PDA

View Full Version : B4 (1996) Passat central locking

BiggerEars
15-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Just replaced a (very!) flat battery and now the central locking won't work :zx11:. Is there an easy cure to 're-set' it or some-such?

BiggerEars
16-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Not only that but the trip computer is now zeroing itself at every start up (and the time and mileage are not visible when the car is switched off - they were before!).:zx11::zx11::zx11:

:1zhelp:

luceberg
17-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi, you could try cold booting it.

Disconnect the battery terminals and hold them together for 20 seconds or so, then reconnect.

Otherwise, try the TdiForum(google it) where you are likely to find well informed response.

BiggerEars
17-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for this. You won't believe it but I read your reply just having come in from picking up the car from the local garage. The guy there seems to have sorted it for me: central locking now working and, despite him claiming that he had no idea what was going on with the 'zeroing', even that seems to have stopped! Normal service has been resumed (fingers crossed).:biglaugh:

erico
18-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks for this. You won't believe it but I read your reply just having come in from picking up the car from the local garage. The guy there seems to have sorted it for me: central locking now working and, despite him claiming that he had no idea what was going on with the 'zeroing', even that seems to have stopped! Normal service has been resumed (fingers crossed).:biglaugh:

That is interesting. If you get the chance consider asking the technician what he found to be the solution for the problem your car had.

Whenever my 96 Passat TDI does something on the strange side electronically I grab my laptop and VAG-COM connector, plug it in and clear the error codes. I do that since everything that is connected to the information bus has a control module. That includes the central locking system and the instrument cluster. So far that has been like giving my ride a reset.

It is good to hear that your car is behaving itself.

BiggerEars
21-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Sorry for the delay: I've only just seen this.

I haven't been back to the garage but, from memory, he reckoned the central locking problem was just a fuse!!!! Makes some sort of sense as the interior lights also stopped working about the same time and that was a fuse. Not sure why battery problems make fuses more likely to blow but that's what I recall.

BE

erico
21-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Sorry for the delay: I've only just seen this.

I haven't been back to the garage but, from memory, he reckoned the central locking problem was just a fuse!!!! Makes some sort of sense as the interior lights also stopped working about the same time and that was a fuse. Not sure why battery problems make fuses more likely to blow but that's what I recall.

BE

Well a fuse is the first thing to check when anything electrical does not work. He did his job correctly.
:)