PDA

View Full Version : Golf 8 Software Updates

alfei
22-09-2020, 06:39 PM
Hey all.

Wanted to create a thread to track the Golf 8 software updates and any issues encountered (if any).

As of today (22nd September 2019), there was an OTA update and I've now got the following.

This information can be found by going to: Settings -> System Information (down the bottom)

To check for updates to the vehicle: Go to Settings -> System Information and then press "Update software". Wait a (long!) while and it'll hopefully find one!
To check for updates to "Store" purchases: Open the store (with the vehicle ignition on) and any updates will be displayed directly on the application tile.

System information

Hardware: H56
Software: 1664
Display unit/control panel hardware: H40
Display unit/control panel software: 3074
Navigation database: 20.7
Media codec: 3.1.4
Radio database: 1.30.12

Changelog

Background system processes:

Fixed errors

Other updates

The Alexa App was also updated to version 1.01.

Crasher
23-09-2020, 08:54 AM
This could perhaps end up being the longest thread on this forum.

jamie_1
26-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Thanks for starting - it's a shame more of the release isn't explained as I can't tell the difference between my previous version and this current one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

iMZee
27-09-2020, 11:12 AM
The alexa app actually works now, 2 months after I bought the car :biglaugh:

I've also noticed the climate control actually responds to you now when you first start the car, So i guess they've prioritised it under initial start up.

leea123
27-09-2020, 04:57 PM
had notification of update, said was installing, nothing seemed to happen , then tried to search for update waited 15 min, nothing :) will let dealer know , they can sort it

jamie_1
28-09-2020, 02:05 PM
I updated my system no problem, then noticed Alexa download was still "pending" (as it has been for the past 3 months), I reset infotainment to factory settings and now it does not find the latest software updates.

I also cannot register myself as the primary user, everything I tap 'become primary user' nothing happens!

Have tried a few times, turning ignition off, using the app etc. But no luck so far. Just a word of warning to anyone else who may be debating to factory reset!

johnsimcox
28-09-2020, 02:48 PM
I think you need to use the web based portal to set yourself as the primary user

jamie_1
28-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately the Web based portal is telling me to go to VW, which is slightly more confusing :S

Handydave
28-09-2020, 07:44 PM
So the web portal is telling you to go to the car with two keys, right? But when you select make me the primary user, nothing happens, or you end up waiting indefinitely?

The problem is that you are logged in to the car as a guest user and the privacy settings are probably set to the most restricted setting. So the car can’t communicate with the outside world - there will be no globe on the top right of the info screen. To fix this, go to the car, select Users / Settings / Privacy Settings and select the least restrictive privacy setting (Share My Position).

Now, when you try to make yourself the primary user (in the car), the info screen should instruct you to press lock (or maybe unlock....) on one key and then on the second key.

Good luck!

jamie_1
28-09-2020, 09:03 PM
Yep, all of the above - go to VW with both keys and nothing happens/stuck in the loop when tapping become primary user!

That all sounds familiar now you mention it, I didn't have any issues setting it up the first time around.

Thanks for the walkthrough, very helpful- will give it a go tomorrow!

jamie_1
29-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tip handydave, worked perfectly! Updates still hang when searching and no luck on the Alexa side of things, I'll keep trying the updates else will call the dealer.

Handydave
29-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Glad it worked for you.

As regards the software update, you might have better luck if you try to connect via external wifi - your home wifi if it reaches the car, or a mobile phone hotspot. In the car go to settings / wifi to make the connection, then try the software update again.

Pinocchio
29-09-2020, 05:15 PM
I have done several OTA software updates with the esim and not had any problems. I still have one outstanding issue with activating light assist,which is just saying activating and on the web portal it is saying in progress.VW digital are aware of this and hopefully will resolve it shortly.

leea123
30-09-2020, 12:06 PM
Glad it worked for you.

As regards the software update, you might have better luck if you try to connect via external wifi - your home wifi if it reaches the car, or a mobile phone hotspot. In the car go to settings / wifi to make the connection, then try the software update again.

was trying to update mine again today, was just getting searching for updates with the circle going round and round , also tried it on wifi, was the same ,
my software version not the same as posted in thread earlier, so i am assuming i need an update. Car is going to dealer tomorrow, so will post back with any info to help others

oakserver
30-09-2020, 10:01 PM
I received an OTA update a couple of days ago which reported that it had been successfully installed. Alexa is now working, and perhaps its just my imagination but the driver assistance screen on the main dashboard now seems to show a bends in the road ahead when detected by the camera. I don't recall that before but I might be wrong?

However, my version has stayed on 1650. I have a Style eTSI variant could it be on an older software version.

I wonder if the 1650 was the original software before the recall update. The dealer I bought the car from said they had updated it on 11 June 2020 and shows as a repair event in the VW app.

Handydave
30-09-2020, 10:16 PM
Ours is also a Style eTSI DSG and software version is 1664.

oakserver
01-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Ours is also a Style eTSI DSG and software version is 1664.

Thanks handydave.

I'll take that screenshot along to my VW dealer appointment next week..

