PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant fault

Cyborg2
03-11-2020, 03:38 PM
Oh dear here we go!!
My Golf has an intermittent fault on the front assist/lane assist software, upon start up its disabled, then becomes enabled and so on, the constant DING is really annoying.....its does eventually clear.
So I thought Id contact VW, they’re not aware of any fault like this says customer services who are not mechanically or electronically trained....contact your dealer, who's techs are new to the Mk8 and will only go back to VW as I attempted to ask in the first place.
I do like the car but not when it DINGSat me all the time.
Ill let you know the outcome.
Since posting I have viewed other forums who's cars are on the same platform, this type of fault has been around since 2015 with no fix, there's even a law suit going on in regards to the vehicle suddenly braking!
Recent thinking is remove the outer badge, clean behind it and re-attach, Im going for the re-calibration option, but heres COVID-19 and dealers will shut for a month :-(

Crasher
03-11-2020, 06:10 PM
I think I may refuse to work on the Golf 8 when they come into the aftermarket...

aljocol1.1
09-11-2020, 12:04 PM
I’m getting a similar message with a travel assist error constantly appearing and disappearing with the beep alongside it. It’s really annoying going on and off with no idea how to resolve it. Only had the car a week.

Now raised with the dealer as driving gets annoying with the beep and just hoping it doesn’t do anything else unexpected.

Handydave
09-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Yes - we have that too. With us, it’s Emergency Assist and Travel Assist. It dings at least once every journey and sometimes more frequently.
As you say, very distracting.

it might be my imagination but it seems to happen more when it’s raining, and also when we put it into reverse.

I’ve reported it to the dealer at the same time as it was in for the eSIM losing connectivity, and I’m hoping the promised software update for the aerial control module might help. (See post 9 on this thread Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196439-Golf-Mk8-eSIM-Losing-Connection-to-VW-Servers) ).

GLX
09-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Same for me, and yes it also seems worse in bad weather

Cyborg2
09-11-2020, 07:58 PM
Quick update.....there isnt one :-(
Its a known issue that excessive rain the front array causes confusion with the onboard systems, indeed if water gets behind the VW badge ( as its only cliped on) this can and will affect its functionality.
Ive had issues with snow on the front radar with my Tiguan and T-Roc, they used to "bing" too!
Ive been in touch with VW UK, they are not aware of any such issue....funny that.

I think the frustrating bit is the self denyal car makers insist on giving out, I like the car and wont be moving it on, its got a quirk thats a bit anoying thats all, VW just need to be that little more honest and step up to the plate.
Oh and Im not going to knock the dealer, they cant fix if theres no fix to fix with...if you see what I mean lol

Handydave
09-11-2020, 09:10 PM
Its a known issue that excessive rain the front array causes confusion with the onboard systems, indeed if water gets behind the VW badge ( as its only cliped on) this can and will affect its functionality. Ive had issues with snow on the front radar with my Tiguan

Funny thing is, in our case it’s the Emergency Assist and Travel Assist that are temporarily unavailable. And when this happens, the adaptive cruise control works fine.

So I’m not sure it’s the front badge which, as far as I know houses the radar controlling the ACC. Emergency Assist would use the aerial and Travel Assist (ie the lane keeping function) presumably uses the camera in the windscreen.

Anyway, if you experience these sort of issues, please report them to the dealer, and keep pressing. The more we do so, the more likely it is to go up the line.

Crasher
10-11-2020, 10:07 AM
Its a known issue that excessive rain the front array causes confusion with the onboard systems

and the powers that be want these systems to drive the cars for us, smart motorway syndrome again...

johnsimcox
10-11-2020, 11:35 AM
and the powers that be want these systems to drive the cars for us, smart motorway syndrome again...
I agree. There is a long way to go before cars can even deliver Level 3 Autonomy, let alone Level 4 or 5

Cyborg2
10-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Im employed by an independant dealership covering all markes, reporting to the dealer does not encourage the car makers to do anything constructive or admit anythings actually wrong.
Whats needed is an ombudsman service which deals with the motor industry itself, what we currently have deals with disputes between the consumer and the dealer under the guise of New Car Code of Practice
I cant hold the dealer responsible in full when its a manufacturers issue, the ADR ( Alternative Dispute Resolution) is the only remaining option after jumping through many hoops and fences should anyone feel they have nothing better to do

Crasher
12-11-2020, 12:02 AM
I agree. There is a long way to go before cars can even deliver Level 3 Autonomy, let alone Level 4 or 5

The promise is zero accidents and deaths/serious injuries and this will nearly be delivered in Western Europe BUT the problem will be people being killed/seriously injured by a computer rather than a person. Hundreds of deaths/seriously injured per annum are accepted by us all as part and parcel of life on the road. To promise zero and not deliver will cause outrage and the Daily Mail would have a field day... in a kind of perverse way we accept that people kill people whether by accident or intent, that a malfunctioning computer confused by too much rain kills one person instead of 10,000 people being killed by a person is unacceptable; according to https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts (https://www.asirt.org/safe-travel/road-safety-facts/) 3700 people die EVERY DAY in road accidents world wide... try making that zero.

