PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure warning light

claranet
15-11-2007, 01:25 AM
:approve:My new B6 Sport 170 went into the dealer today for it's free 1000 mile check.

One of my options was the Tyre pressure warning light.

It also had a problem with the Tyre pressure warning lamp that came on and stayed on ! This happened when I stalled it after trying to pull away in 3rd(!) as I was in the middle of a junction with a fast road and it was dark, I had to get the engine re-started and quickly ! The only way of re-starting the engine is to disengage the clunky key thing, re-insert said clunky key thing, this I achieved in double quick time as a Truck was fast approaching !!:(

The Dealer said the ECU was reset according to the plan so it should be OK now. It was time to go however does anyone know about this 'plan' ?

The dealer said that either VW or the supplying dealer had not set the 'plan' properly in the first place.

All is well now, however I'm curious to know about this 'plan' is all about.

Anyone ?:confused:
Regards
claranet

carl s
15-11-2007, 11:02 AM
From memory the tyre pressure monitor should be reset after adjusting the tyre pressure by pressing down and holding for a few seconds. This may be what they are refering to. It doesn't actually look at the air pressure in the tyres, all it doe sis monitor the wheel speed on each wheel in the dead ahead position, the theory being that a flat tyre has a different rolling circumference than an inflated one.

Quatrelle
15-11-2007, 05:20 PM
The only way of re-starting the engine is to disengage the clunky key thing, re-insert said clunky key thing, this I achieved in double quick time as a Truck was fast approaching !!:(
claranetAs an aside, and as someone else has also said on here somewhere, if you stall it is only necessary to push the clunky :D in as if you were stopping the engine, it will then pop out far enough to push back in again to restart (clutch out, of course). It is not necessary to pull it right out, although it is difficult to think straight when in panic mode.
John

claranet
19-11-2007, 11:58 PM
As an aside, and as someone else has also said on here somewhere, if you stall it is only necessary to push the clunky :D in as if you were stopping the engine, it will then pop out far enough to push back in again to restart (clutch out, of course). It is not necessary to pull it right out, although it is difficult to think straight when in panic mode.
John
Yes I gather from the Manual, that it uses the ABS/ESP data to monitor the wheel speeds; I was in a potentialy dangerous position so I was wondering if the system was confused if the wheels were not straight ahead and the engine was re-started very quickly before the system had chance to re-initialise itself ? There were no audible alarms raised as you'd expect, just the yellow warning light.

Anyway the dealer sorted it all out under warranty.

Many thanks.
Regards
Claranet

paulthefox
24-11-2007, 07:55 PM
new technology

what ever happened to checkthem when u get fuel:D

paul

Quatrelle
24-11-2007, 10:51 PM
new technology

what ever happened to checkthem when u get fuel:D

paulExactly - I would never rely on it (can't because I haven't got it:Blush2:)

claranet
15-12-2007, 02:19 AM
It happened again today and the dealer reset it again !

Now repeat after me " DO NOT STALL THE ENGINE" "IFYOU DO STALL IT, DON'T PANIC TAKE THE KEY OUT COMPLETELY LEAVE AT LEAST 2 SECONDS THEN STRAIGHTEN THE WHEELS BEFORE RE-STARTING"

Personally, if one pays nearly £26k for a car then the customer should be in a position to reset it him/her self

Thus endeth the lesson !

Merry Christmas everyone.
claranet

Quatrelle
15-12-2007, 11:47 AM
It happened again today and the dealer reset it again !

Now repeat after me " DO NOT STALL THE ENGINE" "IFYOU DO STALL IT, DON'T PANIC TAKE THE KEY OUT COMPLETELY LEAVE AT LEAST 2 SECONDS THEN STRAIGHTEN THE WHEELS BEFORE RE-STARTING"

Personally, if one pays nearly £26k for a car then the customer should be in a position to reset it him/her self

Thus endeth the lesson !

Merry Christmas everyone.
claranet claranet - The joys of options you can't turn off ;)

Presumably this can be reset with VAGCOM - do you know anyone near you? Might be worth asking on the 'Talk about cars' forum.

Merry Christmas to you too, and a peaceful New Year.
John

claranet
19-12-2007, 10:18 AM
claranet - The joys of options you can't turn off ;)

Presumably this can be reset with VAGCOM - do you know anyone near you? Might be worth asking on the 'Talk about cars' forum.

Merry Christmas to you too, and a peaceful New Year.
John
I assume the VAGCOM is the computer set up in VW dealers - luckily Spirit in Banbury are local and obviously the car is still under warranty. It only took about a minute to plug the car in and reset the Tyre Pressure warning lamp.

To be honest, I wish that I had ordered my car with the DSG. I ordered the manual as the MPG figures were not that good with the DSG compared with the manual and since mid October the cost of Diesel has gone up by about 7 ppl and is currently about £1.07ppl. I have altered my driving style to make sure that hopefully I won't stall it in future and if I do then not to panic and do it like you're supposed to on the driving test i.e Handbrake-Neutral-restart. Although the B6 has the Electric Handbrake(a pain if you need to work on the car I'd imagine !) the same principles should apply.

Tis the season to be careful !
claranet

james_tiger_woo
19-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I'll chuck in my pointless 2 penneth worth....

You can't, apparently, use Passats (or any car with a button style handbrake) for a driving test.

(And for today's pointless comment.....)

Quatrelle
19-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Claranet - My reason for posting about VAGCOM was that there are quite a few people on these forums who have it (you need to buy the program and have a laptop), hence my asking if there was anyone with it near you.

However, now you've got it sorted it's no longer relevant :)