Mine reads as below - quite different numbers to yours.

leea123
03-10-2020, 10:12 AM
was told , the update has been taken down as it does not fix the issue was designed for , was told at vw dealer yesterday , so explains why some can not find any update when searching

Crasher
03-10-2020, 01:22 PM
The Digital Golf is a step too far, all car makes need to reign in this technology race and go back to basics; personally I feel the plot was lost with the PQ35 platform. This week I had an Altea XL where almost all the electronics shut down just leaving the engine, steering, hazard warning, headlights and radio. Thankfully this happened when parked and it was all cursed by a wiring short in the front passengers door which took out the body computer and CAN BUS. It is only 5 years old and done 28k miles, what is going to happen when a design fault/manufacturing defect like this happens to a 396v electric car?

m1h4
18-10-2020, 08:17 PM
I am also on version 1650 currently. Every time I try to find updates I just get the "searching for updates" with the circle going round and round like the person above. Tried on wifi also and no success. Is anyone able to get anything other thant this currently? Does it usually say something like "no updates found" or something? To me it seems like it's unable to even communicate with the server to ask for updates. Maybe this is how they "pulled" the last update, by turning off the servers…

Handydave
18-10-2020, 08:59 PM
I’ve never seen a ‘no updates found’ message, just the timer circle as you say. The only exception was that it did find an update once - as far as I recall it found it quite quickly. It did so when I was connected to Wi-fi, but this might just have been a coincidence.

Handydave
10-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Was notified of an over-the-air software update this afternoon, but as I was driving have only just implemented it. Here's the process:

There was a notification alerting me to the update:

Pressing 'here' brought me to this screen (showing in two parts due to scroll):

Pressing 'update' initiated the update (only took a minute or so using the built-in eSIM). A message was displayed saying update complete - the new functions will be available the next time you start the vehicle. (Sorry - didnt get a pic of this)

The system information now shows this (again, it's in two pics due to scrolling):

There doesn't seem to be any difference from my previous software version numbers, except the Display unit/ control panel software now says 'Unknown'.

Am not holding out much hope of anything significant. But at least we know the OTA software updates are still coming through.

ps This is for an eTSI 150 DSG Style with HUD / Winter / Reversing Camera.

jmagee
10-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Nice vehicle choice Dave. I couldn't convince the wife to get DSG [emoji20]

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

GLX
10-11-2020, 09:31 PM
Got the same update today. If I can make it to work tomorrow without one of the assist systems glitching I will be happy!

Pinocchio
11-11-2020, 12:41 AM
I had the same update today,but not noticed anything different.

Handydave
11-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Don’t want to speak too soon, or build up false hopes, but after yesterday’s ota software update I’ve been out this morning for a 15 mile journey (in the rain) and no ‘bings’. Previously was getting these alerts for Travel Assist and Emergency Assist not available at least once per journey and often more frequently.
@GLX (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=266211) - anything to report?

EDIT - yes, spoke too soon. Been out this afternoon (in even heavier rain) and multiple 'bings' coupled with Emergency Assist not available and Travel Assist not available.

Back to the drawing board.....

m4ttv
11-11-2020, 12:56 PM
There doesn't seem to be any difference from my previous software version numbers, except the Display unit/ control panel software now says 'Unknown'.

I normally seen Unknown for Display unit/ control panel versions after my car has had one of it's SOS/xx not active errors. A soft reset normally gets it to show the versions again (hold infotainment power button down until the Welcome to VW logo appears)

Handydave
11-11-2020, 05:22 PM
A soft reset normally gets it to show the versions again (hold infotainment power button down until the Welcome to VW logo appears)

Thanks, m4ttv. The soft reset did indeed bring up the details of the Display Panel/Control Unit hardware and software. Turns out, they're also the same as the previous version (H46 and 2091 respectively).

Must have been a minor update.

m1h4
23-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Hmm… My car seems to be stuck on the 1650 version of the software. There was no single Software Update found ever since I got it (2 months ago, car was purchased by first owner in March), maps do get updated however and I'm on 20.9 now like everyone else. Seems that bigger Software Updates do really need to be done by the dealer. When I contacted mine to enquire about this, their response was basically "we don't do that unles the manufacturer requests it" which seems weird to me, like they haven't been informed about how this is different for the Mk8.

Has anyone successfully gotten their car updated to a newer software version by their dealer?

jamie_1
23-11-2020, 11:14 AM
When I went to see my local VW dealer a couple of weeks ago the sales person I spoke to wasn't aware the golf 8 had over the air updates!

Mine is having the interior rear light replaced under warranty as I type, but will check when I get it back.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

m1h4
23-11-2020, 11:17 AM
Heh, one of the issues that I have with the car (that is probably? not software related) is that the interior rear right light will keep coming on and turning off by itself. This happens some time after starting the car and usually eventually goes away. Were you having the same problem? I don't drive anyone in the rear and the light was practically never used otherwise.

jamie_1
23-11-2020, 11:23 AM
I assume/hope it's more of a light unit fault!

I noticed a couple of others on here had the same thing too. It's replaceable under warranty should you ever want to get it done. It started to annoy me after a while, especially is I'm driving in the dark more now.

leea123
25-11-2020, 03:45 PM
Heh, one of the issues that I have with the car (that is probably? not software related) is that the interior rear right light will keep coming on and turning off by itself. This happens some time after starting the car and usually eventually goes away. Were you having the same problem? I don't drive anyone in the rear and the light was practically never used otherwise.

