PDA

View Full Version : Software madness continues

WakeyN
11-10-2020, 11:51 AM
My 6 week old golf 8 goes back to the dealer for the third time this week. Latest crazy software funnies are that the sound system switched itself on when I was parked, and holding a conversation with my grandson. Also, the clock stopped for some 10 minutes whilst I was parked, but restarted at the correct time when the ignition was switched on. These are not crucial faults, but I am constantly wondering what is next. Cannot relax when driving which is not good.

johnsimcox
12-10-2020, 08:21 AM
Had all sorts of issues with the software on my wife's Golf this weekend. Despite selecting the Primary User, the car would not come out of Guest Mode. On the one occassion it did it then reverted to Guest Mode after a short while meaning thedo a factory reset re was no active data connection and therefore no traffic information available for our 160 mile drive. Later in the weekend it kept asking me to log-in to activate any set up user and then ignored the input data. Had to switch to using Maps via CarPlay for the return journey. Yesterday I did a full factory reset and things seem to be a bit better. During this also everytime you started the car kept getting a screen telling us how long the Primary User had been registered for, not sure if that is because it was deciding everyone was a guest. Also on doing a factory reset got a warning message about everythingbeing deleted etc and that the Primary User would get email saying the car had been reset. Guess what, no email! From what I read elsewhere I don't think VW is necessarily any worse than other manufacturers but what this does say to me is that we have a very long way to go before safe autonomous driving is going to be a reality

Handydave
12-10-2020, 06:20 PM
johnsimcox

If you find yourself stuck in guest mode for any reason, it may be that the privacy settings are set to the most restricted setting, which seems to be the default for guest mode. So the car can’t communicate with the outside world - there will be no globe on the top right of the info screen. To fix this, go to the car, select Users / Settings / Privacy Settings and select the least restrictive privacy setting (Share My Position).

Once youre connected, when you try to make yourself the primary user (in the car), the info screen should instruct you to press lock (or maybe unlock....) on one key and then on the second key.

Crasher
12-10-2020, 10:59 PM
And why are the dealers still not telling customers that VAG have said the car has been shipped with unfinished software? If VAG are struggling with this problem, what hope is there for smaller manufacturers? Let humans drive their cars, not computers!

Handydave
24-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Our Mk8 seems to have lost its connection to the outside world. The globe on the top right of the infotainment screen is sort of greyed out, and the data in the We Connect app hasn't updated for over a week. I've made sure that the e-SIM data connected is set to 'activated'.

Does anyone have a fix for this without doing a 'Reset to Factory Settings' which means going through the whole palaver of setting up the primary user again and restoring the user preferences?

johnsimcox
24-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Our Mk8 seems to have lost its connection to the outside world. The globe on the top right of the infotainment screen is sort of greyed out, and the data in the We Connect app hasn't updated for over a week. I've made sure that the e-SIM data connected is set to 'activated'.

Does anyone have a fix for this without doing a 'Reset to Factory Settings' which means going through the whole palaver of setting up the primary user again and restoring the user preferences?
This is exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Suggest you check the privacy level setting, but in the end I had to do a full reset to get it working properly

Handydave
24-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Thanks - privacy is set to least restrictive. Will have to think about a reset.

Cyborg2
24-10-2020, 06:36 PM
This type of software "glitch" is not just atributed to VW, the other vehicle types/brands associated with the parent company have similar issues to report, indeed this issue is across premium brands too.
Its fair to say that if you get a good Golf issues like you mention are few and far between, however updates should be plentifull (if subscribed as they like you to be), never the less they aren't that plentifull as they tend to bundle such revisions.
Ive had mine for a couple of weeks and not had an issue, but technology on the cheap does not always bear fruit, however if you have ever had a newish Land Rover you will always be in the workshop and thats a premium vehicle.
You get a good "tecky" at a local dealer ( or independant) that has the latest software package and the relevant experience, these "niggles" are gererally cured....we hope.
My lads Mk7 was in the workshop for 7 days, the diagnostics could not locate why the engine management light was on.....so a decent mechanic did things the old fashioned way and found a loose wire just by the process of elimination lol

Hylus
25-10-2020, 09:42 PM
This started happening on my (3-month old) Mk8 this week also, and I too have my privacy settings unrestricted. My software version is 1664. The last journey information from the car that's visible on the we-connect portal is from Oct 21st... so that's when it last had a connection i guess. I've contacted VW support about the issue but i'm not holding my breath.... they weren't much help with other infotainment issues i had before :/
I'll post up any info / solutions if i get them.

