PDA

View Full Version : Creaky front suspension

tommyweaves
15-11-2007, 08:29 PM
My 55 plate 2.0tdi Saloon has had creaky suspension almost ever since I bought it. It does it most when you go over speed bumps (I don't drive over them fast incidentally!).

Has anyone else had this problem?

(I also had a little rattle in the passenger side dash area which has now gone away since "front console bushes" were replaced - thought this might help someone!)

GilesC
15-11-2007, 08:33 PM
My 2.0 TDi does exactly the same over speed bumps but not any other time.

Interesting re front console bushes. Was that done under warranty?

Thanks

Giles

tommyweaves
16-11-2007, 12:21 AM
My 2.0 TDi does exactly the same over speed bumps but not any other time.

Interesting re front console bushes. Was that done under warranty?

Thanks

Giles
Yes, done under warranty, and they said they were going to replace the subframe mounting bushes to address the creaks in the suspension but it seems they've not done it, so back to the garage for another go under warranty before I reach 60k miles!

gazza007
16-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Snap!! horrible over speed humps especially those little hard rubber ones. Let us know how you get on..

tommyweaves
16-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Snap!! horrible over speed humps especially those little hard rubber ones. Let us know how you get on..

Spoke to garage this morning to confirm whether they'd changed the subframe mounts and it seems not, as the parts are on back order. They're going to call me when they've got the parts and can get them fitted. I'll post when the work gets done and whether it fixes the problem.

gazza007
16-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I decided to call my dealer anyway, very obliging & helpful, going in 26th after I return from Costa Del Sol

angus
16-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Amazing!

I took my 56 reg TDI Sport Estate in to the dealers this morning to get a new seat cover fitted (passenger, warranty job as the headrest holes are too big) and asked them to check front subframe bushes as I have started getting the creak going over speed humps.
I honestly didn`t know this was a common affliction until looking on the site this morning.
Co-incidence or what?

carl s
16-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Snap ! Although I assumed it was the anti-rollbar bushes which is what it was on my last car. I have to go over around 30 speedbumps every day going to work & back so, it seems a symptom of modern driving :(

I'll probably wait until the service is due unless they start doing it on normal driving.

chrisvw
16-11-2007, 06:15 PM
And another one. It seems to be worse when the car is cold. I have some speed bumps outside work. The creaking is nowhere near as bad going in to work when the car has warmed up as when it's been left all day and setting off to come home.

angus
19-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Just to update those watching, mine went in on Friday for a seat cover, I told them about the bushes, bushes ordered on Friday, phone call today (monday 11.00am) and its ready to collect!

If you`re being told the bushes are on back order someone may be being a tad economical with the truth!

tommyweaves
19-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Just to update those watching, mine went in on Friday for a seat cover, I told them about the bushes, bushes ordered on Friday, phone call today (monday 11.00am) and its ready to collect!

If you`re being told the bushes are on back order someone may be being a tad economical with the truth!

Thanks for update Angus, has it fixed the problem?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on my parts arriving until middle of next week, the I'll start making a nuisance of myself! I'm assuming we're talking about the same parts?! (They replaced the front console bushes without any availability issues)

angus
20-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Just for clarification, the warranty form says "replace both front suspension arms".

It has certainly done the trick, but I hope they don`t need replacing every 25k. Used to have a Company Sierra (a long time ago!) and that required new suspension arms every year, and new front discs every 6000 mile service. A good car held together with rubbish components.

Spiceman
21-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Glad to hear this, my wife thinks I'm going mad as I complain about the crunch over speed humps etc. Can not believe the poor quality of the car after 15K, I also have rattle on the passenger side of the dashboard, and the ignition key rattles in its slot when it cold!!

:(:confused:

gazza007
26-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Update..... Dealer has told me that the Wishbone Bushes need replacing but out of stock, so they tried the complete arms which are out of stock too. They have ordered both & will fit which arrives first. They also noted a few dashboard/trim squeeks so they are going to try & eliminate those while they have the car, they said that they use a silicon spay to reduce friction between the panel fits!!! At least they showing an interest in the car & providing good customer service. Just need to remember to press the clutch pedal in the 3 cyl Polo I have !!!!!

gazza007
28-11-2007, 09:28 AM
They managed to get the bushes in the end, picked up this morning. No funny noises now & feels much firmer & was normal over the speed humps. Going back in for the interior noises on 10th as they needed the Polo back.

tommyweaves
28-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Update:

Took the car in today to have what I thought were the subframe mounting bushes replaced. Was subsequently told that it was actually going to be the vacuum unit bracket that would be replaced. The boy at the service desk showed me the new part and I immediately knew it would make no difference as it was a flimsy mild steel bracket, but he obviously knew better (and had a different understanding of fundamental physics to my own) so I let them carry on replacing it.

