PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to tinting

Big_E
14-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi all, I've been wanting to get my windows tinted for a while. Don't mind paying to get the rears and rear screen done. But I saw a while ago, a link to a firm which cut out these "film" type "blinds" which you can smooth over your glass for an instant tint. And can be removed in seconds and re used again.

Does anyone have any details on these, IE for use on the front windows, if the vehicle is left in sunshine etc.

And can be removed when your driving normally.

bora(ing) nick
14-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I think IIRC that they were v. Expensive, so i didn't bother.

Big E, empty your pm box.....It's full!

Nick

Big_E
14-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I think IIRC that they were v. Expensive, so i didn't bother.

Big E, empty your pm box.....It's full!

Nick

Aye, might be worth getting some cheap blinds with a rubber suction.

As I don't have Air con, im dreading the days of getting into a hot car again HA.

Cleared now mate. :)

Ben
14-11-2007, 09:24 PM
eshrules was looking in to a group buy for these shades http://www.oesunshades.com/about-us.htm

Big_E
14-11-2007, 11:00 PM
That was it, I like the idea of these, to use on front windows in the Summer . 1 for security and 2. because they were removable, IE not tinted.

I take it the group buy didn't go down well ?

eshrules was looking in to a group buy for these shades http://www.oesunshades.com/about-us.htm

Ben
14-11-2007, 11:07 PM
we live in uk and for the short amount of sun / warm weather, could the member justyfy the cost over the ammount of use they'd have?

i do however like the look of them.

RickT
15-11-2007, 12:43 AM
we live in uk and for the short amount of sun / warm weather, could the member justyfy the cost over the ammount of use they'd have?

i do however like the look of them.

i could never justify the cost of these... the only real advantage i can see is if you have young kids in the back of the car and you want to protect them from the sun shining at them while travelling long distances....

Apart from that i dont see the point...

I would not mind getting the rear glass smoked, but i dont what to have a dark cabin....

Think i will stick to the aircon...

Rick

cbrpaul
16-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Big_E

I got a sharan , which has more glass in it than the Crystal palace !!!!!

In summer this thing si like a greenhouse:aargh4: , even with aircon on full blast ,

We got a dog and 2 kids , we travel to Cornwall twice a year in the summer plus many other places throught out the summer months ,

So i looked into this window tiniting , and decided to go DIY with some tint film from Ebay ,

I paid £20 for all rear windows , thats 4 windows on the sharan , ( you cant do the front sides or main windscreen in limo black )

I used the limo black , it went on very easily , and looks good ,

For £20 and a few hours time , well worth it for me ,

The difference is remarkable in the sun too , you can still look out no problem , the kids and dog are much more happier , also my lads PS2 in the back has a much better view due to the darkness in the rear

:beerchug:

Big_E
16-11-2007, 04:32 PM
CBR Paul, Cheers mate I have contemplated doing it my self.

I understand its a case of doing it in warm weather, using warm water and soapy spray and some cloths sponge.

Did you have to take the glass out? or did you cut it to size.

I've had quotes off £110-£150 for rear tinting. The tint it's self costs about £20/£30 depending where you go. I am not sure yet, I might have a go, I just need the encouragement.

:)

prolfe
16-11-2007, 06:09 PM
The difference is remarkable in the sun too , you can still look out no problem , the kids and dog are much more happier , also my lads PS2 in the back has a much better view due to the darkness in the rear

I remember when i was younger that the most exciting thing we had in the back of a car on long journeys was a centre arm rest.

And before that it was 'to sit in the middle'.

cbrpaul
16-11-2007, 09:42 PM
CBR Paul, Cheers mate I have contemplated doing it my self.

I understand its a case of doing it in warm weather, using warm water and soapy spray and some cloths sponge.

Did you have to take the glass out? or did you cut it to size.

I've had quotes off £110-£150 for rear tinting. The tint it's self costs about £20/£30 depending where you go. I am not sure yet, I might have a go, I just need the encouragement.

:)

Its quite easy all the tint i got from ebay was pre-cut m8 !!!!

You need a squirty thing with soapy water , and i used a plastic credit card to push the water and air bubbles out,

Just spray laods all over the window and the film sticky side , using the card to push all out ,,,

did not need to remove windows either ,

Its not a pro job , but good enough for me ,

one word of warning , keep the film off the seats or doors , as it will pick up any hairs etc,, and will stick like glue , then will show up on the window when it dries ,

If you decide to DIY , can give you more help and advice ok ;)

I remember when i was younger that the most exciting thing we had in the back of a car on long journeys was a centre arm rest.

lol same here , how times change eh !!

Ben
16-11-2007, 10:09 PM

me too, couldn't agree more.

Big_E
16-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the advise, I will give it a go after X mas.

BTW I got a quote of £130 for from the other link for my car.
Hmmm. I think I'll go for tints.

cbrpaul
17-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the advise, I will give it a go after X mas.

BTW I got a quote of £130 for from the other link for my car.
Hmmm. I think I'll go for tints.

ok give us shout if need be m8 :D

oh next time im up Old Trafford , maybe I will pop around yours for a cuppa lol ;)

Big_E
19-11-2007, 02:12 AM
ok give us shout if need be m8 :D

oh next time im up Old Trafford , maybe I will pop around yours for a cuppa lol ;)

Only if you come round on the Honda (CBR)