PDA

View Full Version : rattle from under a mk3 golf. (brakes maybe?)

Feemer
09-09-2006, 02:51 PM
hi guys, i was just starting to lose all hope when i found this site!

i have a 95, 2dr, 1.4 litre (abd engine) golf. ive had it a few months, and i've spent whatever needs to be spent on it to keep it tip top! but i now have a problem with it that i can't figure out on my own.

there is an awful rattle coming from underneath it when im driving on anything but the smoothest of roads. it rattles everytime i hit a bump.
the rattle stops however when i press the brakes.
as long as i have my foot on the brakes there's no rattle, and as soon as i release the brakes the rattle is there again.

i do all my mechanical work myself, so any info would be greatly appreciated. i just can't diagnose this problem! :1zhelp:
i have been under the car three times and i cant find anything loose!

Sound!

gaffer
12-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi, new to the site myself, goodstuff.

In respect of your problem, I cant comment with absolute certainty as I'm not familiar withe the MK III brakes but I feel that it originates from the brake pads. My reasoning is that I had the exact same symptom with the brakes on a 2003 jag x type. The noise was infact the pad rattling around in the caliper. The reason being the springs attached the the pad to keep them secure were insufficient and didnt do the job. Replacing these with jag pads of better quality solved the problem as the spring material was thicker and more capable.

If indeed your fault is of the same nature then you should be able to create the sound by ratling the pad in the caliper, havig removed the wheel obviously.

It's a thought, hope it helps.

Feemer
13-09-2006, 04:13 PM
ok thanks mate, i'll give that a go!

djswivel
13-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The rattle on mine was down to a bracket for the handbrake cable working loose causing the cable to bounce around.

Dead easy welding job.

Feemer
13-10-2006, 11:47 AM
sound mate!

krikim
26-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Did U solve the problem???
I have the same prob on my 03 passat.

KK