They called this afternoon to say it was ready, so I asked if it had been test driven and they said "yes", and they confirmed the noise had gone. I left the garage and went straight to the nearest speed bump and guess what.......it still creaks! Surprise! Surprise! Back to the garage, where I bypassed the idiot team that are only qualified to put tags on car keys, and spoke direct to the service manager. He says he's going to put a technical request in and see what they come back with in the next few days. I asked him to clarify what they'd actually replaced when they said they'd done the "front console bushes" a few weeks ago, and he said they were the subframe mounting bushes at the rear of the subframe. I told him what had been reported on here (you'd think someone from VW would read these forums wouldn't you?!) and left it at that. I'm expecting a call in a few days.

I'm not actually that bothered by the noise, as long as it's not the start of something major, but I'm start to get irritated at being bullsh1tted by people who should have stayed a little longer in education. Thanks Tony & Gordon, all that extra tax we've given you to spend is really paying off............GGGGRRRRRR

Quatrelle
28-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Whilst I can sympathise with you on the failure of your dealer to rectify the problem, and can understand your anger, the 'boy' must have had a reasonable education to be able to 'bullsh1t' you into leaving your car with them in order to have an obviously useless part replaced. Would it not have been better to speak directly to the service manager before you agreed to leave the car? Was it not possible that the 'boy' was only telling you what he'd been told to tell you?

I've had my share of useless dealers over the years, but I've never yet felt the need to blame their inadequacies on whatever political party was in power at the time - this is a forum for the VW B6, so please spare us the politics - it's difficult enough to escape from it at the best of times.;)

Thanks for the follow-up, I'm sure I heard mine creak last week.

P.S. No, I didn't vote them in.:p

tommyweaves
28-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Whilst I can sympathise with you on the failure of your dealer to rectify the problem, and can understand your anger, the 'boy' must have had a reasonable education to be able to 'bullsh1t' you into leaving your car with them in order to have an obviously useless part replaced. Would it not have been better to speak directly to the service manager before you agreed to leave the car? Was it not possible that the 'boy' was only telling you what he'd been told to tell you?

I've had my share of useless dealers over the years, but I've never yet felt the need to blame their inadequacies on whatever political party was in power at the time - this is a forum for the VW B6, so please spare us the politics - it's difficult enough to escape from it at the best of times.;)

Thanks for the follow-up, I'm sure I heard mine creak last week.

P.S. No, I didn't vote them in.:p

Thanks for putting me right ;)

Quatrelle
28-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for putting me right ;)I suppose I was having a moan, but you too must be sick of politics and policitians, especially after these past few weeks. I am, and I don't live in the UK and am not affected by their bungling.:(

Let us know when the dealer eventually gets his act together....

gazza007
29-11-2007, 08:56 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3510109

ajweekes
05-12-2007, 04:14 PM
My car has the same problem, just had a service and asked them to check the front wishbone bushes. Interestingly when I asked them what work was done on the suspension, they said this is a known issue with many customers complaining of the same problem. VW Germany is working on a solution and will be issuing a technical service bulletin, they can’t do any work until this is done! Anyone else been told this?

james_tiger_woo
06-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Just noticed that mine does the same.... It needs to go back to sort a dent anyway....

tommyweaves
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Update:

I called into the garage today for some oil, and took the opportunity to check on progress with the service manager's efforts to get an answer on the creaky suspension. (I think they're getting bored of seeing me now!)

Anyway, he was at a meeting at VW in Milton Keynes yesterday and asked the question on the creaks. Apparently there's a new design of bush for the front suspension, but they need a special tool to remove the old one/fit the new one. So, they've ordered (or will be ordering) the new tool and the new bushes and will let me know when they arrive.

(I'm amazed given the response to this thread that it had never been mentioned on this forum before!)

gazza007
12-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Over the years I've had good & bad car dealers, fortunately this one can't do enough to help. Had it back after 2 days fixing the squeaks that they identified after doing the bushes. They have gone right through the car as all my stuff had been put in boxes from the boot & dash area's. My only gripe (Ha Ha) is that after driving a manual Polo, I did an emergency stop last night as I'm looking for a clutch when stopping & hit the larger brake pedal of the DSG with my left foot!!!

Bloater
03-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Add mine to the list of creaking suspension. My dealer, local to me in Milton Keynes claims to have fixed it by packing the bushes with "special" grease;). Obviously it has made no difference to the car sound over bumps, but I have lost faith in their ability to fix anything. Unfortunately all my local dealers appear to be the same clowns, so not sure what to do.

I am posting another message with some other issues, so would appreciate any help.

Bloater

james_tiger_woo
03-01-2008, 10:38 AM
My creaking has been sorted - something was oiled/greased and it's all ok now :)

Well, the suspension's quiter at any rate - the mudflaps still drag on the ground over speedbumps....

PNS2007
03-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi, my 2006 Passat sport has had this problem, I first heard the noisy creaking when I was driving without the stereo on just before christmas. Book it into dealers who confirmed new bushes needed. They Phoned up yesterday to say the bushes had arrived and they were fitted today. I wouldn't accept packing with grease personally.

james_tiger_woo
03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
I stand corrected - it still creaks......