Cyborg2
13-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

Done some more digging into this issue, transpires that its an inherrant issue dating back to 2015, the issues I and others are experiencing are not going to go away, but due to pressures in the EU and USA I am sure VW are going to focus a litle more on the implications.
1/ You dont want the car to suddenly stop
2/ You dont want the ACC turning on an off at will
3/ You dont want the front asssit to throw a wobbly each time it rains and turn itself off
4/ You dont want the emergency SOS assist to turn off.

I reckon its down to the software they use, I hope they sort it, they have had 5 years!

GLX
14-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Funny thing is I had the most recent SEAT Ibiza before this and the front assist and ACC were far more reliable, the only times they complained were in extreme rain or snow.

johnsimcox
14-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Funny thing is I had the most recent SEAT Ibiza before this and the front assist and ACC were far more reliable, the only times they complained were in extreme rain or snow.
the Ibiza is based on the Polo platform and uses a differnet system to the Golf (more like the one used in the Golf Mk7)

Cyborg2
26-11-2020, 02:00 PM
UPDATE

Round one completed, been into the dealership and there's no actual fault recorded on the OBD. However the tech did confirm the "dings".
So round two, email sent to VW UK, why the dings and why the peramenters do not run in the background on initial start up?
I've delivered over 50 of these cars and only come across one other like mine that dings away, so lets see if my email gets past the front desk, I am not holding my breath lol

Handydave
26-11-2020, 04:52 PM
I too have a ‘dinging’ Mk8. But with ours it’s Emergency Assist not available followed by Travel Assist not available.

I would say that around 1/3 of the time it works normally, 1/3 of the time it dings once and both systems remain off (with appropriate orange lights on the instrument display), and then the really annoying 1/3 is when these systems cycle on and off producing a pair of dings every time they do so (sometimes you might get 6 or 7 pairs of dings a minute).

In my case, dealer has consulted VW who say we must await a software update which is being developed for the aerial control module.

There are a number of strange symptoms:
- dings are more frequent in wet weather
- turning a corner (at a junction or roundabout) often sets off a ‘ding’ (but it happens on the straight as well)
- when travel assist is unavailable then adaptive cruise control and passive lane keeping assist work normally.

This is on a 1.5 DSG eTSI Style.

Interesting that @Cyborg2 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=265854) is experiencing repeated dings on front assist / lane assist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cyborg2
27-11-2020, 09:11 PM
Well as I expected VW just quoted me a passage form the handbook expalining how the car dings, its a feature you know, it lets you know things, I know that I am not a cabbage.
I am less pleased with the dealership service team, the aerial control module has a known software hiccup, so why not say so and add.... "a fix is on the way". :aargh4:

Cyborg2
01-12-2020, 02:29 PM
May I ask which dealership gave you the info on the Aerial control module please?

Cyborg2
02-12-2020, 03:14 PM
Dealership been in touch after I had a moan, they are looking into a deep hole!
Vw still dont want to know.
Ombudsman says they will review but may take 6 months!
All I can do is wear ear plugs

Crasher
03-12-2020, 09:46 AM
Were any of you pre-warned by the dealer about the Golf 8 software issues before you bought them?

johnsimcox
03-12-2020, 10:36 AM
Were any of you pre-warned by the dealer about the Golf 8 software issues before you bought them?
Not specifically, however I already knew that Mk8 production had been paused because of issues with the eSIM connection to emergency services and asked specifically if the fix had been applied to the car I was buying (it was one of the early production run and already in the UK in JUne when I purchased it) and was assured it had. I was not aware of or told about any other software issues with the car, however my other car is an Audi A6 C8 and this also has issues with the camera based assist systems so I should not say I am overly surprised that they are alos present on the Golf. I am fairly certain the issue with the car connecting to the VW server is a software issue at the server end and not down to the software in the car. I plan to test this next time i have an opportunity by hotspotting the car off my phjhone rather thna use the eSIM to see it makes a difference

