PDA

View Full Version : 100km problem Golf V

markaus
07-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Greetings from Australia

I am hoping someone might be able to help with a problen I am having with my 2.0FSI Golf.
1. Problem occurs after travel at speeds of over 80kph for more that about 10 minutes
2. Problem does not happen at any other time
3. Yesterday I had the impression that acceleration at 100kph was "uneven" so may be happening during driving at speed as well
4. Idle after travel is unaffected
5. Problem occurs during acceleration and gear changes
6. Problem self corrects after a minute or so.
7. No hint of problems before speed travel or after self correction except that rarely the engine will miss a "beat" at idle
8. Power/torque is uneven during problem
9. On gear change depression of clutch and release of throttle does not result in drop in revs immediately. RPM will go up to around 3000 before falling.
10. 6 and 7 happen together
11. Power and torque feel greater and more even with traction control off. (Is this normal).

It make sense then that the problem is in a system or part that:
a) changes function or settings when traveling at speed
b) Is able to self correct
c) Is either undetectable as a fault or is intermittent, or the computer considers this to be normal function because it is within normal ranges, the right thing happening at the wrong time.
d) Controls directly or indirectly the rpm and possibly power and torque

Its really annoying. VW have replaced the fuel pressure sensor with no effect. Any ideas? The car has 7000km but VW don't seem to know what to do.

Cheers, Mark

pietrof
02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi,

The symtoms you describe seem very familiar. On a recent long journey my Touran started cutting out at speeds greater than 100kph. The power from the engine stopped completely, and I had to pull over to the side of the road. Starting the engine again the problem had sorted itself out, but then a few minutes later as I was accelerating to overtake on the motorway exactly the same. This time the power came back after about 30 secs, but I was limited to 3000 RPM. Pulling over and stoppping, and restarting the engine sorted it out again. After this happened a few more times, sometimes it would sort itself after a minute or 2, or sometimes it would limit the revs.. I decided to limit my speed, and travelled the next 500 km of my journey at 100kph...

The problems started when I filled up with 'blue fuel' in France. This is the new 98 RON petrol. After telling this to the VW dealership they beleived that the problem was due to this, as the FSI engines do not work well with this fuel. They told me that after filling with the normal 'green' 98 RON petrol the problem should sort itself out. 3 refuels later (after running to nearly empty each time) and the problem persists.

Did you manage to resolve your issue? It would be good to have some suggestions before I go back to the dealership.

thanks,
Pietro

markaus
03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Petrof

I think it is sorted out but not sure how. The VW dealer has looked at it a few times with no results at all. Not sure what "blue" fuel is but Shell in Australia have a new 98RON fuel and have had no problems since. They also do a 100RON Shell Racing Fuel which works superbly in the 2.0 FSI although not sure about warranty. Sorry I can't be more help.

Cheers

Mark

passat boy
22-01-2007, 05:18 PM
i have read reports of new golfs with "wire" steering having this type of trouble,the cable wears causing a short or something of the like causing the e.c.u to assume danger(steering failure causing a crash)and slowing the car to prevent an accident or worse? just what ive read but worth a look!

markaus
23-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Cheers Passat Boy

I will mention it to the service center. The problem seems to have gone for now. Not sure how that can happen but it hasn't recurred. There is some valve rattle on gear changes recently which I will get the dealer to look at.

Thanks