Quatrelle
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
...... I wouldn't accept packing with grease personally.Neither would I, packing bushes with grease is dealerspeak for bodge....:(

Slimbarry
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Guess what? Another creaky one.

I had the car in today for them to fit new sensors for the keyless entry system - which works now. I asked them to look at the creaking. They have said it is the steering rod track end bushes and of course the parts are on order.... I'll see what the result is.

joakimi
28-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Mine was fixed on warranty. New bussings for the suspension and the creak was gone. Also the glowebox rattle was fixed with some kind of insulation tape. It really is a relief now when the creak and rattle is gone.
You don't need to drive around with the stereo on all the time.

james_tiger_woo
28-01-2008, 01:45 PM
You don't need to drive around with the stereo on all the time.

Of course you do :D Lol

My car's in the dealer to have all the locks replaced (long story) and I'm hoping they'll look at my creaking suspension. Again...

Bloater
28-01-2008, 02:14 PM
After destroying another set of front tyres in 7000 miles (Cheap Continentals under maintenance) my car is again booked into the dealer (11th Feb). Mind you I was speaking to another Sport Passat owner at the tyre place, and he only gets 10k from these tyres, on the Motorway. To that end I don't think that 7K is too bad in Milton Keynes, with roundabouts, braking, accelerating, and cornering quick on the stiffened car. I have complaing numerous times about the poor grip levels of the conti's, but am told thats all they fit. Ho hum.

They are looking at the wheel alignment, along with the creaking front suspension (again) and the groaing steering rack when turning left (again)

Ive also added the slightly wayward climate control to the list, in the hope that I may get some air in the car.

I'll let you all know what they do with the creaking, and whether any parts are actually available.:beerchug:

iaint
29-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Mind you I was speaking to another Sport Passat owner at the tyre place, and he only gets 10k from these tyres, on the Motorway. To that end I don't think that 7K is too bad in Milton Keynes, with roundabouts, braking, accelerating, and cornering quick on the stiffened car. :beerchug:

Something sounds not quite right there. Admittedly I don't have a sport, only an SE with 16" wheels and without the lowered suspension. But I've just got 30,000 motorway miles out of a set of continentals on the front and the rears have plenty of life left in them.

I'd get your alignment or something checked, in my opinion that's excessive wear.

Cheers
Iain

iaint
30-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Anyway, back to the creaking suspension. I know I'm joining this topic rather late in the day but this advice may be useful to someone.

My car has also been suffering from creaking front suspension from almost the day I got it. During the first service I pointed this out only to be told no fault has been found. Sure enough, as soon as I drove over the first speed bump I heard it again.

I was waiting until my second service to bring it up again but today my car went to the garage for a different fault, so I thought it was a good time to raise the subject again.

But, and here's the point of my story, I printed out this thread and took it with me to show it was a common fault. When I picked the car up I was again told they couldn't recreate the fault but in light of my evidence (the printout) they are ordering the bushes and will replace them under warranty to solve my problem.

The moral of this story is therefore to print off this thread and take it with you, it may be the difference between having no success and getting your creaking fixed.

Cheers
Iain

joakimi
31-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Anyway, back to the creaking suspension. I know I'm joining this topic rather late in the day but this advice may be useful to someone.

My car has also been suffering from creaking front suspension from almost the day I got it. During the first service I pointed this out only to be told no fault has been found. Sure enough, as soon as I drove over the first speed bump I heard it again.

I was waiting until my second service to bring it up again but today my car went to the garage for a different fault, so I thought it was a good time to raise the subject again.

But, and here's the point of my story, I printed out this thread and took it with me to show it was a common fault. When I picked the car up I was again told they couldn't recreate the fault but in light of my evidence (the printout) they are ordering the bushes and will replace them under warranty to solve my problem.

The moral of this story is therefore to print off this thread and take it with you, it may be the difference between having no success and getting your creaking fixed.

Cheers
Iain

This is exactly what I did and it worked. I did not tell them to read the thread but told the service manager that I left a print of it on the passenger seat.

tommyweaves
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Dear loyal followers of this thread:

My latest news: Called the dealer earlier this week to find out whether they had the new design console bushes and the "special new tool from Germany" to replace them. I'd been waiting since before Xmas for the dealer to call me and I was getting bored! They reported that they had the new tool, but had to check whether the parts had arrived and they'd call me back. No call. Called again today, yes, the parts had arrived. By the way I believe these are replacement REAR console bushes as opposed to the front ones I'd had replaced before. Time will tell whether this is correct; judging from previous experience they may actually have ordered a "feu orange". (Translation not required thank you Quatrelle)

(Quick rant - Why can't THEY call ME??! Are their systems so poor that they can't manage that process? What's taken them so long?! GGRRRRR Rant over.)

