PDA

View Full Version : A4 Alarm

Jimbo
09-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi Folks,

I currently run a 1996 A4 V6, and i'm starting to get the odd alarm problem such as locking / unlocking the vehicle, (the batteries in the fobs are ok) has anybody out there replaced the alarm on of one of these cars? the reason i ask is that i believe the alarm pulses twice on the lock sequence and once on the unlock so its not like any other Audi alarm i've heard of... if there is an alarm out there that can be fitted without having to rip the car to bits to get at everything then can you let me know.

many thanks

sanstorm999
23-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Hi
You dont mention any details of the vehicle, but I think you might find that your alarm is part of the Central Locking Controller housed in the boot o/s side panel (on Avants).

The siren is seperate just below it and uses backup batteries that fail after a time I have just had to replace mine.

Hope this helps.

S9

Jimbo
23-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi thanks for the reply...

its not acted up since i posted on here... strange or what :D

ghetto A4
01-10-2006, 01:52 AM
:1zhelp: i just got a 99 a4, 1.8 turbo, and it's got some problems.
the most urgent problem is that i did something and "armed" the car.
i can't open the doors without setting off the alarm, and i can't turn on the engine. i've heard that vw's and audi's require some type of procedure to disable this...like turning the key a certain number of times or something, but i don't know the exact procedure, and i've given up on guessing. can somebody tell me if there is a way to get my car working again? oh yeah, and i think that the batteries in my key fob are dead or something because it doesn't work.
if someone can get back to me, i'll be very grateful.
thank you!
oh yeah...i had to post this as a reply because i couldn't even figure out how to start a new thread.
sorry if i wasn't supposed to do this.:aargh4:

JR001
27-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi folks,
I have just replaced my alarm siren on 2002 A4 TDI 100 SE. Siren was sounding when it felt like it and was not sounding when I intruded the vehicle although the lights flashed as required.
Local Audi dealer diagnosed faulty siren (with back-up battery) and were looking for £150 supplied and fitted, or £80 for the part. Took the old one out myself and replaced with the new one. Watch out for the new sirens coming with a larger diam fixing bolt - you may have to drill a bigger hole in the fixing bracket that holds it and you'll need to have an 8mm hex nut and washer at hand too. Very easy to do.
Siren is indeed located in the DRIVER'S SIDE BOOT WELL, down below the rear light unit. Now the alarm behaves as it should.
I found out where the siren was from this Forum. Thank you.

adamss24
27-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi, your alarm should disarm when you turn the key in the lock(open the door) and the imobiliser should see(recognise) the transponder as soon as you put it in the ignition. The reason you cannot start the car is because the imobiliser stays on and the alarm is still armed. Try to open the car from the passenger door. If the alarm stops then the microswitch in the lock may be faulty, if it doesnot then you need to take the car to a dealer for matching the key to the ECU/Immo again. Make shure you have all the keys with you. There is a way to sync/program the keys without the dealers help but its verry fussy and difficult involving switching on and off the ignition a number of times....forget about it as you will give up! Keep us updated, please.

Chambo
29-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Do you have a CONLOG alarm/immobiliser? I think that thy used to be called Logic alarms.

nikhil
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
I have an Audi A4 and for the past week I have been having problem with my alarm going off. During the day its fine but in the evening it starts.

Lights don't flash but the the bleepping comes from the boot area. I have taken this to audi paid over £250.00 and last night the damn thing went off again. They repaced the alarm and tuned the sensors down. but still no luck

this is driving me mad

can anyone help me

Nik

sanstorm999
12-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I have an Audi A4 and for the past week I have been having problem with my alarm going off. During the day its fine but in the evening it starts.

Lights don't flash but the the bleepping comes from the boot area. I have taken this to audi paid over £250.00 and last night the damn thing went off again. They repaced the alarm and tuned the sensors down. but still no luck

this is driving me mad

can anyone help me

Nik

Hi Nik,
You do not mention exactly what part of the alarm system was replaced?
The symptom you describe could be the built-in backup battery in your alarm siren that has or is failing. The replacement part from Audi is around £70 and can be replaced by yourself, see previous posts.

If this part was already replaced then check the condition of your car battery. The fall in the battery state at night due to the temp drop can cause this type of problem. In fact poor battery condition causes lots of random electrical problems that often we do not diagnose as the car battery until we have investigated almost everything else.

Please let us know how you get on?

Cheers

S9

nikhil
12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
thanks for getting back to me sandstorm

the replacemnt was around £70. You could be right about the car battery. I've had the car for about 4 years now and I've never replaced the battery. it's a 2001 car so I don't think the battery has been chaged on it.