Crasher
03-12-2020, 11:26 AM
VW AG were very open about a whole raft of software issues because they had no option but to make the cars and ship them knowing the software was faulty, the dealers were all made aware of this and told to notify customers... I would never have expected a car salesperson to not be open with a potential customer... would you:biglaugh:

johnsimcox
03-12-2020, 11:59 AM
VW AG were very open about a whole raft of software issues because they had no option but to make the cars and ship them knowing the software was faulty, the dealers were all made aware of this and told to notify customers... I would never have expected a car salesperson to not be open with a potential customer... would you:biglaugh:
Interesting as well that the sales person was driving a 1.5TFSe as her car so would presumably have been aware of any issues first hand. She did say she hated Lane Assist and turned it off everytime she got in the car, but a lot of people who drive brands other than VW hate lane assist. But as you say, what slaes person would try to sell a car and then say "by the way the software is rubbish"

Cyborg2
03-12-2020, 09:26 PM
Realistically is false representation, knowingingly selling a product with a known flaw, but here's the catch, when running a diagnostic there's no hard fault recorded!
Its always a tricky one where software is the cause, we all know about updates, this littel gem covers the responsibility angle, "How did we know it would park on a cliff edge".

The one and only thing in my wish list is ownership of issues we consumers highlight, car makers are good at passing the buck maters not which brand.

I still think the Golf (and Audi A3) is a good buy mechanialy, Toyota seem to have both the software up to spec.

Crasher
04-12-2020, 09:55 AM
I feel that the digital content of the Golf 8 and its contemporaries is a step too far, it is going to mean a car will get scrapped because it has electronic problems when mechanically and bodily it is still in fine shape which is environmentally irresponsible. We had to scrap our lovely condition A4 estate loan car because we could not buy a side air bag crash sensor and the only reason that failed was the stupid plenum chamber design...

Cyborg2
04-12-2020, 09:24 PM
Totally agree with your comments. If we only had an off button that stayed in the off position (for the gismo's) driving would be a pleasure.

Cyborg2
18-12-2020, 08:22 PM
Facebook Group VW Mk8 having cars recalled for software update in 2021, mine booked in 2nd week in January, VW UK still say nothing wrong with car. Lets see if its software related and this update cures the DINGS

michaelm713
18-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Facebook Group VW Mk8 having cars recalled for software update in 2021, mine booked in 2nd week in January, VW UK still say nothing wrong with car. Lets see if its software related and this update cures the DINGS
Is this for cars in the 2021 build as well, I.e delivered in the second half of the year? Mine was delivered in November so certainly a 21 model.

Thanks

Cyborg2
19-12-2020, 02:59 PM
I had mine in late October, but maufactured in 2020, without power folding mirrors its not a 2021 spec.
Dont forget all the earlier Mk8's that have been stored in the UK for months.
You can see when it was built by using this free search tool for UK spec as my 9th character in the VIN is a Z that demotes 2020
VIN Decoder & Lookup | Vindecoderz (http://www.vindecoderz.com/)

michaelm713
20-12-2020, 02:31 AM
I had mine in late October, but maufactured in 2020, without power folding mirrors its not a 2021 spec.
Dont forget all the earlier Mk8's that have been stored in the UK for months.
You can see when it was built by using this free search tool for UK spec as my 9th character in the VIN is a Z that demotes 2020
VIN Decoder & Lookup | Vindecoderz (http://www.vindecoderz.com/)

Hi, mine is certainly a 2021 as it has the folding mirrors and the light strip at the front. The site you linked to tells me my car is a 1991 model!!![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyborg2
20-12-2020, 11:32 AM
As my VIN starts with WVWZZZCDZL the Z being the year based on the table for the site I mentioned, I just added my full chasis number and hey presto it told me what I wanted to know.

Assuming yours in UK spec your VIN should start the same as mine (WVW), looking on the site VIN searches are recorded, I dont see another WVW pertaining to your model recently.

There are many sites out there that can identify via the VIN, its always the 9th letter, however this lettering or numbering is carried over a 20yr cycle , yours is probably registered as a 70 plate so the year of manufacture is 2020, however the spec changed mid year to include those little extras we all feel should be standard, but the technical glitches remain as the software update has only just been released to the wider market in the hope its a cure all, its the glitches the string relates to.

GLX
20-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Any more info about this software recall, will VW be in touch or do I need to pursue through dealer?

Latest with mine is that the ‘Hazard Warning Restricted’ dings have subsided, only to be replaced with regular warnings that Travel Assist is not available. Really annoying, thankfully I’m not a particularly nervous person otherwise I’d be a wreck driving it.

Crasher
20-12-2020, 06:40 PM
Z is an infill digit. It is the 9th digit from the end, 2020 is L e.g. WVWZZZCDZMW055266 is a random Golf 8 type CD1 9UZ 2021 model (the M) built in Wolfsburg (the W) on the 9/11/2020

Cyborg2
21-12-2020, 10:14 PM
Looking on other platforms it seems there is a recall of sorts, but VW decline to admit anything actually wrong, mines going in next year for 3 days!!
I know the software update takes 2-3 hrs, but I have also noted other owners having the steering wheel changed due to a faulty sensor when turning.