Anyway, car is now booked in for Tuesday 5th Feb for the work to be done - under warranty. I wait with baited breath for the outcome and will be posting the results on Tuesday evening.

tommyweaves
05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
SORTED!!

Ok, here it is:

I have had the lower wishbone bushes replaced on both sides. These are NOT the console bushes. The car is a now a dream to drive over speed bumps (I've just done every speed bump in town, and not a squeak!)

The service manager came out to speak to me as he knew we'd been trying to find a solution to this for months: He explained that the lower front wishbone bush has been re-designed (I understand the new bush gives better clearance on something or other) and VW Germany recommended that this new bush be fitted if the suspension was creaking. I also understand, as posted before, that a new tool is required in order to remove the old bushes prior to fitting the new design.

If your dealer tells you he doesn't have a solution for the creaking, I suggest you quote the above.

And yes, it was done under warranty!

james_tiger_woo
05-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I think I might take this in with me when I get around to it....

aaman
28-02-2008, 08:52 PM
has any one got the part numbers of the parts thats been replaced or the tec note number as my dealer has no idea. thanks :zx11:

lesleystoddart
28-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Not been on for a while but glad I read this thread, ours has been squeaking around the passenger dash board for the last couple of weeks - will get on to the dealer in the morning!

aaman
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
quote=gazza007;98962]They managed to get the bushes in the end, picked up this morning. No funny noises now & feels much firmer & was normal over the speed humps. Going back in for the interior noises on 10th as they needed the Polo back.[/quote]
my dealer very unhelpfull. has any one got the tec note number or part numbers. wots the dealers name and number whos done the work. thanks :1zhelp:

dat90
03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
The creaking/groaning as you go over speed bumps sounds like an annoying problem I had on a golf estate. It was caused by overspill brake fluid running down from the reservoir and onto the offside anti roll bar bush. You wouldn't think it was such a small thing causing such a noise, but change it, or both, and it's gone. Pretty easy to change, especially if you undo the steering ball joint to swing it out the way....and pretty inexpensive too. The fluid had changed the rubber enough to cause the problem, nothing serious but very annoying and it sounded more serious.
If you have this problem....have you had your brake fluid changed just before it appeared?

Gaz_2005_Passat
05-03-2008, 04:21 AM
I had the exact same problem, and they repaired the bushes under warranty, a week later its making the creaking noise again only on the other side so back in it goes!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

tommyweaves
06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Quick update:

It's now been a while since I had my creaky suspension fixed (with the new design of lower wishbone bushes being fitted) and I've done a couple of thousand miles. I'm pleased to report that the creak has NOT returned.

P.S.

If it helps anyone: the dealer I took it to was Wayside in Letchworth, Hertfordshire. Whilst it took a while to get the problem fixed, in fairness to them they stuck with the problem and eventually found the solution. (Well done the service manager, Nigel). They've never quibbled warranty issues, nor ever suggested failures on the car are my fault (I had a fuel pump failure too), and they invariably give the car a good clean on every visit.

I'm a fair sort of person, but I do demand good service, and in return I'm a loyal customer. (I've done 55k miles and this dealer has done all my servicing and warranty work; maybe this helps!)

After reading some of the dealer experiences on here I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due.

guyshotgun
06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey thanks for this. Mine does exactly the same creaking noise, but it's only when i make a tight turn. Was wondering what it could be

aaman
06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Quick update:

It's now been a while since I had my creaky suspension fixed (with the new design of lower wishbone bushes being fitted) and I've done a couple of thousand miles. I'm pleased to report that the creak has NOT returned.

P.S.

If it helps anyone: the dealer I took it to was Wayside in Letchworth, Hertfordshire. Whilst it took a while to get the problem fixed, in fairness to them they stuck with the problem and eventually found the solution. (Well done the service manager, Nigel). They've never quibbled warranty issues, nor ever suggested failures on the car are my fault (I had a fuel pump failure too), and they invariably give the car a good clean on every visit.

I'm a fair sort of person, but I do demand good service, and in return I'm a loyal customer. (I've done 55k miles and this dealer has done all my servicing and warranty work; maybe this helps!)

After reading some of the dealer experiences on here I think it's only fair to give credit where it's due.

hi can you get the part numbers of the parts fitted as the dealers around my way have not come across this prob thanks

Quatrelle
06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
hi can you get the part numbers of the parts fitted as the dealers around my way have not come across this prob thanksIt would certainly be a help - I think mine are getting noisy, and I'm not sure I can translate "new design of lower wishbone bushes" into an acceptable translation that my French dealer would understand :mad:

aaman
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
just got passat back from dealer the part number for the replacement lower suspension arms is 3c0407151e its the same for both sides

Quatrelle
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
just got passat back from dealer the part number for the replacement lower suspension arms is 3c0407151e its the same for both sidesCheers aaman:beerchug:

Is that part number for the arms or the replaced bushes?

aaman
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Cheers aaman:beerchug:

Is that part number for the arms or the replaced bushes?

that part number is the complete arm with the bush

Quatrelle
11-03-2008, 07:06 PM
that part number is the complete arm with the bushThanks again aaman - didn't realise they'd have to change the the bushes and the arms.

