sound is poor oil flow to the bearing on the turbo