I'm gonna give it a few days to see if it fixes itself or VW somehow fix it, remotely. I really don't want to have to do a hard reset as all the driving history associated with users gets deleted from their profiles on the we-connect app/portal (which is what happened the last time i was forced to reset it)

In trying to fix this latest issue, I've tried changing user profiles, changing privacy settings, changing wifi networks, using a personal hotspot and also holding the power button down on the infotainment system until it resets... none made any difference. If anyone figures out how to fix this, let me know. Thanks.

PiperSniper93
25-10-2020, 10:42 PM
My Golf MK8 didn’t upload any data to WeConnect from 15th October until yesterday when it randomly started working again despite not doing anything differently. Weirdly when I got in the car it was in the ‘Guest’ user profile rather than mine (The primary user). During the outage the globe at the top right of the Infotainment screen (Which I assume shows the status of the Internet connection) was showing but was greyed out, since yesterday it has been lit up normally.

I’d try switching to the guest user, switch off the car and leave it overnight and then sign back in as the primary user the next day to try and resolve the issue but other than that I wonder if VW are doing something to the backend systems their end which is causing random Golfs to not connect for a while

Handydave
25-10-2020, 11:15 PM
Our’s lost connection on 16 October. Good to hear from PiperSniper93 that your’s sorted itself eventually. Like Hylus, I’ll give it a few days yet - and will try putting it to sleep in guest mode.

Thanks for all the input!

jmagee
26-10-2020, 12:09 AM
Picked ours up yesterday. Dealer couldn't register it so I did when I got home.

Anyone know the deal with all of the data stuff? I also keep getting a warning about some traffic system not working. Too slow to take a picture of it but it's annoying me.

Still love the car otherwise. Shame it's the wife's [emoji23]

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Handydave
26-10-2020, 07:35 AM
Anyone know the deal with all of the data stuff?

As far as I know, you don’t need a data plan for the normal car system communications (live traffic, map updates, sending vehicle data) - that’s covered in the three year subscription to ‘We Connect Plus’ that comes with the car. (When it’s working that is.....)

I think you only need a data plan if you want to stream music or use the car as a Wi-fi hotspot - please correct me if I’m wrong!

If you don’t want to buy a data plan, you can connect the car to your phone’s mobile hotspot via WiFi, which can be enabled in the vehicle settings.

johnsimcox
26-10-2020, 09:19 AM
Picked ours up yesterday. Dealer couldn't register it so I did when I got home.

Anyone know the deal with all of the data stuff? I also keep getting a warning about some traffic system not working. Too slow to take a picture of it but it's annoying me.

Still love the car otherwise. Shame it's the wife's [emoji23]

The dealer should have activated everything as part of the vehicle handover process. SOunds to me like they have not done it or did it so late in the process that the VW server has not caught up yet. If it is not active in a day or day yoiu should contact the dealer. If you go to the Shop section in the online portal (not the shop in the car) We Connect (https://www.portal.volkswagen-we.com/portal/en_GB/) you can see if We Connect Plus is activated for you or not

johnsimcox
26-10-2020, 09:58 AM
As far as I know, you don’t need a data plan for the normal car system communications (live traffic, map updates, sending vehicle data) - that’s covered in the three year subscription to ‘We Connect Plus’ that comes with the car. (When it’s working that is.....)

I think you only need a data plan if you want to stream music or use the car as a Wi-fi hotspot - please correct me if I’m wrong!

If you don’t want to buy a data plan, you can connect the car to your phone’s mobile hotspot via WiFi, which can be enabled in the vehicle settings.
You are correct

jmagee
26-10-2020, 11:10 AM
It's all connected now but that's because I did it at home. Not too impressed with the handover to be honest but then the usual guy I go to hasn't returned to work yet so ended up dealing with someone different.

johnsimcox
26-10-2020, 11:13 AM
This started happening on my (3-month old) Mk8 this week also, and I too have my privacy settings unrestricted. My software version is 1664. The last journey information from the car that's visible on the we-connect portal is from Oct 21st... so that's when it last had a connection i guess. I've contacted VW support about the issue but i'm not holding my breath.... they weren't much help with other infotainment issues i had before :/
I'll post up any info / solutions if i get them.