It's strange as there are no symtoms in the car that suggest the battery is failing.

If it turns out the car battery is fine can you suggest anything else? If turns out the battery is failing and this is the cause of the car alarm going off then I'll buy you a drink mate.

Thanks again

Nik:beerchug:

sanstorm999
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Nik
Its funny you should say that re battery I am on my third, had to replace it with a High-end Varta, after my wife oops sorry, some unidentifiable individual left the reading light on for two weeks while we were away this summer.

However, based on my previous battery experiences, the alarm always played up when the car battery was on its way out, even though on most days the car started and ran fine especially in the spring/summer.

I cannot blame my wife really because the battery was showing signs that it would not last this winter. i.e. if the car was not used for more than a day (which is unusual) it would be hard to start, the engine would turnover ok but would require a lot more cranking than its usual one crank and start. I originally thought it might be plugs/fuel etc. but with the new Battery its back to its normal one crank start.

For the price they charged you (£70), it looks as if Audi replaced your siren and hence your alarm backup battery, so thats out of the equation.

I suppose they checked the usual i.e. Alternator charging, power drain etc.

will have another think

Cheers
S9

nikhil
13-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Thank for your reply s9.

I got the report from Audi here:

LAB
'Carry out checks for the vehicles alarm going off all the time. Adjusted sensitivity of the interior monitoring to the lowest setting. Found alarm still going no indicators flashing. Traced fault to internal battery supply of alarm siren. Supplied and fitted new modified alarm REP siren. Left vehicle locked up all day and alarm has not triggered. Road test all OK.'

Part replaced: A8LO 951605 A Siren £69.54

As you know I still got the damn thing going off.

I left the car alarm on during the day yesterday and no problem. Before I went bed I switched it off.

In the morning I got up and switch the alarm on. The car was iced over and within less then 1 min it went off.

The car doesn't seem to have a main battery problem but I may replace it anyway. Can I replace the batt myself or will it mess up and electrical stuff, computers etc.

Thanks for your time mate.

Regards

Nik

P.S you ain't and Audi technician by any chance?

sanstorm999
13-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Thank for your reply s9.

I got the report from Audi here:

LAB
'Carry out checks for the vehicles alarm going off all the time. Adjusted sensitivity of the interior monitoring to the lowest setting. Found alarm still going no indicators flashing. Traced fault to internal battery supply of alarm siren. Supplied and fitted new modified alarm REP siren. Left vehicle locked up all day and alarm has not triggered. Road test all OK.'

Part replaced: A8LO 951605 A Siren £69.54

As you know I still got the damn thing going off.

I left the car alarm on during the day yesterday and no problem. Before I went bed I switched it off.

In the morning I got up and switch the alarm on. The car was iced over and within less then 1 min it went off.

The car doesn't seem to have a main battery problem but I may replace it anyway. Can I replace the batt myself or will it mess up and electrical stuff, computers etc.

Thanks for your time mate.

Regards

Nik

P.S you ain't and Audi technician by any chance?
Hi Nik,
No, not an Audi Tech but have owned an Audi for over 12 years now and over that time had several problems that I managed to cure using VAG-COM (Diagnostic software) and the Audi Tech Electronic manual.

The car battery is easy enough to replace on your own if you have some technical experience?
Points to look out for are:
1. ensure you have your car radio security key code, before you disconnect the battery!
2. ensure your alarm is off and doors unlocked before you disconnect the battery
2. Battery is located under the bonnet behind the brake master reservoir, and requires removal of the rubber trim and plastic cover that runs the full width of the car.
3. You will need a 12 or 13mm socket, cannot remember exact size and extendable socket wrench to undo the clamp holding down the battery.
4. Always ensure the ignition is off and all electrics are off, then remove the 'Neg' (earth) connector first. Always re-connect the 'Neg' (earth) connection last.

Ok, we have to look at what normally triggers the siren.
1. Alarm condition caused by internal ultrasonic sensor activation (do not think this is the problem)
2. Alarm condition caused by bonnet or boot sensor (could be this, but I don't think so)
3. Alarm condition caused by voltage drop (could be this)

Alarm going off still! this really does look like the backup battery in your siren is not being charged properly or is becoming discharged overnight. I am not sure how long the siren backup battery can last before it decides to sound. But the fact that you have had the siren and hence the battery recently replaced points to a charging fault or connection fault somewhere.

The siren will sound if it detects or thinks someone has disconnected your car battery or the battery voltage drops below a certain level, this maybe why your hazards do not flash when the siren goes off or do they now flash?

Cheers
S9

nikhil
13-12-2007, 03:34 PM
oK thanks

The indicators do not flash at all. I only get the beeping noise.
I'm gonna change the car battery this weekend.