Having the part no. will make my life much easier when the time comes.:approve:

Went over a couple of humps today in the rain, couldn't hear any creaks, which seems to suggest that water can be an excellent lubricant at times! Something I can easily explain in French.

Gaz_2005_Passat
14-03-2008, 03:00 AM
I had the exact same problem, and they repaired the bushes under warranty, a week later its making the creaking noise again only on the other side so back in it goes!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

My dealer replaced both sets of wish bone bushes under manaufacturer warranty.

Im very pleased!

ajweekes
14-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Fixed.... Gave up waiting for local dealer to solve this. Went to another garage, fixed this and all my other little problems first time round. They also did the first service for £167 (local garage wanted £250). At last some customer service from a VW dealer!!

hitachizx
17-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Mine has suffered the same problem, told the dealer it had a creek from the front when i went over speed humps. So they changed the rear susspension bushes which made no sense to me at all. Low and behold creeking again the next morning i gave up in the end.

aaman
19-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Mine has suffered the same problem, told the dealer it had a creek from the front when i went over speed humps. So they changed the rear susspension bushes which made no sense to me at all. Low and behold creeking again the next morning i gave up in the end.

wot bushes did the dealer do and did you have any noise from the rear. if your car is a right hand drive the part number of the parts you need are 3C0407151E its the same number for both sides its n/s and o/s front lower wish bones.

james_tiger_woo
28-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Gah - I've just been for my service and they didn't even check the suspension as I asked them to.

I went out for a drive with an engineer and - lo and behold no creaking :(

It'll be back - it always comes back - Gah!

And the engineer said that it wasn't a known problem - Grrrrrr

Quatrelle
29-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Gah - I've just been for my service and they didn't even check the suspension as I asked them to.

I went out for a drive with an engineer and - lo and behold no creaking :(

It'll be back - it always comes back - Gah!

And the engineer said that it wasn't a known problem - GrrrrrrWere the roads wet by any chance?

james_tiger_woo
29-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Were the roads wet by any chance?

Yes, which is probably why I didn't hear it :mad::mad:

Quatrelle
30-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Yes, which is probably why I didn't hear it :mad::mad:At the wrong times, water makes an excellent lubricant....:(

dash804
10-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Very Interesting that everyone has this creaking problem.

Now my story
Golf 1.6 FSI - 06

Bought this car in march 07 with 16,000K no noises then after the first service at 20,000K the first speed bump i went over, ive got the creaking.
It doesnt matter dry/wet hot /cold the creak near side front is still there.

The garage have replaced the lower wishbone bushes but it still creaks.

So in the garage again today and this is the update

Technicians report
Road tested vehicle for noise at front. Confirmed
creak noise over speed bumps on near side front. Cleaned and greased front bushes and bolts. Tested again and fault still present.
Removed front drop links and road tested, fault still presen.
Removed gearbox mount and greased/replaced. Road tested and noise still present. removed both front struts and greased top mounts, rebuilt and raod tested. Noise still present. Loosen and retorque all subframe, steering rack and front anti roll bar bolts. noise still present. compared noise with similar car and found noise occurred in other car also.

I was told it might be best if i ring another dealership and see if they have heard of the problem. Tomorrow i'm ringing the manager to complain

:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::a argh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aar gh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

Ive thought about engine mounts but they have checked those. I did speak to another garage and they had to replaced the whole strut to a golf and it is now sorted.

Why dont we send this to watchdog? otherwise what next?

Dave

james_tiger_woo
11-04-2008, 08:59 AM
At the wrong times, water makes an excellent lubricant....:(

Well, I went back to the dealer (AGAIN!) for to resolve my iPod comedy situation. Before I went there, I happened to go via a retail park which has big sharp speed bumps, lo and behold, creaking.

I dragged an engineer down to this retail park and he confirmed the creaking :biglaugh: Hoo-flippin'-ray.

And a new creaking behind the stereo :rolleyes:

It's on the job sheet for them to check and they'd bloody well better "find" the problem. I also made a point of saying that I mentioned it a few weeks after I bought it and that the resolution then was to "pack it with grease" which didn't work - and hinted that they'd better not fob me off with that this time.

I'm bored of going to the dealership now....

dash804
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
update

VW UK now involved

Dealership has three other cars same problem

My advice is drive over small speed bumps so one side goes over then try the other rather than full width speed bumps

james_tiger_woo
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
They've found the problem and they want the car for 2 days to strip it down to check it out. (And do the ipod at the same time).

