PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with noise on full steering lock?

markcass
15-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 1999 golf gti turbo. It has 19inch wheels with 225/40/19 tyres on it. I can hear a horible like metal rubing noise when i drive on full lock in a car park etc. I thought it would be the tyres rubbing so took the wheels off to inspect. There are no apparent signs of the wheel rubbing the arches anywhere. But i did notice the front drivers side drive shaft seems must be catching the anti-roll bar as there is wear on the drive shaft and the underside of the roll bar. Although when the car is jacked up you cant tell how its catching. The car has also been lowered but is on its original shocks. The car also makes a noise when going over speed bumps like metal to metal, so must be the same thing. Pease some one help and give me some advice.

Thanks Mark.

vanrudi
15-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Sounds Like Steering Belt could be gone. Costs about £20 and 1/2 hour labour.

adamss24
16-11-2007, 08:22 AM
If the suspension has been lowered, they should have changed the antiroll bar with a modified aftermarket one. Do a search for Eibach antiroll bar and DO NOT drive the car untill its sorted ! It will cost about 200 pounds and will take about an hour for a garage to fit. Replace the ARB bushes if it does not come with new ones ! This is a common problem with the ARB fouling onto the suspension leg/driveshaft...