I had the same, was rear light unit fault, was replaced all ok

Handydave
25-11-2020, 08:02 PM
Notified of another software update this evening. The notification said it was for:

Implemented it, but no change to the version numbers shown in post #22 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=22) , except that the navigation database has gone to 20.10. (It didn’t take that long to download, mind you - around 30 secs - so can't have been a big change).

peje1873
19-12-2020, 09:36 PM
Hi All,

Picked up my car last week, overall very impressed with it. I had a 7R Estate previously so this is a very different car... but in a good way.

Immediately noticed that the keyless was a bit flakey, after maybe 30mins after locking it would just stop working and I'd have to unlock with the keyfob. Took it back to VQ this morning and they said it needed a SW update to fix the issue but that it wouldn't come OTA.

Honestly, I'm not convinced they aren't just bluffing to get some extra warranty hours for their labour... I guess I'll find out next week, assuming the new lockdown doesnt delay it.

(I also got an OTA update last week, just after collecting the car)

Crasher
19-12-2020, 10:10 PM
You need to treat your new car like a new PC or phone... not as a car.

jmagee
19-12-2020, 10:19 PM
You need to treat your new car like a new PC or phone... not as a car.Turn it off and on again?

Crasher
20-12-2020, 06:27 PM
That’s the one, every tech help lines favourite starting point “have you tried turning it off and back on again?” or in tech speak, a master reset.

Massimo2323
30-12-2020, 12:09 PM
Just an explanation on the Software updates of the car:
the Ota updates that come online are minor updates and upgrade the navigation and shop.
No change happens to the version number.
The version updates ( from 1664 to 1666 to 1668)can only happen at VW as these update all the control units in the car.
Maybe VW will eventually allow these updates just like Tesla but truth be told i wont think they will.
Also some newer models of the Golf 8, after build week 48, have sw 1788 but also have control unit for Pro 816D or for media 820D
earlier build for media/Pro is 816B
Now before you go to VW, it is possible that their latest version is 1664, and there seems to be various reasons like version 1666 was pulled because it had more problems.
Also any cars with the updates 1666/1668 and 1778 are all cars that came factory fitted with that software.
In fact some Golf 8 owner in Germany ,who has the 1666 software, went to VW to get the 1668 or 1788 update but was told they could only see an update version of 1664 on their system.
All i know is a big update is coming at the end of January that should fix many of the problems appearing on the Golf 8. We will see.

Handydave
30-12-2020, 07:40 PM
^^^ Very helpful information!

jamie_1
05-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Mine went in to have the rear interior light unit replaced today, I noticed on the work sheet there was a recall '97EH' that will also be carried out. Asked what this was, apparently 4 software updates were outstanding and was issued in late December. They didn't elaborate on any changes once asked further.

Received a phone call at 5pm advising the car had been plugged in for 5 hours and the update had still not completed. Hopefully just slow VW network update servers.

Once I get the car back I will advise of the versions being run.

jmagee
05-01-2021, 07:48 PM
Not sure I'd trust VW servers to update my Kindle never mind a car. They seem to be offline more than they're on.

Ours hasn't had it's 1000 mile check yet.

oPeanut
06-01-2021, 09:27 AM
My car was in for the '97EH' recall yesterday as well, no real idea what they've done but I've got in the car today and there's an update available through the infotainment and the parking sensors don't fancy working. Getting sick and tired of the software in this car now!

jmagee
06-01-2021, 09:31 AM
It's things like that that worry me. Touch wood ours is ok so far. Don't really want updates that might cause issues.

GMNI2021
06-01-2021, 08:04 PM
Hi first post! I got my Golf 8 GTI 23rd Dec and have also been having quite a few software problems, Keyless doesn’t work if car is left sitting for any length of time and lots of other smaller glitches! Software is showing as 1666, when I try to update the circle just spins forever, longest I have left it is about 30 mins, have tried over esim and WiFi. Going to dealer tomorrow to hopefully get new download!!!

Handydave
06-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

When there is an over-the-air software update available for your vehicle you will receive a notification on the infotainment screen and you can initiate the update from the notification. (See post #22 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=22) for the process). Trying to prompt one by searching for it just gives the results you have described.

Anyway, it seems that OTA software updates are for fairly minor things, satnav map updates and changes to the online shop were two that I’ve received so far.

The big software updates can only been done by a dealer and word is these can take around 6 hours.

jamie_1
06-01-2021, 08:53 PM
Got car back from the dealer today with the software changed to the below. Note that I haven't had a chance to see if much has changed yet, there is also an OTA update available that is also yet to download.

Software: 1668
Display unit/control hardware: unknown
Display unit/control software: unknown
Navigation database: 20.11
Radio database: 1.30.12

M6TT F
06-01-2021, 09:02 PM
Good evening. I found this forum via google search for software issues - it seems I'm not alone. I picked up my Mk8 GTI Clubsport the day of lockdown. The dealer wasn't able to get the WeConnect activated, despite multiple attempts. They have called me to say they have been in touch with VW, and it requires the SOS button to be replaced, which seems odd. Hopefully it will work, as I currently cant set a primary user. The keyless opening seems to be very hit and miss too, especially overnight. Seems like there's quite a few bugs that need ironing out!

jmagee
07-01-2021, 07:31 PM
My dealer couldn't set that up either. You need to change the privacy settings to the least private.
Then it will connect to servers etc. I did it the second I got home and away from them messing about. Doesn't take long

M6TT F
07-01-2021, 10:33 PM
I thought I had changed the privacy settings to minimum, using the right most button. I switched it to max and then back to minimum, and tried again, and it worked!