The engineer took it out for a drive and said the problem was pretty bad - resolution here we come :)

passat69
13-04-2008, 06:32 PM
hi to all.I am new in this form so i am sorry if make a mistake in posting this message.I have a passat for 2 years now and lately i can also hear a sqeaky noise from the front suspension especially on speed bumbs.The funny thing is that on a bumpy road i hear nothing. It seems that there is somthing wrong here.Another thing . I hear a very annoying noise comming from the pillar between the front door and the rear door on the passengers side. It is heard especially when i leave the car in the sun for long time. I took it to the vw dealer several times. They told me that they made some kind of grease which vw send them. but ocasionally the noise can still be heard. Any ideas please or maybe someone had this kind of problem. Thanks a lot.

james_tiger_woo
14-04-2008, 09:03 AM
hi to all.I am new in this form so i am sorry if make a mistake in posting this message.I have a passat for 2 years now and lately i can also hear a sqeaky noise from the front suspension especially on speed bumbs.The funny thing is that on a bumpy road i hear nothing. It seems that there is somthing wrong here.Another thing . I hear a very annoying noise comming from the pillar between the front door and the rear door on the passengers side. It is heard especially when i leave the car in the sun for long time. I took it to the vw dealer several times. They told me that they made some kind of grease which vw send them. but ocasionally the noise can still be heard. Any ideas please or maybe someone had this kind of problem. Thanks a lot.

I've heard the "grease" line before and I've come to the conclusion that it's a major fob off.

Try printing all this lot out and presenting it to the Service Manager - If he's savvy enough he might already be aware of the forum.

Find somewhere where this problem occurs and take a VW technician with you to demonstrate it. Insist on this and don't take no for an answer.

Quatrelle
14-04-2008, 11:15 AM
.......The funny thing is that on a bumpy road i hear nothing....... Likewise. I wonder if that is because the anti-roll bar is involved in those situations and affects the way the suspension works?

Any experts out there?

Astonm
15-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that I have had this Creaky Suspension for the last 6 months and to be honest was not really concerned about until I read this thread.

Well the was in for a service yesterday and I just thought I'd mention the creaks and the service bloke said "Yes Sir it is a problem and we keep plenty of spare stock so we will do them for you today" I picked up the car later that day and the car felt totally different and no creaks :D so thanks chaps

I just need to sort out the wind noise

james_tiger_woo
23-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I've just spoken to the dealership - I called them as they hadn't called me...

They claim to have spoken with VW central who state that they are unaware of the problem - the technician is also now saying that the rear suspension bushes were cracked which might be a problem.

VW have questioned whether this is happening in extreme suspension travel circumstances (because speed bumps are extreme (FFS) - to which I replied that no, it happens on a certain bumpy road.

The service manager has now said that he wants to come with me on a test drive - annoyingly, it's now chucking it down so I can't really take it in today.

Oh, and the badge on the gearstick has now sheared off.

I'm getting a bit fed up with the time I'm spending at the dealership.... The courtesy Passat that they gave me does exactly the same thing!

Is there a VW article that I can point them at?

james_tiger_woo
23-04-2008, 12:12 PM
A result. I think.

I've just spoken to another VW dealership who have, almost immediately, told me that this is a known problem with VW Passats and is the "Console Bushes" which requires replacement of the wishbones. (I think I've understood that right).....

I've booked my car in with the other VW dealership as they seem on the ball - I think I'll be calling my local VW dealership to say that I shan't be taking my car there. The only down side is that I'll have to wait until the 12th May, but I can live with that.

limawhiskey
02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
My 06 2.0 TDI estate has recently had the front wishbones / lower arms replaced and unsurprisingly this fixed the 'creaking' the car used to suffer from. Of course it only took them about three attempts to locate the problem and they too weren't aware of other B6s with the same symptons.

I think you have to remember that the dealers are in VWs pockets and are unlikely to point out known faults on cars they are trying to sell you and buy again in the future. I'm sure VW put pressure on the dealers as well. I had a Focus once and this had a rusty door bottom, the dealer said he'd never seen one before yet other people I spoke to said it's fairly common.

One other problem my Passat has is a vibrating noise from inside the dashboard - this thread starts with the same problem. The dealer's had the dash out and couldn't find the fault, though they did crack an already 'bullet holed' windscreen so had to fit a new one:aargh4:
The dealer then searched on their internal database and said I need some new revised pipe clips and referred to Service Identifier 3023. However the clips haven't yet been manufactured so they can't book me in or let me know when they're available - chicken and egg syndrome. I'll keep trying them on a monthly basis to see if they have a part number.

The one disappointing thing about running a B6 is it doesn't feel as well made inside as the B5 model. I still run a B5 and apart from various niggly faults (all well documented) it still is a well put together car. Maybe I was expecting a big jump in 'feel' like I experienced when moving from a Mondeo to my B5. This never materialised when getting the B6, though the 2.0 TDI engine easily makes up for that......

bigrich1
23-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi Guys,

New to this forum (normally on Madabout Kitcars with my other car) but have just bought an '06 Passat B6 2.0 TDi Sport 140 as my daily driver.

79K on the clock, lots of factory options, and all the injectors in one piece still ;)

...but suffering the creaky front suspension and quite 'thumpy' on the bumps. The creaking was particularly noticeable on speed bumps.