I'm gonna give it a few days to see if it fixes itself or VW somehow fix it, remotely. I really don't want to have to do a hard reset as all the driving history associated with users gets deleted from their profiles on the we-connect app/portal (which is what happened the last time i was forced to reset it)

In trying to fix this latest issue, I've tried changing user profiles, changing privacy settings, changing wifi networks, using a personal hotspot and also holding the power button down on the infotainment system until it resets... none made any difference. If anyone figures out how to fix this, let me know. Thanks.
When I did a full reset in the car and then readded all the users (including going through the process of having both keys in the car to do it) I did not lose any of the exisiting travel data in the car or in the We Connect app

johnsimcox
26-10-2020, 11:26 AM
It's all connected now but that's because I did it at home. Not too impressed with the handover to be honest but then the usual guy I go to hasn't returned to work yet so ended up dealing with someone different.

You will have the opportunity to make your dissatisfaction known in the follow-up customer satisfaction survey from VW. ANything less than 5* across the board and the dealer loses the bonus from VW on the sale and the sales person will have some explaining to do. I've lost count in the number of times i have been asked from both VW and Audi dealers, if I have been given "5* service". It is very important to them

jmagee
26-10-2020, 11:34 AM
Yes we got that. Part of me doesn't want them to lose the bonus but as a returning customer I haven't walked away happy. Less than half a tank of fuel in the car and then they hand me a promo offering me a free tank if I recommend someone [emoji23] I recommended myself. Where's my fuel please?

Crasher
27-10-2020, 09:57 AM
I am not looking forward to the Golf 8 coming into the aftermarket, the car uses VAG's new SFD diagnostic protection software and they have posted a link on erWin for independent operators to be able to learn how to se SFD with the ODIS software... it doesn't work though which is a great start! I do have a copy of it (they can't even spell "offboard" correctly) but it is a PDF file and I can't work out where to host it so if anyone wants it, private message me your email.

Crasher
27-10-2020, 10:00 AM
I wonder if this will work

FrenchAudi
27-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Yes we got that. Part of me doesn't want them to lose the bonus but as a returning customer I haven't walked away happy. Less than half a tank of fuel in the car and then they hand me a promo offering me a free tank if I recommend someone [emoji23] I recommended myself. Where's my fuel please?

If more customers completed the survey honestly it might help to get rid of some useless mechanics, maybe even some of the useless agents I have come across - or are you happy spending your hard-earned on poor work and extra time caused by incompetence?

FrenchAudi
27-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Looks a bit like the thin end of the wedge towards limiting access to more and more information in the name of security.

Everyone should be used to that by now......................

Edit: BYW, As far as I am aware, manufacturers are legally obliged to allow access via OBD by non-authorised users to only a limited amount of information, mainly related to emissions and safety considerations.

So, in the future, private users may not be able to access all the information available to authorised users, on new cars. At least until cracks are produced;)

Crasher
27-10-2020, 02:44 PM
The trouble is customers trash the service department for factory or sales faults so the picture gets lost. I know someone who trashed the service survey because a week after the service she got a puncture...

Handydave
27-10-2020, 02:53 PM
I've started a specific thread on the Mk8 GOlf losing connection to the VW servers. We need to get to the bottom of this.
Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW Servers (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196439-Golf-Mk8-eSIM-Losing-Connection-to-VW-Servers?p=1126209#post1126209)

FrenchAudi
27-10-2020, 02:59 PM
The trouble is customers trash the service department for factory or sales faults so the picture gets lost. I know someone who trashed the service survey because a week after the service she got a puncture...

That will always be the case as long as they have star system rating, they should insist on contacting the supplier before making bad reports, as ebay does, and insist on details of the problem.

