PDA

View Full Version : A few problems....

Rough Diamond
15-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi! I have a 1990 1.3 Mk 2 golf. Its a fab car, and has only done 41k, but does have a few quirks, for example - when I turn the steering wheel round a large corner, the oil light comes on and starts buzzing, the choke reaches a certain point, and the engine cuts out - only in the winter though! which is a bit of a pain, especially at a very busy junction - all these new car owners just dont understand ha ha!
I've had it in the garage about 3 times now to get the choke re-adjusted, but it still cuts out before the engine is warmed up properly. Any ideas?

I also find that then I go for a long drive in 4th gear, when I change back down through the gears they are very sticky, does anyone else have any of these problems? I'd love to hear from you!

Oddball
19-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I think the oil light is coming on because your oil is low. Happens on roundabouts, and sharp right hand turns. The low oil level lets the G-forces pull the oil away from the pump, causing the low pressure buzz.

As for the choke and gears, i'm not sure.

Rough Diamond
20-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Oddball,
Thanks for your reply. The oil was the first thing I looked at. The car has just gone through a service, and the oil level is at max. The car uses virtually no oil, as its checked on a regular basis, so this isnt the problem, it was suggested that it was a loose wire on the oil pressure alarm, but another garage stated that the wiring is fine! So im just putting it down to a quirk of the car!!

Oddball
20-11-2007, 07:15 PM
It may be that the oil pump itself has developed a problem.

Bennycattrall
22-11-2007, 01:51 PM
During the service did they replace the gearbox oil? If that is low, or has been in there for a long time this can sometimes create sticky gears.
After a while the oil looses it's lubricating ability so it should really be changed now and again.
With the oil light, definately sounds like an oil supply issue, check out the pump and double check the filter and sump, if they're blocked or in a bad way it would create the problem as well.

Hope that helps, Benny