PDA

View Full Version : mk3 GOlf MOT fail on emissions.. what to do?

jamesl
15-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi All,
Putting my mk3 (K reg, 1.8 petrol) through MOT. It's failed on couple of minor bits and emissions. Obviously they can't quote for cost of sorting out emissions because of various things it could be. Also cost for the minor things (front brake pipe and something to do with the light) was £140, which sounds slightly OTT to me.

Not sure what I should do - presumably emissions could be something expensive? This is with a garage with London where labour is in the £70/hour range, and I could possibly take it to a garage nearer home with cheaper labour to get it sorted.

Any advice? (I'm in SW London)

Cheers!

jl

Kev2904
20-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi All,
Putting my mk3 (K reg, 1.8 petrol) through MOT. It's failed on couple of minor bits and emissions. Obviously they can't quote for cost of sorting out emissions because of various things it could be. Also cost for the minor things (front brake pipe and something to do with the light) was £140, which sounds slightly OTT to me.

Not sure what I should do - presumably emissions could be something expensive? This is with a garage with London where labour is in the £70/hour range, and I could possibly take it to a garage nearer home with cheaper labour to get it sorted.

Any advice? (I'm in SW London)

Cheers!

jl

not sure mate did they not give you any indication of what was causeing the issue?

you could try redex or somethign like it i know there are ones for emission problems and get them to do a prtial retest once you have the other issue sorted.

and what about the light they shold have given you a breakdown of EXACTLY whats wonrg and needed to fix. I was given a vague description from a grage and one of the guys on here told me to go back and get them to explain everything I did and it saved me a lot of hassle.

Crasher
20-11-2007, 04:31 PM
The first step is to get a fault code read of the engine ECU to see what if any faults are stored. A common problem on the AAM and ABS engine is a split servo feed hose at the inlet manifold on the runner for number four cylinder. This allows air into the engine which isn't measured by the throttle body potentiometer and can this cause the catalyst to shut down. With the engine cold and not running, check the condition of this hose underneath and see if it is split.

Kev2904
20-11-2007, 04:33 PM
The first step is to get a fault code read of the engine ECU to see what if any faults are stored. A common problem on the AAM and ABS engine is a split servo feed hose at the inlet manifold on the runner for number four cylinder. This allows air into the engine which isn't measured by the throttle body potentiometer and can this cause the catalyst to shut down. With the engine cold and not running, check the condition of this hose underneath and see if it is split.

what he said lol:biglaugh:

you can spot the technically minded a mile away!:Blush2:

Ben
20-11-2007, 10:34 PM
what he said lol:biglaugh:

you can spot the technically minded a mile away!:Blush2:

yes, they either have their name in blue or are called A8:biglaugh:

Crasher
21-11-2007, 12:01 AM
That’s a good point, why is my name in a different colour? Does someone know my politics!!!