...anyway, took it to pieces today and the cause of the creaking is very obvious...the lower wishbone front bush rubber flanges are squished against the aluminium mounting bracket at the front edge, with no lube......hence the creaking as the rubber tried to rotate on dry aluminium.

As the wishbone rear (ali) bushes were cracking I have renewed both sets of bushes (circa £120 for oem parts)-no special tools...lots of elbow grease and a decent big vice did the trick....and made sure when refitting the new front bushes that they were centralised in the wishbone fore and aft....also plenty of copaslip on the ali frame mounting so that if/when the bushes squish up again there is some decent lube, just in case.

And now it doesn't creak...tried pot holes and speed bumps....smooth as silk.

:Blush:

Rich

Tups1974
05-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Sorry to bring this old thread back out again, but I have having some major creaking noises when travelling over speed bumps and uneven road surfaces, local dealer seem useless and VWUK are much help either. As this has been ongoing for a while does anyone know if a TPI issue has been raised on this - any help would be grateful help on this one. After a chat with VWUK today they say that suspension parts are wear and tear items and only covered for 6 months! My car has only covered 38k since Oct 2006

Now starting to lose more and more faith in VW

RichardSEL
10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry to bring this old thread back out again, but I have having some major creaking noises when travelling over speed bumps and uneven road surfaces, local dealer seem useless and VWUK are much help either. As this has been ongoing for a while does anyone know if a TPI issue has been raised on this - any help would be grateful help on this one. After a chat with VWUK today they say that suspension parts are wear and tear items and only covered for 6 months! My car has only covered 38k since Oct 2006

Now starting to lose more and more faith in VW

Mine's only done 47k since new in June'06. And (see the thread Creak) took it into main agent: "I've not heard anything like
this before, sir". So gave him a printout of this thread to post 23-10-2010. Mechanic came out and diagnosed Control Arms on mine. They're
3c0 407 151 G (that's the latest revision) at £131.27 ea +VAT. Don't get, as I was offered, the E earlier revision as those may develop the same fault!

Later spoke with Volkspares (www.volkspares.co.uk (http://www.volkspares.co.uk)) that has a press and can remove and replace the offending bushes and replace with new on the existing control arms: £88 each side inc labour +VAT. Spoke with mechanic there who confirmed it was a common fault

BTW, VW Letchworth has been mentioned in this thread as providing good main agent service on this. So contacted them too and got a labour quote of:
£134.40 inc. VAT. My local main agent wants £186 +VAT for labour

Any help?
RichardSEL

RichardSEL
11-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Been following this and the thread Creak as got to have mine done.My question is which of these bushes is the Creak? The Console arms comes with "2" on diagram but does'nt the upper one need to be changed as well? And since "2" can be bought seperately can't just these two bushes be bought and then pressed into place on existing control arm? Thanks for any further info! Here's the EKTA diagram:16358

RichardSEL
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Have had another chat with Volkspares who say it's the part "3" in previous EKTA that goes. With a press these can be changed. The part "2" rarely go they say. VW part is 3c0 199 231 D at £45.90 ea +VAT. There are cheaper non-OEM around, from them £28 +VAT ea.
Have ordered for fitting tomorrow. Will revert with results!

RichardSEL

RichardSEL
13-04-2012, 06:53 PM
All went smoothly with the console bushes replacement. Except that the laser tracking firm I used (www.wheelpoweralignment.co.uk) sells replacement bush inserts for mk5 Golf (mk6 too? I dunno) These are a rubber insert with polyprop solid inner.

Although the casting of the original fit bushes are marked up as: 3c0 199 231 A (latest VW revision is D) the rubber insert is:
1k0 407 183 B. I only noticed this when I got home and washed the gunk off these old ones so didn't see the new ones' insert markings.

Erm, isn't the 1k0 parts' series for Golf?

RichardSEL

RichardSEL
19-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Wheelpower have been in touch with Powerflex (Powerflex (http://www.powerflex.co.uk)), the suppliers of replacement bush inserts. Powerflex says that although the inserts look the same between their Mk5 Golf inserts and the rubber insert for the B6 Passat, they have not tried them and so cannot verify that these inserts will work and be safe and/or operational for any length of time.

Here's a poor 'phone image of rev D bush as installed:

So far have done one round trip Liverpool 483 mile and gives the impression of being very hard in suspension.
KwikFit checked the shocks and found them alright
No creak though!
Costs: £144 labour, £110.16 for OEM bushes, £40.80 laser track after changes inc. VAT

Hope this helps someone?
RichardSEL

Later: Have read of a user that's used the solid Cupra bush (Rev E) that the noise transmitted is too much. YMMV
Meyle Products do a replacement bush for 1k0 407 183 E that's webbed -- their fact sheet adds that "for correct alignment, the ear" (a small rubber lip) "must be directed toward the middle of the vehicle." They list their bush as for Seat Cordoba, Ibiza, Skoda Fabia, Roomster, VW Fox, Polo

Tups1974
20-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Mine's booked in next week with the local dealer, after a test drive I was advised wishbone bushes (subject to check) - I've been quoted to replace either control arm or wishbone bushes (both sides) will be about £300 and my warranty should cover it. - Have to wait and see what Tuesday brings.......

