PDA

View Full Version : Golf Engine Swap?

fastnovacrash
14-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi, I am new to golf’s (novas were my thing before) I have a 93 1.8 8v mk3 golf but the other day the oil pump decided to fail while I was doing about 60, you can imagine the results! Anyways, I loved the golf and the body is in such good condition would be a shame to let it go to the scrap yard in the sky.

Anyway, I have seen a 1.8 16v engine going cheep from a mk2 golf and I was wandering if it would be possible to swap them over? Would my current gearbox fit on and I don’t really want to have it dangling over the engine bay only to realise that the mounts are all in the wrong place! I was hoping the block is the same and it is only the head that is vastly different, also how much in the way of re-wiring would I have to do?

Any and all help would be much appreciated, I liked novas as all cars Vauxhall made around then all the parts cold be swapped over but this is a bit new to me!

Many Thanks

Jonathan:1zhelp:

TWVB
16-11-2007, 08:09 PM
think you would have to change
wiring loom,ecu and fuse box but its possible
your mounts are the same
just have to use your 8v
clutch to get your 8v box to fit

fastnovacrash
17-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks for replying :beerchug:

Their doesn’t seem to be to many people here willing to help me out! I have got the engine now, am going to re build it over the next few weeks and drop it in. 50 quid, not so bad I don’t think, it’s a KR one too.

Also found an ecu, loom, all the injection set-up and manifolds for sale so that’s me mostly sorted.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can tweak a few extra horses out of the engine while I am re building it, going to put high lift cams in, lighten the flywheel, maybe increase compression slightly, also as part of the re build going to re-bore and fit oversize pistons. But can anyone think of anything else I can do without too much haste, maybe to the injection system or along those lines?
I am an engineer so can probably make something up to make almost anything fit anything, if you know what I mean?..

Jonathan :wizard: