PDA

View Full Version : Help! Stereo turns itself on!

Siouxsievamp
15-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I picked my Golf up last friday so obviously was using it all weekend..
Drove to work on Monday and after parking, switched the stereo off, locked the car etc - The stereo turned itself back on after I had walked away! It did stay off after I went back out and turned it off again though.
It did exactly the same on Tuesday as well....
I have now discovered that it doesn't appear to do it if I leave a CD in it when I turn it off.
However it doesn't do it when I park outside my flat, CD in or not?
Has anyone else had this problem?
Its really strange how random it seems to be :(

Froggy
16-11-2007, 02:02 PM
How old is the car and which stereo is fitted?

Siouxsievamp
16-11-2007, 10:01 PM
It was registered September 2004, as far as I can tell its fitted with the standard stereo - not sure as a certain vehicle retailers are currently failing to supply me with any info for the car, manual and servce log wise

Froggy
19-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I would need to know which unit was fitted before proffering any pearls of wisdom, or just spouting gibberish (more likely). :p

If you can find out I'll try and help.

architect
11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
I had this problem with MK05 golf and also problems with cd getting stuck in player.
It is still under warrantee though and got the whole lot replaced
It may be poss to install software to solve problem though (or so I'm told) but this would be through a dealer.

rdann
19-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I had this problem with MK05 golf and also problems with cd getting stuck in player.
It is still under warrantee though and got the whole lot replaced
It may be poss to install software to solve problem though (or so I'm told) but this would be through a dealer.

Did you find away to get the stuck CD out, or did it end up staying in the faulty unit?

I have the same problem, but I think it is due to the unit taking a cd when there was still one in there, although can not be 100% sure this is the problem, so interested in what caused your problem?

architect
19-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes, I thought that I had already got a cd in there but was wrong.
From memory I think it came out after I had switched off ignition or maybe when car was parked with just ignition on - something like that.
Generally speaking the car has been in the garage for a number of electrical problems, which suggests that the circuits were the issue. It may have also been to do with the fact that I leave the headlamp sensor on when I park.

llorca
09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I've had a similar problem with my 2004 Mk 5 Golf (RCD 300 model). Even though I switch the radio off manually with the OFF button whenever I park and leave the car, it sometimes happens that when I use the car the next time, the radio is on and playing even before I've opened the car.

It happens randomly but has got worse in the last few months, culminating in a flat battery on Monday. I asked my VW dealer to have a look at it twice during services when it was under warranty but they couldn't solve the problem (and never offered to replace the radio).

Now the warranty has expired. I asked the VW dealer yesterday to look at the problem as it was getting more and more annoying. The Service Manager reckoned the only solution was a brand-new radio costing around EUR 1,000 (he didn't even get a mechanic to look at the problem).

Is there any way of disabling the radio so that it doesn't drain the battery when the problem occurs? Or any other workarounds? I'm pretty loath to replace the radio at a cost of EUR 1,000 if this problem could occur with the RCD 300 again... I've only driven 25,000 Km in 3 years and for a radio to malfunction after such a short time is not really up to the usual VW standards...

Thanks for any advice!

Froggy
09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Try leaving a CD in the unit. That can sometimes help with this problem.

llorca
09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,

There's been a CD in the unit for the last few months, but the problem still arises.

I read about an ECU software update (24k6) that might fix the problem - anyone know anymore about this? I'm guessing that the VW dealer didn't bother to check automatically for any VW updates when the vehicle was in for a service...

kaygolf
09-01-2008, 07:33 PM
This exact same thing happened to my radio - it was replaced under warranty. If the garage were aware of the fault before your warranty expired I would still expect them to replace it now, especially as it is a known fault. Assuming that you have been dealing with a main dealer they should be able to get the boat rolling by asking VW UK to replace the unit under goodwill warranty or at the very least get the software update installed (I think this came in after I had my unit replaced). If that fails, contact VW UK Customer Services yourself and take it from there.

kaygolf
09-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I've had a similar problem with my 2004 Mk 5 Golf (RCD 300 model). Even though I switch the radio off manually with the OFF button whenever I park and leave the car, it sometimes happens that when I use the car the next time, the radio is on and playing even before I've opened the car.

It happens randomly but has got worse in the last few months, culminating in a flat battery on Monday. I asked my VW dealer to have a look at it twice during services when it was under warranty but they couldn't solve the problem (and never offered to replace the radio).

Now the warranty has expired. I asked the VW dealer yesterday to look at the problem as it was getting more and more annoying. The Service Manager reckoned the only solution was a brand-new radio costing around EUR 1,000 (he didn't even get a mechanic to look at the problem).

Is there any way of disabling the radio so that it doesn't drain the battery when the problem occurs? Or any other workarounds? I'm pretty loath to replace the radio at a cost of EUR 1,000 if this problem could occur with the RCD 300 again... I've only driven 25,000 Km in 3 years and for a radio to malfunction after such a short time is not really up to the usual VW standards...

Thanks for any advice!

Exactly the same thing happened to my 2004 golf and I had a new radio unit installed under warranty in March 07. The radio had flattened the battery several times (we've since had to replace it, I suspect because of this), and while we waited 5 weeks!! for the garage to get a new radio the dealership disconnected the radio completely as it was making the car totally unreliable. Whether or not your car is still under warranty I would expect VW to replace or install the new software (I've also read about this since my radio was replaced - can only assume that it has come in since). I suppose the problem will be proving that you mentioned it prior to the warranty expiring. Even so, there's numerous mentions of this problem on this and similar forums so it's clearly a known fault. I would contact VW Customer Services, and also have a look at the SMMT website as they will take up your case I believe it they think this is something that VW should do. It's also free.
Good luck

architect
09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi
You have described the exact same problems that I had - there is no logic to it.
This is why I was pleased that my dealer just replaced the whole lot without question. I can't see what else you could do. They tried a software update (apparently). I am amazed to hear that your dealer did not. Surely with VW replacing mine there must be an acknowledgement that a problem exists - I would try again and possibly go above your dealer because mine, (in Cornwall), knew all about it. I guess I could have the same problem again, but it's ok at the moment

architect
09-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Ive noticed on the new stereo that the EJECT button is very sensitive - try pressing on the left of it (on E) rather that T

mrfixit
11-01-2009, 12:32 AM
I went out to MK Golf this week with a flat battery, started the vehicle with a powerpack and removed fuse F19 from under the bonnet. This has now switched off the problem radio. VW are quoting £558 to supply me with a new CD radio. Not a perfect solution removing the fuse but it does do the job while I look for a better solution.

mj62mj62
20-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi :)

My 2005 Golf is having the same problem. Many people in this forum have said their radio was replaced under warranty. This sounds common enough that the problem would happen again even with a new radio...

I know this thread is 8 months old -- Can anyone provide an update on their radio situation?

We're hoping to get our dealer to replace the radio, but if there is a bigger fix needed, we'd like to know now...

Thanks! :)

mrfixit
20-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Through contacts within the trade, I found out that VW can actually supply an exchange unit for approx. half the cost of a new one. They did not offer it, I had to request it.
There is some sought of software issue within the radio unit. The VW exchange one I fitted to my customers GOLF back in January has been fine with no issues. They are very happy with how much money I saved them.