View Full Version : front end clunk

08-09-2006, 06:31 AM
hi all, i'm new to these cars and need help. i'm a diesel truck guy, but my lady friend has an 03 bora jetta. the problem is there is a clunk in the front end. sometimes you can hear it when you are driving down the road and hit a bump, and other times when the wheel is turned pulling into her drive way it does it. i've been under it a few times but i don't see anything visibly loose or worn out. the cvs look fine...

she had some problems with here clutch slipping and she went through four clutches, all under warranty. it wasn't because of her driving habits either, she is really mellow and doesn't rest her foot on the pedal ever. could this be something clutch related? i'm completely stumped! thanks for any help anyone can offer....:1zhelp:

13-09-2006, 10:43 PM
I have the same clunk on my 1996 VW Golf - There were additional notes on the latest MOT stating there is slight play in the lower suspension ball joint.

14-09-2006, 03:18 AM
thanks for the info. what is an MOT? i'll check the ball joint and see if that's not the problem..... thanks again!

14-09-2006, 08:43 AM
The MOT is an English test that has to be carried out once a year to verify the car is road worthy. Happy to help!

19-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi there Front anti roll bar bushes are prone to wear on mk4 based vehicles, occasionally the anti roll bar itself requires renewal as the metal becomes worn wear the bushes sit. Quite a big job to renew them. hope this helps.

19-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Try the mounting bracket for the centre exhaust ilencer as these sometimes break. Cheers

20-09-2006, 02:05 AM
sweet, thanks for the tips. i'll check that this weekend. i'm swamped with work so i haven't gotten to anything yet!

steve baker
11-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I too have experienced a heavy rattle at the front on both a 2000 Bora and a 2003 GTI, once the mileage was in excess of 60,000. Replacement of roll bar bushes cured the fault in my case. ;)

11-10-2006, 05:47 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what are the roll bar bushes?

25-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I believe the "roll bar" is called a "sway bar" in your part of the world. The clunk can be subtle and the wear difficult to detect. There is a link from both front wheels to the bar (about thumb thickness) and the bushes that mount it to the chassis can be seen with the steering on full lock. Get someone to bounce up and down and look for the slightest bit of movement. Unless you are a good spanner man get someone else to fit them as access is limited and you have to compress the bush in place before you can get the bolt back in the clamp!