Tups1974
24-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Mine's booked in next week with the local dealer, after a test drive I was advised wishbone bushes (subject to check) - I've been quoted to replace either control arm or wishbone bushes (both sides) will be about £300 and my warranty should cover it. - Have to wait and see what Tuesday brings.......

Not happy! http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon8.png Just a call from the local VW dealer (after having the car all day) saying that they've investigated the car and say that the front lover arm suspension bushes need to be changed (£290.11inc VAT), so they will order the parts and book the car back in for next week. At which point I advised them that the car was investigated on Monday last week and was booked in today for repair!

Abosulte Muppets!!

RichardSEL
24-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Will your warranty insurance cover this too?
Meantime get an indy to have a look?

Muppets isn't the word I'd use...

Tups1974
25-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Had the car done today, the warranty did pay out claiming that they are servicable items, even tho the car has only cover 38k, so had to pay the sum of £261.31 (dealer offered a 10% reduction!)

RichardSEL
16-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Just an update on this thread:
Done now 1200 miles since changing the control arm (only the bushes) with OEM ones (rev D)
Vehicle is much more responsive to any road imperfections now, meaning the shocks seem to be doing their
work more rather than there being a hard thump in the front end.
But still no creak! But I am a bit more cautious going over speed bumps

BTW, made reference to VW Letchworth earlier in thread following a recommendation. Was going to have the whole arm changed each side there, and got a quote for labour, but despite three e-mails they havn't confirmed parts' prices.

There really should be a technical service recall for this IMO as it's such a common fault that even the aftermarket companies
are making bush inserts. From reading threads, this fault occcurs from about 35,000 mile or so. Anyone's mileage with this fault earlier? 12,000 mile per year is hardly excessive over the three year warranty

RichardSEL

Quatrelle
16-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I had mine replaced for free about a year after I bought mine at the end of 2006, mainly as a result of this forum, even though I live in France.

bradot
17-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Mine was noisy but I refused to believe the bushes had worn out at only 30k so I got busy with the silicone spray. Its seems to have sorted it. I now seek out speed bumps and drive over them with the windows open listening for a squeak/clonk but nothing so far.

I went over everything I could find that had a rubber bushing and sprayed grease on the spring seats.

RichardSEL
18-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Be interested to know how long you've had the silicon spray on?
Tried that on the bushes which lasted for about 300 mile but
round here (inner London) there's just too many speed bumps!
And the creak started to return.
What with the vehicle depreciation and advancing years (so I'm
told ;-) this will be my last Passat so intend keeping. That was
the deciding factor. In fact, last VW...

RichardSEL

<later> reading my post realised I've ended on a bit of a downer!
Actually, have got vehicle running pretty much as designers intended
And it really does beat equivalent opposition IMO. It's just the
cheapening of some components +style of dealer attitude that lets
the overall package down

Tups1974
18-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Mine never creaked when it was raining or for a few days after a good downpoor, it was only after the roads and car started to dry out that the creak returned and the hotter and dryer the weather the worst the creak became, meaning that rainwater etc was acting acting a lub for the bushes, so the silcon spray is a good idea but how long will it last.

thelishman
11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Had the same issue with our 2006 Passat Sport estate since buying it a couple of years ago at 60k miles. Creaky front suspension in dry weather and especially when cold. We now have 80k miles on the clock and so have put up with it for ages. Having eventually found this thread I asked the local independant garage to have a look specifically for this problem and they confirmed the o/s/f lower control arm rear bush was badly worn. I paid £117 yesterday to have both offside and nearside bushes replaced and now it drives like a new car. The steering, ride quality and handling are definitely much better now. Worn suspension bushes were mentioned at the last (70k) dealer service but they quoted nearly £250 to fix them so I conveniently forgot about it for another year. Still, it seems it didn't do any harm to wait a while!

mywifespassat
30-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Mine was noisy but I refused to believe the bushes had worn out at only 30k so I got busy with the silicone spray. Its seems to have sorted it. I now seek out speed bumps and drive over them with the windows open listening for a squeak/clonk but nothing so far.

I went over everything I could find that had a rubber bushing and sprayed grease on the spring seats.

Hmmm... I also had creaky bushings on my car and started using a Silicone spray which did help for a few days but the thought seems to be that it hastens the "drying-out" of the rubber. I've since switched to using Lithium-based as it tends to keep things "moist". So far so good, and it's been over a month.

RichardSEL
30-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Full thread on this forum for fixing Creak! Try search function?
It's control arm bushes/blocks, need to laser track after fixing
Silicon spray only lasted for a few weeks on mine
Good luck!