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas on getting the keyless entry to work consistently?

jmagee
07-01-2021, 11:11 PM
Ours (the wife's golf) doesn't have keyless and I've turned it off on my new car.

M6TT F
08-01-2021, 12:18 AM
I much prefer having it. My mk7 had it, and I never misplaced my keys once, as I never took them out of my pocket

jmagee
08-01-2021, 12:36 AM
I don't take them out either. Just press the button in my pocket. Still keyless start. The first thing I open is the electronic boot from the fob so actually keyless would slow me down [emoji23]

I believe, but don't quote me on this, that the keys go to sleep for security reasons. Could that be causing your issues?

M6TT F
08-01-2021, 07:15 AM
Wasn’t aware of that, I’ll look into it. The boot opens keyless too though, no blip required. The doors remain locked when you do do, which I liked

GMNI2021
08-01-2021, 11:33 AM
When I first approach my car after leaving it for a time the keyless won’t open the doors but will open the boot ok. I have to use the fob to unlock doors. When getting out it locks fine using keyless and will open using keyless there and then. Seems to go to sleep. Going back to dealer next week, guy in dealership seemed aware of keyless issue but thought that I could of update the software myself. Told him software update wasn’t happening so going back for them to sort.

M6TT F
08-01-2021, 02:34 PM
this perfectly describes the issue I have too. I've called the dealer today, and they said they will speak to the main technician

Massimo2323
09-01-2021, 03:49 PM
Hi, i also have this problem with the keyless entry. So i checked erwin workshop and found this:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/blob:http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/e1dc4b82-b621-4c40-8535-2ed6eb2f08b4

With vcds i downloaded all the control units information and looked at the kessy unit software version in my Golf:
So my part number is 5WA959436C and software number is 0703.
So need to update the sw to 0706 which should solve the problem of the keyless. The action code is 4547.
I will call the garage on monday and get it sorted as only they can do these kind of updates����

Crasher
11-01-2021, 09:48 AM
I will call the garage on monday and get it sorted as only they can do these kind of updates����

Some independents like myself have achieved SFD clearance but as the cars will be under warranty for at least the next two years I am not sure why I bothered yet.

Massimo2323
11-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Some independents like myself have achieved SFD clearance but as the cars will be under warranty for at least the next two years I am not sure why I bothered yet.

Nice👍. I have friends in Italy that work at a VAG Garage and they have coded a good few Golf 8 cars.
Coding like activating the maps on the AID for those with Discovery Media, adding the Cards and AID Views of Gti/ R on lower model Golf and other tweaks like seat belt beep disabled, Video in motion, etc.
They have told their customers that their warranty will not be affected and the setting made would not be resetted even if VW update the control units.

alfei
11-01-2021, 11:33 PM
Interesting article posted over on the German motor-talk.de forums regarding VW Software recall: VW will alle Golf VIII in die Werkstatt rufen (https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/auto-verkehr/vw-will-alle-golf-viii-in-die-werkstatt-rufen-17141438.html)

I've experience numerous issues with the software and the vehicle is going in on Thursday. Will report back if I have any software updates!

Pinocchio
12-01-2021, 01:10 AM
Above link translated so people don't need to wonder what the article says.

The automobile manufacturer Volkswagen is considering calling all models of the Golf VIII delivered to the workshop. According to information from the F.A.Z. heard from business circles. The latest version of the bestseller has to struggle with considerable problems in the software control for the infotainment system. Again and again there are total failures of the navigation or other displays on the screen in the middle of the cockpit.

Most recently, the F.A.Z. reported a system failure in a driving report on the Golf GTE. The infotainment only recovers after hours of waiting, provided the vehicle is parked and the ignition is switched off. Volkswagen has identified a control unit that is said to be responsible for the apparently massive errors. It should now be exchanged, and a software update should also be installed.

Internally, the working time is estimated at around 5 hours. Customers are to be offered a replacement car for the time they are in the workshop. In addition, VW wants to advertise the acceptance of the service offer with vouchers for an inspection or another smaller service. Because the measure is not an official recall ordered by the Federal Motor Transport Authority, but a voluntary measure by Volkswagen. What is reportedly not or cannot be changed as part of the repair is the unfortunate circumstance that the touch-sensitive bar for adjusting the radio volume and the air conditioning is not illuminated at night and is therefore virtually inoperable.

The subsequent installation of lighting seems to be technically impossible or too expensive. Customers are to be informed of the measure by letter in the next few days. It was not initially possible to find out how much money Volkswagen would have to spend on this.

Handydave
12-01-2021, 08:32 AM
Very interesting.

For those with repeated 'dinging' (see Intermittant fault (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196489-Intermittant-fault) thread) it seems dealers have to apply this software update first to see if it cures the problem; and if not then they will be allowed by VW HQ to change the steering wheel.