GLX
22-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Gave my local dealer a call. Described the constant dings (currently Travel Assist is not available) and he told me he’s having similar issues on his company car.

Advised to call back 2nd week of Jan when they are expecting software updates for the Golf and ID3, including updates to the media console and camera. Will be a day or so to install them all.

iMZee
24-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Snowed today in newcastle. Got in the car and turned it on, the first thing I see on the dash are: Parking brake error, auto hold fail, front assist unavailable. Shat my self as I live on a hill, car without a parking brake would be dangerous! However, all errors seemed to be fake and everything was alright. Not sure why they have set the thresholds for error quite low? These errors can easily be hidden from the user with no harm done.

Handydave
07-01-2021, 03:55 PM
Ok - at last we've got to the bottom of the constant notifications (and associated dinging) that emergency assist and travel assist are not available on our Golf Mk8 eTSI Style. See post #16 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=16) above for the symptoms.

The dealer tried two large software updates (both taking around 6 hours) which did not solve the problem.

They've now confirmed it's a problem with the capacitive sensor on the steering wheel. This makes sense, since Emergency Assist relies on the steering wheel capacitive sensor to detect that the driver is still alert, Travel Assist does the same to ensure the car is not being driven hands-free, plus the fact that the notifications were often triggered by a movement of the steering wheel at roundabouts etc.

VW HQ seemingly are aware of it as they’ve given the dealer the part number for a revised steering wheel and associated loom that has to be fitted. That’s on back order and may take a while to arrive.

So, it's a hardware problem and not software.

Full marks to my dealer for persisting!

Cyborg2
11-01-2021, 08:43 PM
My dealer has just confirmed the same diagnosis, now that the big software update has been installed, they have ordred new parts.
Here's the stinker, VW isnt making spare parts that we need at the mo, so dealers are finding donor cars to rob bits from, all those Mk8's in airfields lol.
My dealer is a total let down, I told them what the problem was, I even told them what other dealers were doing, they told me to sit and wait untill the parts arrive!!
I dont think so Grrrr

Cyborg2
29-01-2021, 07:47 PM
Cars been in, new steering wheel and loom ( a six pin connection this time). Software updated. Car seems to be fine now. VW UK will not admit any issue, all just a voluntary recall. this will be my last Vw purchase.

Crasher
29-01-2021, 07:52 PM
Don’t be too hard on VW, it is EU regulations that are partly to blame with the huge demands placed on car manufacturers and all brands are suffering, that is why there is so much consolidation such as the new Stellantis group founded only a week ago.

bfr
19-02-2021, 12:15 AM
I've had the 'Travel Assist currently unavailable' issue start on mine recently. Seemed to get noticeably worse during the cold snap but has continued to deteriorate since the weather has warmed up. Generally it was at least settling down a minute or two after starts but has got really bad recently (was going off every couple of seconds the other day whilst behind a lorry). When I return home I generally do a 3 point turn just up the road before driving back to park and it always seems to start pinging away during that manoeuvre too.

Car booked in for Thursday next week, I just hope they don't muck around too much resolving it. The relationship with my dealership isn't exactly on the best of terms anyway (delivery of the current car was an epic catalogue of ****-ups and I still have an ombudsman complaint against them pending from when I bought it).

Has just the software updates fixed this for many people or has having to swap out the steering wheel been a common thing?

GMNI2021
19-02-2021, 01:32 AM
I had a software update and it fixed mine (prob shafted myself posting this! Let the pings begin!!!!!)

bfr
23-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't be so bad if there was some pattern to it. Took a trip Monday to pick up shopping, went off 25 times in the space of a short 5 minute trip of no more than a couple of miles. Went off only twice on the return trip and a further quick trip to drop off stuff at the mother-in-laws a few miles away. Then done about 20 mile round trip this afternoon and its back to pinging away like mad.

Handydave
23-02-2021, 05:20 PM
@bfr (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=267726) Those were the symptoms on ours. Travel Assist / Emergency Assist unavailable and frequent dinging. Often happened at a junction or roundabout and worse in damp weather. Became unbearable.

Went to the dealer and first they upgraded the software to 1668, then tested and found it had not cured the problem. So they replaced the steering wheel and loom. Cured it completely.

bfr
24-02-2021, 08:36 PM
@bfr (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=267726) Those were the symptoms on ours. Travel Assist / Emergency Assist unavailable and frequent dinging. Often happened at a junction or roundabout and worse in damp weather. Became unbearable.

Went to the dealer and first they upgraded the software to 1668, then tested and found it had not cured the problem. So they replaced the steering wheel and loom. Cured it completely.