I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks again

Nikhil

GroverUK
13-12-2007, 11:51 PM

this is driving me mad

can anyone help me

Nik

I am having exactly the same problem with my Audi A4 TDi 130 sport (2001). Just paid £150 to have the battery back-up and siren replaced. The garage ran a full diagnostic and also checked the convenience box in the passenger side footwell and found it to be bone-dry. Also, only had a new main car battery fitted this summer. Siren is still going off. Please help! :zx11:

nikhil
14-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Grover

I feel your pain buddy!

This thing is driving me up the bloody wall and I'm beginning hate my car. Since I bought the car it’s always been in and out for silly reasons. (Too long to list)

Do your hazard lights go on when you siren goes off?

Thing is with my car is that just the siren goes off no lights (usually in the middle of the night).

I forked out 250 quid for the fitting of a new siren as noted on previous post.

Were you having problems with your main battery or did you just replace it hoping that it would solve the problem?

I don't have any other electrical problems (touch wood) though I have noticed recently that I have to press my lock button on the key a few times before it locks or unlocks. I don't know if that is a symptom of a failing battery.

What do you think S9?

So Grover, have you not taken the car back to Audi since? How are you managing with the alarm going off?

Nik

nikhil
15-12-2007, 01:28 PM
S9

I went out this morning and replaced the main car battery. I brought the car home, parked it up, and an hour later the alarm went off again.

Any other suggestions mate?

I'll be much obliged.

Nikhil Vaja:zx11:

GroverUK
15-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Grover

I feel your pain buddy!

This thing is driving me up the bloody wall and I'm beginning hate my car. Since I bought the car it’s always been in and out for silly reasons. (Too long to list)

Do your hazard lights go on when you siren goes off?

Thing is with my car is that just the siren goes off no lights (usually in the middle of the night).

I forked out 250 quid for the fitting of a new siren as noted on previous post.

Were you having problems with your main battery or did you just replace it hoping that it would solve the problem?

I don't have any other electrical problems (touch wood) though I have noticed recently that I have to press my lock button on the key a few times before it locks or unlocks. I don't know if that is a symptom of a failing battery.

What do you think S9?

So Grover, have you not taken the car back to Audi since? How are you managing with the alarm going off?

Nik

Alright nikhil.
Only just had the siren and back up battery done on Thursday (just gone) brought it home, started going off again at about 9pm, got so regular I was out at 1 in the morning disconnecting the battery and had to leave the car unlocked all night. Took it back to the garage 1st thing yesterday.

The lights dont flash at all, only the siren goes off. It usually starts around 9 - 10pm and carries on til the car gets warmed up again.

I had the main battery replaced in the summer coz it was loosing its charge over night.

The only other electrical problem I have is with the tweeters in the front doors cackling occasionally.

Today the garage are replacing the convenience box in the passenger side footwell. The part alone is £300, so god knows how much this is gonna end up costing. It seems that they are only guessing at what it causing the problem as nothing is coming up on the diagnostics. A "process of elimination" as they call it.

I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

nikhil
16-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Good luck G

After I put the new car battery in me drove the car home and parked. The place where I had the battery done is only up then road 30 sec away.

After and hour the alarm went off. So I just left it unlocked. That evening we went out for dinner to a restaurant about 20 min way. (So there and back 40 min drive).

I parked the car up when I got home at about 10pm and decided to lock the car. It's 2.20pm now and alarm hasn't gone off YET.

I am hoping it stays that way. I still don't understand why it went off 10min after I had the new battery put in. May be it needed a charge from the alt before it was effective. So the drive that evening may have helped.

I'm still waiting for the guru S9 to give me some thoughts.

Hey S9 where are you buddy?

G I hope you get it sorted mate I know how frustrating it is and how irritated you must feel. Have a word with that Audi lot and tell them you don't want to pay for guess work. You just want to pay for the alarm to behave itself. See what happends.

Gook luck

Nikhil

GroverUK
24-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Allright Nikhil hows the car mate?

Got mine back on tuesday after they replaced the box in the passenger footwell and touch wood it hasnt gone off since, so hope thats the end of it. Still, paying the best part of £450 just to shut an alarm up takes the **** in my book but never mind its all over now hopefully.

nikhil
27-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I hope you don't have any more prbs mate.

I had to send mine back. Damn thing went off again. Audi have had the car over christmas, I'm just waiting for thier call to pick it up. They are now saying the problem is with c/locking or something. nice Juicy £450 job. They said that the alarm hasn't gone off since they've had it. I know what will happen. I'll bring it home and it will go off.

Nik