I wonder if this is the software update to the aerial control module that the dealer first told me about last November when I initially reported the dinging?

jamie_1
12-01-2021, 09:14 AM
Very interesting.

For those with repeated 'dinging' (see Intermittant fault (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196489-Intermittant-fault) thread) it seems dealers have to apply this software update first to see if it cures the problem; and if not then they will be allowed by VW HQ to change the steering wheel.

I wonder if this is the software update to the aerial control module that the dealer first told me about last November when I initially reported the dinging?

Picked mine up from the dealer after having a software update (mentioned in one of my above posts) and the travel assist unavailable dinging has been relentless - 12 times in 30 seconds was my personal best (previously done it once every few journeys). Going back to the dealer next week - said they need the car for a few days as it may be a wiring issue.

Although I'm sure they are aware it's a wider issue!

Handydave
12-01-2021, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure they'll tell you the steering wheel and loom needs to be replaced. (They're on back order....)

M6TT F
13-01-2021, 08:43 PM
Mines in on Friday for the software update to address the unresponsive keyless entry. I’ll let you know how it goes!

johnsimcox
14-01-2021, 09:39 AM
VW to "recall" 7400 Golf's in UK for software update

Updated: 7400 UK Volkswagen Golfs to get software update | Autocar (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/updated-7400-uk-volkswagen-golfs-get-software-update)

GMNI2021
14-01-2021, 05:50 PM
So took my Golf back to dealer today 3 weeks to the day after getting it, issues I have been having are:

Keyless Entry - goes to sleep
Warning lights - travel assist
ACC - Changing speed
ESim - Connection greyed out
CarPlay - Connection intermittent
WeConnect - Has stopped connecting
Heated Seats - go into climate seats greyed
Temperature - changes it’s self

Software version - 1666

Left car at 10 this morning, just picked it up, dealer has said that there is some kind of fault with keyless and it needs a new handle which is on back order(even though it doesn’t work on both sides) explained that it works if car has been running recently, said it’s showing on car as a fault.

Dealer said they were unable to do software update as VW has pulled all further updates until they sort out issues with current versions.

When I said to dealer that there is a lot of common problems being discussed online and similar faults to mine dealer said to not bother reading these forums as the “people” don’t know what they are talking about!!!

So after 6 hours at dealer they have washed my car! No other work carried out!!! Not very happy!!!

Crasher
14-01-2021, 06:35 PM
And what still annoys me is the VW in Germany freely admitted it was being launched with software issues and the dealers were supposed to inform clients and ask them to be patient.

M6TT F
15-01-2021, 08:36 PM
So took my Golf back to dealer today 3 weeks to the day after getting it, issues I have been having are:

Keyless Entry - goes to sleep
Warning lights - travel assist
ACC - Changing speed
ESim - Connection greyed out
CarPlay - Connection intermittent
WeConnect - Has stopped connecting
Heated Seats - go into climate seats greyed
Temperature - changes it’s self

Software version - 1666

Left car at 10 this morning, just picked it up, dealer has said that there is some kind of fault with keyless and it needs a new handle which is on back order(even though it doesn’t work on both sides) explained that it works if car has been running recently, said it’s showing on car as a fault.

Dealer said they were unable to do software update as VW has pulled all further updates until they sort out issues with current versions.

When I said to dealer that there is a lot of common problems being discussed online and similar faults to mine dealer said to not bother reading these forums as the “people” don’t know what they are talking about!!!

So after 6 hours at dealer they have washed my car! No other work carried out!!! Not very happy!!!

That’s interesting. Mine was in today for the lazy keyless issue. They have carried out the software update. I did get a limited front systems warning on the way home though

GMNI2021
16-01-2021, 12:41 AM
I take it that has solved the problem? I thought that would fix it, so much for the dealer saying all updates have been pulled 🤬

M6TT F
16-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Yes, keyless now works as it should. The main software number is still 1666, so I’m guessing it was a specific update that was done

Handydave
16-01-2021, 10:59 AM

This chimes with my experience. Car went in to dealer with repeated travel assist ‘dinging’ warnings. They did the big software update but that didn’t fix the dinging so they ordered a new steering wheel and loom. That was fitted earlier this week and dealer says it is successful, BUT, they’ve had a bulletin from VW HQ about issues with the software update that was installed and he wants to hang on to the car until he finds out more. No problem as they’ve given us the same model for a courtesy car.

GMNI2021
16-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Funny my dealer said they weren’t allowed to give me a courtesy car because of COVID!!!

jmagee
16-01-2021, 01:08 PM
They can give you one it's just more of a challenge for them. They need properly cleaning after use/ to not be used for a few days. Think they're avoiding using them where they can especially for shorter periods of time.