Odiedog2
27-10-2020, 08:23 PM
I've had similar issues; my 8 week old car has had b its infotainment faults and front hazard faults. All due to software errors. The problem is with car manufacturers getting into the software business, which is never a good idea.

iMZee
27-10-2020, 10:46 PM
Does anyone know which company provides the development of the interface for the Golf? Seems VW may have changed providers with this company not providing satisfactory results. The software it self isn't that complicated compared to offerings from other companies.

Benqmark
29-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Not sure if this sits in this thread. Drove car to work yesterday no issues. When it came to leave, i started car and every single system monitor and driver assist flaged up errors. I had flashing lights everywhere. I restarted and still did not clear. Car was running fine so drove home. 20 mins later as i arrved outside my house, everything cleared and all systems normal. It appears fine again this morning. Anyone else experienced this? Its going into dealers in next week or so, hopefully on board system will show something.
Golf 8 style 1.5 150 manual.

Cyborg2
01-12-2020, 02:40 PM
Yes see my thread on itermittant faults, if they reset they wont be recorded by the on board diagnostics so the garage will not see anything.

WakeyN
14-12-2020, 10:48 PM
Back to the dealer again tomorrow. Today’s software gliches were “hazard warning is currently restricted”, in amber, on dashboard, with beeping tone, at frequent intervals. Could this be because rain got behind the badge at the front? Impossible to concentrate on driving; v dangerous!
Then, “Radio/Media is currently unavailable” on middle screen, in white. No idea why; radio continued playing.
So exasperated with this car. I don’t know what’s going to happen next.

WakeyN
01-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Result! Dealer agreed that I could reject the car, and refunded all that I had paid. “Putting me back where I was before buying it.” Only drawback; I traded in a perfectly good 4 year old car that I liked driving. Obviously cannot get that back, but I am so relieved to be rid of the Golf. Second worst car-buying decision I have ever made, behind a Vauxhall Viva ‘E’, in 1977!

michaelm713
08-01-2021, 12:55 AM
Result! Dealer agreed that I could reject the car, and refunded all that I had paid. “Putting me back where I was before buying it.” Only drawback; I traded in a perfectly good 4 year old car that I liked driving. Obviously cannot get that back, but I am so relieved to be rid of the Golf. Second worst car-buying decision I have ever made, behind a Vauxhall Viva ‘E’, in 1977!

Well done on that. I had a case with VW executive and they assured me if I wanted to reject the car they would step in and help with the dealer but I decided to persevere for now partly because I do enjoy the car when it works and like you said even with everything refunded I am left with no car, insurance premiums lost and the hassle of organising another car (and finance and credit checks) with my spec and waiting. In many ways, easier to stick with it. It is fine on shorter journeys and these days we don’t go very far!!!

At least I have the history now and I can always reopen the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsimcox
15-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Software seems to be not just a VW problem! 2 weeks ago there was the Tesla recall nad now this one from M-B
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56071108

Crasher
15-02-2021, 03:00 PM
The Tesla recall I saw related to a chip in the touch screen "wearing out", apparently each time it was used it wears and has a finite life! I didn't know chips suffered wear.

arturob
18-02-2021, 03:38 PM
Had my 8 Style Since November but it still only has 900 odd miles on the clock. My satnav went into some sort of standby mode and other things were constantly resetting themselves - VW Did offer a solution which they sent to my dealer and it went in yesterday
to have it fixed -- when I phoned to ask if it would be ready the answer was NO !. Apparently the battery that drives the electrics and infotainment system was faulty and the dealer said when they went to order a replacement it was looking like they might have to
get one from Germany !. My 3rd Golf and whilst it is OK to drive it is all getting lost in the antipathy I have built up towards the infotainment system. Dealer has lent me a polo R line.....which I like an awful lot better. Unfortunately my golf is a lease and I am
hooked now for 2 years

djangophi
18-02-2021, 04:38 PM
I tried to get mine booked in to VW to check the issues surrounding the warnings and dings that occur. Bear in mind that I contacted them at which point they then tell me that there is a recall on it to fix the very issues I'm complaining about.
There's a software update that is supposed to take the better part of a day, and also some part which they're having to order in from Germany, They said they'd contact me when it arrives to get me booked in.

It does sound like VW have something in the works to resolve the issues, however, it still begs the question as to why they can't get the software right first time round. I'm skeptical of any updates given that their software development lifecycle clearly sucks.