Cheers. I think mines pretty much always been just the Travel Assist message. Anyway, it's been dropped off at the dealers now so will hopefully know more tomorrow. Software is currently on 1664 so clearly that's one thing that'll be done.

Handydave
25-02-2021, 12:17 AM
Looks hopeful. Let us know how you get on.

bfr
25-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Looks hopeful. Let us know how you get on.

Will do. They rang me first thing to say they have to budget for the recall related update taking at least 8 hours to apply and verify so I won't be getting my car back until Friday now.

bfr
26-02-2021, 08:29 PM
Got the car back now. Handover was basically being given the keys back through a window and no paperwork was left in the car so not sure if anything else was done besides the software update (now shows 1688 installed, all other version numbers in the system info list unchanged). So far so good with zero unwanted dings on the drive home.

iMZee
28-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Never used to be so often, however, I keep on getting travel assist unavailable. Super annoying as it still works! Get at least a beep every min!

bfr
02-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Never used to be so often, however, I keep on getting travel assist unavailable. Super annoying as it still works! Get at least a beep every min!

Sounds exactly like what happened to me. It was the occasional exception (usually just after starting or under mitigating circumstances like it absolutely pelting it down) and then it suddenly started spamming me with notifications every other journey. I'd try and get it booked in if I was you as it definitely doesn't go away on its own!

Tricky tree
03-03-2021, 06:06 PM
Had software update and new steering wheel fitted 3 weeks ago. Same error messages still intermittently happening, parking sensors unavailable at times and weirdly, since the software update, the stop/start system fails to operate. As far as I know, I've had all the available fixes and none work. A depressing situation. Mine's a GTi, November 2020.

bfr
28-03-2021, 03:10 PM
A few weeks on since the update now and the Travel Assist warning issues are largely gone (very occasionally chirps up but only the once per trip usually). A new one though seems to be the radio being effectively muted just after starts even though that was definitely what I left the infotainment unit playing before I stopped. Playing with the volume doesn't sort it but usually cycling the power on the infotainment unit will, but its another annoyance. Will keep an eye on it.

EDIT: new one this morning with the climate control basically going screwy (Temp shows as '---' in all zones, changing other options didn't seem to do anything and the aircon/circulation fans were stuck either off or on v low). Ignition cycle didn't clear it, forcing the infotainment system to reboot (pressing power button for 10s) finally did.

bfr
03-06-2021, 11:19 AM
Question for those who had the steering wheel changed, how long did this take to carry out? Mine's going back Monday night for them to work on during Tuesday (99% they only did the 1668 update last time, which cured the dings for a while but it went off 84 times in about 18 miles of driving Tue/Wed this week) and I really could do with the car not staying in longer than a day.

Handydave
03-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Provided they have the replacement steering wheel and associated loom in stock, it should be possible to change it in a day.

bfr
03-06-2021, 07:49 PM
Provided they have the replacement steering wheel and associated loom in stock, it should be possible to change it in a day.

I can only hope then ;)

aldfort
07-06-2021, 03:41 PM
The latest handbook advises turning the system off in poor weather!

koolmacher
07-06-2021, 09:07 PM
My 6 month old car so far has the following problems:
1.Travel assist unavailable usually when turning the steering wheel
2.Acc is deactivated even though its activated in the menu
3.Start stop deactivated again its activated in the menu
4.Rumbling droning noise coming from rear wheels sounds like a wheel bearing failing but its only done 6500 miles
5.Emergency assist started to activate its self for a nervous 10 seconds while on a drive on Saturday before cancelling itself (thankfully)
6.Steering wheel off centre when on a straight road if I straighten it car veers off to the left but it doesn't pull to the left
Booked in to my local VW dealers on the 14th next week was initially for travel assist fault and software upgrade from 1664 but they'll be getting a large job list at this rate this is my first VW car and I'm shocked at the number of faults so far...

Cheezy113
07-06-2021, 11:23 PM
After three months mine is going into the dealers for a list of problems as long as my arm.

And I'd actually say my car has less problems than most i hear people talk about too...

Diabolical.

PiperSniper93
08-06-2021, 11:32 AM
4.Rumbling droning noise coming from rear wheels sounds like a wheel bearing failing but its only done 6500 miles
6.Steering wheel off centre when on a straight road if I straighten it car veers off to the left but it doesn't pull to the left

My Golf has a growing list of problems and I’ve noticed both of these too. Point 4 was a surprise as I’ve only done 2000 miles so far! So interesting to hear someone else with the same issue. Specifically regarding point 6; I took the car to a place that does alignment and they told me that the rear axle alignment had slipped and that I should get VW to sort it rather than paying out to fix it as it shouldn’t have slipped to that degree so quickly, so far VW haven’t sorted it despite it being with them for about a week regarding this and other issues that are well documented on this and other forums. Hopefully fixes to all of these issues are available soon because driving the car is just too annoying so we end up using my wife’s car most of the time…

bfr
08-06-2021, 05:55 PM
The latest handbook advises turning the system off in poor weather!