MrShteeeve
17-01-2021, 04:08 PM
My GTI DSG I collected 19 Dec 20 is going in on Thursday for;

Keyless Entry – Sporadic in working, sometimes you walk up to the car and it opens automatically without putting your hand in the door handle as intended (oddly it has a higher chance to automatically open when approaching from the rear. 50/50 on whether it opens the car when you put your hand in the door handle. Button on door handle doesn’t always work to lock it either, have reverted to using the key fob for the most part as naturally it works every time. Wondered whether linked to parking sensor detection like keyless boot opening is.
· NSF Heated Seat – Turns on fine, but then will randomly turn on and off when partner is sat in the seat. After a little time trying to replicate the problem, it seems to be a sensor in the seat that doesn’t seem to register someone is actually sat in the seat (weight?), minor but a little frustrating nonetheless
· WeConnect (Primary User) – Never had any joy with this since we collected. Had created a new account and followed the process to add the Golf to the account. Have ‘Purchased’ the 3Yrs services and logged-in in the car, but cannot become a ‘Primary User’ it will allow me to select the text on the menu where this setting is, but nothing happens, I’ve been at it from every angle I can see and haven’t been able to get it working at all. Same goes for selecting privacy settings in the same sub-menu, doesn’t let me select. Tried numerous ‘fixes’ for this as noted on this thread to no avail.
· Parking Brake – Only happened a couple of times, but even with the Driver Seatbelt on it won’t automatically release when pulling away from stationary (with auto-hold enabled), it comes up with the dash message saying please release parking brake etc.

Sounds like most of these are what is being experienced by everyone else. Will be interesting to see where local centre gets to with it...

jamie_1
19-01-2021, 03:06 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll tell you the steering wheel and loom needs to be replaced. (They're on back order....)You were correct - just had a call to say the steering wheel and airbag wiring needs to be replaced. Estimated arrival from Germany is 28th. They are keeping the car until then. Courtesy car is a Polo which I kindly asked if I could swap, luckily enough they have another Gold 8 I can borrow until mine is fixed.

Pinocchio
19-01-2021, 06:28 PM
I must have been lucky with my MK8, it's a wk 8 2020 and only issues i have had is recall for SOS update which didn't give me any issues and the infotainment screen freezing up once.

jamie_1
22-01-2021, 10:26 AM
Picked mine up from the dealer after having a software update (mentioned in one of my above posts) and the travel assist unavailable dinging has been relentless - 12 times in 30 seconds was my personal best (previously done it once every few journeys). Going back to the dealer next week - said they need the car for a few days as it may be a wiring issue.

Although I'm sure they are aware it's a wider issue!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using TapatalkQuick update - steering wheel and airbag wiring needed replacing, dealer advised approx. 8 days wait for the parts from Germany.

Dropped car off, 2 days later had a call saying work is complete. Only driven 15 miles but no annoying dinging so far!

Perhaps they found a 'donor' car knocking around somewhere.

GMNI2021
22-01-2021, 10:56 AM
Has anybody been having issues with ACC? The last week or so when I turn mine on regardless of the speed I’m travelling it changes the speed to 37mph every 30 seconds or so. Quite dangerous!!! After a couple of seconds it will go back up to the original speed. Always goes to 37! So you are driving and it sticks the brakes on!!!

Car is going back into dealer on Tuesday for new door handle (they think this will fix keyless issues but I’m not so sure) and hopefully software update.

I can’t wait as I am having so many issues, dealer has agreed to give me another car as they said they have done software updates on a couple of other golfs and it took 8 hours!!! I’m on version 1666.

m4ttv
22-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Has anybody been having issues with ACC? The last week or so when I turn mine on regardless of the speed I’m travelling it changes the speed to 37mph every 30 seconds or so. Quite dangerous!!! After a couple of seconds it will go back up to the original speed. Always goes to 37! So you are driving and it sticks the brakes on!!!

Car is going back into dealer on Tuesday for new door handle (they think this will fix keyless issues but I’m not so sure) and hopefully software update.

I can’t wait as I am having so many issues, dealer has agreed to give me another car as they said they have done software updates on a couple of other golfs and it took 8 hours!!! I’m on version 1666.

Yes, same issue I have except mine usually does it at 44 rather than 37.
44 = 70kmph, 37 = 60kmph . See my post on this thread - Re: Golf Mk8 - eSIM Losing Connection to VW (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196439-Golf-Mk8-eSIM-Losing-Connection-to-VW-Servers/page6#) Servers – 18-01-2021,04:22 PM , about when it occurs. On my 2nd car because of it, same issue on the new one (build week 41 and 1664). Booked back in to the garage on Monday.

jmagee
22-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Does it think you're entering a different speed limit or is it picking up a 60 sign but set to km/h rather than mph?

m4ttv
22-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Does it think you're entering a different speed limit or is it picking up a 60 sign but set to km/h rather than mph?

Once the car has done its failure sequence it thinks it is running as right hand drive and in kmph, so once it detects a speed limit it goes to the equivalent in kmph. So if it sees a sign, or picks up from map data that it is a 70 it slows to 44, and if 60 slows to 37.

Handydave
22-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Like jamie_1, I’ve just had our eTSI Style back from the dealer. They replaced the steering wheel and loom which has cured the related ‘dinging’ caused by the Emergency Assist / Travel Assist not available fault.
The worksheet shows they have also applied software update E42 and the software is now at 1668.
However, they have said it will need another update to cure the intermittent fault where it loses connection to VW Servers. They’ll let me know when it’s available.....

