PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins in my electrics again. Mk3 golf

kojack3175
14-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey
I posted a question sometime ago about a problem with electrics/lights on a mk3 golf which i got help with and got sorted. Thing is, the gremlins seem to be back.
Theres a 1mth old battery in her but last night when i got home after a 50mile drive i went back out to go to town and she wouldn't start, she turned over once or twice but the battery was dead. I put it on a 12hr trickle charge last night put it in this morning and she started, drove to work and when i got there i turned her off and started it again to see if she would start but no joy, Dead. What gives do you think? alternator? wiring? Any help please..?

bora(ing) nick
14-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Sounds like the alternator to me.....

Get a volt meter on the battery with the car running.....it should read about 13.7v at idle upto 14.5 fast idle.

Sounds like your new battery hasn't been getting a charge, and has just drained itself over the last two weeks.

Nick

kojack3175
15-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey
Thanks for the reply. Ok, heres what i did using a multimeter. Jumped started the bad golf from a good golf and got a reading of 9.5v/10.8v at idle.

Tested the other golf at idle and got a reading of between 13.7v at idle upto 14.5 fast idle, so i hope i can take it that my alternator is shot? i say hopefully as an alternators not so bad but a wiring problem is a different kettle of fish. Also, i should add that this is the 3rd battery in 2 years.

bora(ing) nick
15-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Get a volt meter on the battery with the car running.....it should read about 13.7v at idle upto 14.5 fast idle.

Hey
Thanks for the reply. Ok, heres what i did using a multimeter. Jumped started the bad golf from a good golf and got a reading of 9.5v/10.8v at idle.

Tested the other golf at idle and got a reading of between 13.7v at idle upto 14.5 fast idle.

Yep, definately sounds like the alternator...

My figures wern't too far off were they ;) lol.

Nick