PDA

View Full Version : please help new mk3 owner car doesnt want to accelerate

sponger2
07-09-2006, 06:47 PM
hi just managed to bag myself a L reg golf mk3 gti 8v for £400 :biglaugh: but i have a big problem :( the car for some reason when i accelerate just seems to idle i.e foot down and going v slow then will just suddenly kick back in and off she goes again this is getting very frustrating when pulling out quickly at roundabouts (will it do it wont it ) it doesnt do this all the time seems to go away for a bit when i give it some beans but as soon as a quick stop say drive thru mcd's then it will come back also i can sometimes smell fuel in the air and it tis slightly strong :confused:

anyways just joined upto this fab forum and cant wait to see if someone has some knowledge on this problem thankyou Sponger2:1zhelp:

jamesots
31-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Has anyone been able to help with it yet?

James

jamesots
12-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, for me it turned out to be a combination of two things:

1. A pressured fuel pipe in the injection system was leaking - hence the fuel smell and lack of power (due to lack of fuel getting to the engine)

2. A leaky exhaust downpipe - which was messing up the readings the lambda sensor was getting, and making the mixture too rich - making it feel like I was driving with the choke out.