I didn't think there actually was any way of switching Travel Assist off? I'd be thrilled if I could shut the thing up when it goes into full spam mode.

Anyway, just got mine back after another masterclass in rubbish customer service. I had been keeping a beady eye on the car's whereabouts and it looked liked they'd finished poking and prodding it by mid-morning. No communication from them and chased them just before 4, no one from servicing available so left a message. At about 4:15 they finally called me. And (surprise, surprise) I need the wheel fix doing. Also surprise surprise, the parts are on about a 2 week back order (and the "we'll let you know" bit suggests they're not exactly confident it'll hit that mark). Beats me why they couldn't have been a bit proactive about the parts given i'd clearly explained to them that this was an ongoing issue and it seems there's quite a clear path of what needs trying next if the last thing didn't work. I've got about 1000 miles to do in the next couple of weeks so would've liked this sorted, I just hope it stays quiet for a bit (after spamming me like mad it suddenly started to behave from the middle of last week).
Then to top it off, "oh and can you come and pick your car up in the next hour" (i'm about 2 miles of walking and a 10 minute train ride away) so cheers for the great communications and notice when the car has been sat around since lunchtime :zx11:

About the only win from any of this is that they didn't charge for topping up my oil.

koolmacher
08-06-2021, 06:37 PM
Week since my cruise control packed in I've stopped getting the the travel assist error so every cloud.....

bfr
29-06-2021, 06:24 PM
Third time in the workshop today & steering wheel replaced. Here's hoping that cures it.

They seem remarkably determined for me to never do business with them again when the dealership decided to announce via text 3 hours after drop-off that the site would be closing early and that I should collect the car before 4pm and not the usual 5pm-5:15 cutoff that i'd made arrangements to get there for. Not a dickybird mentioned about it at drop-off this morning and they admitted it was a decision made in the middle of the working day. Never mind customers' work time and arrangements being screwed up when you've got to get home early for the football eh? Absolute amateurs.

Crasher
29-06-2021, 07:42 PM
This football thing disrupts business every time, I hate it when England are in anything approaching a final, everyone seems to go brain dead and incapable of work, after I opened up at 7.50 am this morning, the others descended about an hour later and all they could discuss is if I would let them go home early to watch the bloody footie. Stupid game for stupid people…

bfr
29-06-2021, 08:17 PM
This football thing disrupts business every time, I hate it when England are in anything approaching a final, everyone seems to go brain dead and incapable of work, after I opened up at 7.50 am this morning, the others descended about an hour later and all they could discuss is if I would let them go home early to watch the bloody footie. Stupid game for stupid people…

No issue with them doing it as a gesture to their staff. Springing it on your customers half way through the day though is ridiculous. Then again, these are the same cretins that initially delivered me the wrong car so I shouldn't be too shocked.

johnsimcox
30-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Car had its first service yesterday. There were 2 software related "recalls" performed, which apparently should address all the issues I mentioned, we shall see!. The infotainment software was updated from 1650 to 1668. Fortunately the work was all done in one day, although the garage had allocated a loan car to me for 2 in case it took longer and they were open past the start time of the England game

koolmacher
08-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Got my car back yesterday the 7th of July after dropping it off on the 14th of June for Travel Assist faults and numerous others. They have replaced a "control module" but no information as to what it does, my dealer has been very good with giving me updates however the loan Golf VW UK provided via Eurocar has magically developed a scratch on the front bumper since I dropped it off at the dealers yesterday and I'm awaiting an inspection report with repair costs, it was ok the previous day when I hand washed it.... As for my Golf its early days but its still on software 1664 so no update.

Crasher
08-07-2021, 01:04 PM
People sometimes complain that our loan cars are a bit scruffy (although top notch mechanically) and my answer is unless it is a big knock, who gives a toss?

koolmacher
10-07-2021, 03:48 PM
Well after driving the car for a bit the travel assist unavailable fault is still there, 12v battery voltage warnings even though the engine turns over no problem, a couple of times when starting the car had the SOS activating fault before it resets and the infotainment screen takes ages to start up now and when it does instead of the privacy settings icon along with the globe for connection all I get is the car 2 car symbol. Also since coming back from the dealers the engine send to want to idle at 1300rpm must of the time now as well, so I'll be contacting them on Monday so they can have another go at fixing it. Europcar have yet to come back to me with any evidence of the alleged damaged front bumper. I'm sure it will be worth it once Volkswagen figure out how to make it work properly.....

carolinemason
22-07-2021, 02:54 PM
My 70 plate golf had the update last week. Also went in with a very noisy gear change when lift clutch up. A noise from under car when you turning on a camber ( sounds like something catching on something and also a strange noise when accelerator down, like the exhaust or something.

dealer says gear/ clutch normal and they all do it. The noise under car is road noise. (Really!!!!) And now after update my travel assist bings. Like Earlier posts, doesn’t seem any rhyme or reason, sometimes 50 times. Sometimes once. Also had manoeuvre break unavailable. Parking sensors unavailable. Window wipers come on. Seems like the update broke my car. Going in again on Monday - again.