SophieC
22-01-2021, 05:52 PM
My Golf 8 eTsi (dsg) has been showing all similar software issues; SOS warning take to workshop, front sensor not available, parking brake not engaged etc. I also had the very strange right side interior back light turning itself on and off. I was blaming the kids for leaving the light on, but no, it is a fault.
I took the golf to VW and they updated the software and changed the light fitting. Golf back within 48 hours. No warnings on the 30min drive home, hope that has sorted the problems!

GMNI2021
27-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Got my car back from dealer yesterday. They said they replaced the keyless component and carried out software upgrade.

Keyless issues seems fixed. Wasn’t really in the car long enough to check if any of the other software problems have been resolved. Did notice that I was running software 1666 and this is still showing as 1666 on the systems info page after they said they have updated.

Should this not have changed to a different number????

johnsimcox
27-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Think the software version refers to the infotainment software only. Therefore if they have updated software for other systems it would not show as an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMNI2021
27-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that! I hope so, have had so much bother with mine that my blood boiled when I saw the version was still at 1666 after I left dealer!

GLX
29-01-2021, 07:38 PM
Had mine in for software update. They seem to have logged in as guest user and, whenever I try to log in to my account I just get a screen saying ‘please wait...’ and nothing happens. Anyone else had this?

Handydave
29-01-2021, 07:41 PM
Make sure your privacy setting (when in guest mode) is set to the least restrictive - ie Share My Position. The globe on the top right of the infotainment screen should be white, not greyed out.

GLX
29-01-2021, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the tip, though it seems I cannot currently change the privacy setting as the car has lost connection with the server!

Dealer claimed the software update has fixed the broken travel assist, we’ll see. Suspect I’ll be in for a new steering wheel before too long.

arturob
02-02-2021, 09:53 AM
Had my Mk8 since November and must admit whilst I like driving the car I have come to hate the electronics. Yesterday the Sat Nav was out yesterday morning when I started up - a light blue screen. I left it for 30 mins whilst I went into a shop and when I re started the car it back on but in a two tone brown colour with little detail. I Contacted two local dealers with one saying the sat nav needed reinstalling and the other one telling to hold down the power button on the infotainment for 30 secs (did not work) -- I found factory reset on the settings and tried that but not sure that did but it did not cure the sat nav ! -- anyone else had this sort of issue with the 8 ?

Tricky tree
03-02-2021, 11:24 PM
The touchscreen on my Mk8 Gti went blank but the dealership sorted it out and it's been fine since. This was 2 weeks ago and I was told that a software update had been applied even though the version is showing as 1664 rather than a later version. Mine is currently back at the dealership waiting for a new steering wheel to solve the barrage of error messages. I'm picking up a courtesy car on Friday.

Tricky tree
05-02-2021, 12:30 PM
No news on how long it's going to take for the dealers to get hold of a new steering wheel, but at least I have a courtesy car. It's another Mk8 and on the way back from the garage I got one error message advising that travel assist is restricted and the touchscreen isn't working properly in that I can't change the radio station or alter the temperature. Whoever signed off the Mk8 should be condemned to drive one for ever!

GMNI2021
06-02-2021, 01:29 AM
Same here, I got about 30 seconds away from the dealer in the courtesy car and it started pinging!!!

Tricky tree
06-02-2021, 04:17 PM
Mine too! Traffic assist warning followed by another one! The courtesy car is a Mk8 in Life trim and has proper buttons on the steering wheel unlike mine which has "virtual buttons" Not sure what effect a new wheel will have as with a different design it still pings!

Crasher
06-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Whoever signed off the Mk8 should be condemned to drive one for ever!

Volkswagen Germany were very open about the software issues that they knew full well were going to cause all sorts of problems but they were committed to production. It is an extraordinarily complex story but in simple terms they had ordered all the parts for Golf 8 (including all the other models and brands the platform underpins) and could not continue to build the Golf 7. The dealers were supposed to tell customers it would be a problem but I have not found anyone who was told, I understand why but it was wrong to do it.

Pinocchio
09-02-2021, 09:32 PM
My Mk8 is due for it's first service next month and was informed there was a software recall on car. They told me it was a big update and would take 6 to 7 hours. I have only had a couple of issues with car since i got it but nothing like some of the issues people are saying they have had. Car is a wk8 2020.

jmagee
09-02-2021, 10:06 PM
My Mk8 is due for it's first service next month and was informed there was a software recall on car. They told me it was a big update and would take 6 to 7 hours. I have only had a couple of issues with car since i got it but nothing like some of the issues people are saying they have had. Car is a wk8 2020.I'd be tempted to refuse the update.

Tricky tree
01-03-2021, 06:11 PM
Had a new steering wheel fitted 3 weeks ago and software updated again. Still same old error messages and parking sensors offline. Where to from here, VW?

michaelm713
14-03-2021, 12:37 AM
I wanted to start a new thread but figured this is probably best.

Anyone know if the golf mk8 will get OTA updates in the same fashion as recently announced for the ID3? I am referring to proper full updates for the car not just for the infortainment. Trying to avoid all those visits to the dealer for a sw update!