Anybody have the Same gear / clutch nois change issue? I have had older cars sound more healthy. feel like I’m being fobbed off coz I’m a girl!

johnsimcox
22-07-2021, 03:12 PM
My 70 plate golf had the update last week. Also went in with a very noisy gear change when lift clutch up. A noise from under car when you turning on a camber ( sounds like something catching on something and also a strange noise when accelerator down, like the exhaust or something.

dealer says gear/ clutch normal and they all do it. The noise under car is road noise. (Really!!!!) And now after update my travel assist bings. Like Earlier posts, doesn’t seem any rhyme or reason, sometimes 50 times. Sometimes once. Also had manoeuvre break unavailable. Parking sensors unavailable. Window wipers come on. Seems like the update broke my car. Going in again on Monday - again.

Anybody have the Same gear / clutch nois change issue? I have had older cars sound more healthy. feel like I’m being fobbed off coz I’m a girl!
You don't say which engine/gearbox combination you have, but on our 130 1.5 TFSi Life we do not have ant moise issues from either the clutch or from under the car. If they say it is "normal" then ask then to let you take their senior technician out in your car and deosntrate the issues and then go out in another car and get them to show you they both have the same issue.

Road noise could be down to tracking. If one of the wheels is off it could be dragging along the road so may be worth having that looked at, preferaly at somewhere where they have a hunter 4 wheel system available

As for the software it seems we are all guinea pigs as VW try to sort out the bugs

carolinemason
26-07-2021, 09:24 AM
Sorry, TSI Style 1.5 150.

Just dropped car off this morning...we will see what happens... I spoke to the technician to explain all the details of the faults. I requested that the same guy works on my car as he had seen the fault a few weeks ago, they even rang me last week to change the day of the appointment as he wasn't working that day. Just been told he won't be working on it!

You don't say which engine/gearbox combination you have, but on our 130 1.5 TFSi Life we do not have ant moise issues from either the clutch or from under the car. If they say it is "normal" then ask then to let you take their senior technician out in your car and deosntrate the issues and then go out in another car and get them to show you they both have the same issue.

Road noise could be down to tracking. If one of the wheels is off it could be dragging along the road so may be worth having that looked at, preferaly at somewhere where they have a hunter 4 wheel system available

As for the software it seems we are all guinea pigs as VW try to sort out the bugs

koolmacher
26-07-2021, 09:53 AM
I'll be booking mine back in today as the travel assist faults is still present mainly when turning the steering wheel constant 12v battery consumption to high warnings when the only thing running is the engine and radio is also putting car into fast idle at 1200rpm when this warning is present. Took it for a 600 mile round trip at the weekend at mainly motorway speeds and the 12v warning is still present, on the same journey the infotainment screen crashed and rebooted 3 times and took about 5 mins to do it on each occasion the climate control stored working for around 25 mins it would only produce warm air on the lowest setting during this period the only control that worked was switching it on or off couldn't adjust blower speed or direction to the vents. Also the cruise control on 4 seperate occasions applied the brakes as I was trying to overtake because it thought I was undertaking. So I'll be asking for the software to be updated from 1664 to 1668 and the steering wheel and wiring harness to be replaced asking with the 12v battery to be checked. Just hope it doesn't take newly a month for them to do it like the last time I left it with them

carolinemason
26-07-2021, 10:06 AM
Keep me posted.
The list I took -
Travel Assist ping approx 30 times a journey. No pattern but does do it more when turning steering wheel.
Manoeuvre breaking error
Parking distance error
Infotainment system reboots

All since the 1668 update!

carolinemason
26-07-2021, 02:56 PM
Just had a call from the dealers who have just told me I need a new steering wheel. My 10 month old car has had to have a new headlight as it wouldn't turn off at all...ever and now a new steering wheel. It's on back order and they don't know when they will get one. Am due to go on holiday shortly - they said car safe to drive...my response...so i have to put up with 50 pings every hour? they said yes. Should I insist on a loan car??

Keep me posted.
The list I took -
Travel Assist ping approx 30 times a journey. No pattern but does do it more when turning steering wheel.
Manoeuvre breaking error
Parking distance error
Infotainment system reboots

All since the 1668 update!

carolinemason
26-07-2021, 03:05 PM
How long was you waiting for the steering wheel and loom to be in stock?

Handydave
26-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Just had a call from the dealers who have just told me I need a new steering wheel. My 10 month old car has had to have a new headlight as it wouldn't turn off at all...ever and now a new steering wheel. It's on back order and they don't know when they will get one. Am due to go on holiday shortly - they said car safe to drive...my response...so i have to put up with 50 pings every hour? they said yes. Should I insist on a loan car??

When our car was playing up like this I emailed our (very helpful) salesperson and (politely) said that I’d given VW every opportunity to fix the problem and I that I’d “like to discuss my options”. Within an hour the service manager of the dealership was on the phone to say that he had sourced an almost identical loan car and would I mind calling to collect it or would I like it delivered. We had the loan car for almost 2 weeks while they were in touch with VW HQ to identify the problem and then to update the software and fit the new wheel. Admittedly, this was over the Christmas holidays so I think they did well.

Impossible to say how long your steering wheel will take as it depends on the current supply and demand.

But I would say that the repeated dinging is so distracting that it’s dangerous to drive the car on a long and unfamiliar journey. So yes, I’d insist on an equivalent loaner.

The good news is that the new steering wheel will almost certainly fix your problem. We haven’t had one instance of ‘travel assist not available since’ and it’s a different car - a pleasure to drive.

koolmacher
29-07-2021, 06:22 PM
Got an update today, a new steering wheel, and control module that had something to do with the state of charge coming from the 12v battery are on order and they hope to have it done by the end of next week. We shall see....

koolmacher
10-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Got the car back today it's had a new steering wheel fitted another control module replaced again no detail which control module and had what is listed as "recall campaign"work done to it but no software update still on 1664. I'll report back in a week or so to see if anything been fixed this time, at the rate of faulty parts being I'll have have a new golf again by the end of the year....

koolmacher
25-08-2021, 10:04 PM
Well it appears Travel assist us fixed since the steering wheel was replaced as could of weeks ago, I now just need a solution to the infotainment screen randomly crashing and rebooting. Also had collision assist unavailable a few times when the temperature lowers during the late evening

djangophi
01-09-2021, 10:06 AM
check latest posts in rejection advice.

GLX
01-09-2021, 07:49 PM
Ended up taking mine in again for travel assist issues. Had the software update in January which I thought had fixed matters, but it came back sporadically and then more frequently to the point where it would just go off and stay off (actually better than it pinging). Anyway, they ordered new steering wheel and loom, sounds like that should fix matters. Thankfully little else wrong with mine…

bfr
08-03-2022, 09:22 AM
Despite having a load of updates and the new wheel/loom last summer then some issues have started to arise again. Radio stopping working (requires forcing the entertainment unit to reset) and transient warnings for stuff like the parking sensors tripping off, usually when starting,

EDIT: Now its spread to getting a loud pop in the speakers after a few minutes driving and then the SOS system failing. The car ended up ringing the fault in itself which triggered an appointment being made (the booking details suggested its yet another a recall matter).

Ian Grout
27-05-2023, 07:40 PM
Golf Mk8 Estate 2021 Software 1788 - Front / Travel / Emergency assist light fault. Like most here we have had intermittent fault lights with no logic behind why that was happening. Tried all the usual tricks - rebooting - pushing and pulling the steering wheel in frustration (and cursing all things VW) - cleaning the sensors - cleaning the VW front badge (behind which the sensor / radar camera sits) all to no avail. Still frustrated we were travelling down the motorway to Manchester with the warning light going off like there was no tomorrow (at this rate I thought there's going to be no tomorrow for this car), then a couple of things occurred to me - 1) the manual says that the warning can be triggered if the view of radar sensor or camera is impaired due to weather conditions - 2) we had been driving in very bright sunlight with high contrast of light and shade flickering. So I thought could the radar be "confused" by refections somehow. When I had a look later I saw that the top edge of the numberplate was shiny aluminium. This could possibly reflect into the camera / sensor. So I simply painted the top edge with mat black paint. And, guess what? The warning light has not triggered for 2 months now. So go check the top edge of your numberplate and make it mat black. It just might solve your problem.

Dimitradze
23-11-2023, 10:07 PM
I had this problem when the battery was going to die but I still didn't know that. Maybe this will help someone: the battery should show 12.5 volts in modern VW (and any cars actually). If it goes below that treshold, the car starts freaking out and all those assists error messages are attacking you like crazy. Jumping the battery helped me and in a month I had to buy a new battery, so now things are much better - no clinging at every traffic light.