My Golf is at the dealers now for the usual travel assist errors and they have simply been asked to drive my car to replicate it despite me providing photo evidence. I know what they will say...'we could not find s fault'

Anyone know if the golf will have full OTA updates?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Massimo2323
14-03-2021, 11:02 AM
So just to put a bit of order in the VW jungle world:aargh4:.
So first off, there can be at least 30 control units in the car depending on the extras installed like side assist , electric seat, Harmon Kardon, ecc.
So all these units have their own software which can be updated only by VW. So as an example my Kessy unit had sw 703 and now after the update from VW it went to 706 which fixed the problems I had with unlocking by hand detection. You need to understand that all these units communicate with the BCM, the infotainment and also with each other and this is where many problems arise. They have rewritten the whole software from scratch with the Golf 8 so unfortunately we have become their beta testers...
Also different cars will have different sets of problems because A) Difective from Factory B) Different Software versions C) Control modules installed based on Optionals, ecc.
Now for the Infotainment Sw version, the workshop will only update to 1668 if the Vin of the car is approved by VW in Erwin. The workshop has to follow by the letter what VW Germany tell them to do because the warranty work is paid by VW to those workshops.
If you want to see the information of your car , like what modules you have and their software versions you can use Obd11 or Vcds. Make a scan of the electronic system of the car before and after updates applied by VW and you will know.
The Golf 8 update system is not like the ID3 unfortunately so only minor fixes in the infotainment can be done online. For the big updates only the VW workshops are authorised to do them.
For the Travel assist errors , the steering wheel swap solves most of the problems and some others with software updates.
About the Infotainment Updates: for those on software 16xx the latest is 1668 but a newer 1670 will be available soon.
For the 1778 with 816D Pro / 820D Media a newer 1803 is on the horizon so I heard :)
P.S. anyone with Golf 8 Gti who has a scan , I would like a copy without the vin, Thanks. I love that heartbeat effect on the Ignition button ;)

Handydave
14-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Fantastic explanation. Thanks Massimo2323

michaelm713
14-03-2021, 01:41 PM
Indeed...thanks Massimo2323

Wonderful explanation and could not have had a better one from VW directly!

Not sure it does make me feel better however. The senior sales manager talked to me yesterday and he was rather great about it all and he is happy to help out with the rejection however I don't think a refund is an option. Most likely start a new deal with VW on another model. I like the Id.3 but I reckon that is asking for the same trouble!

Crasher
14-03-2021, 01:46 PM
VW SHOULD be explaining it, if they kept people up-to date on a few forums (how difficult can that be?) and if VW UK were as up front about it as VW AG have been in Germany, people would be a lot less confused and frustrated. It still annoys me that VW UK were told to be open about the problems an owner will have but swear ignorance!

Massimo2323
14-03-2021, 02:10 PM
VW SHOULD be explaining it, if they kept people up-to date on a few forums (how difficult can that be?) and if VW UK were as up front about it as VW AG have been in Germany, people would be a lot less confused and frustrated. It still annoys me that VW UK were told to be open about the problems an owner will have but swear ignorance!
Loads of people having problems with their Golf 8 in France, Germany and Italy especially software related.
Even here in Ireland the workshops are booked for months.. they need more mechanics..
This lockdown doesnt help. I have the reverse camera video flickering and wireless carplay problems…
Also the car’s wifi 5G is not working only 2.4 same thing in hotspot mode.. they are scratching there heads…
I know what the problem is … from factory the wifi 5Ghz was disabled for some Strange reason , checked other Golf 8 and it seems some have it enabled and others disabled..
I love the car … if they sort out these 2 problems i have then i will be happy.;)
And remember Seat Mk4 and Skoda Octavia use similar control units and software …

Crasher
14-03-2021, 02:41 PM
You have touched on an interesting subject there; mechanics. When I started semi professionally in 1982 and full on from 84, I just learnt about oily bits, welding, trim etc, my first car didn’t even contain a transistor until a radio was fitted. I had to learn electrickery the hard way as with everything else, self taught but these mostly young lads they call technicians these days, they simply can’t do old school mechanics as well as being software, data security, electronics, radar, Lidar, and telematic system experts; and it is going to get much worse. Add to that this snowfake [sic] generation don’t want to work in a garage, this trade may have to split into specialist sections like panel and paint has done over the years. I can cope (just) because I actually enjoy it plus I simply have to, the buck ends with me.

Handydave
14-03-2021, 04:56 PM
Loads of people having problems with their Golf 8 in France, Germany and Italy especially software related. I have the reverse camera video flickering and wireless carplay problems… …
@Massimo2323 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=266349) - our reverse camera image is very grainy for the first few seconds and then stabilises. So I’ve started a new thread on this Grainy / Flickering Image on Rear View Camera (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/197457-Grainy-Flickering-Image-on-Rear-View-Camera?p=1130878#post1130878). Any insights appreciated there!

Tommieboi92
18-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Has anyone had problems with the a acc being unavailable and the front assist activating the brakes for no reason and the latest one I’ve got is travel assist unavailable on my golf 8 only had it 3 months

Handydave
18-03-2021, 09:40 AM
Re your Travel Assist problem, the issue is covered in this thread:
Intermittant fault (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196489-Intermittant-fault)
See post#37 and the following ones for the solution.

daveh100
18-03-2021, 09:22 PM
I've had the front assist come on for no reason along with lane assist issues(turning car towards ditches and a traffic island). Car is still with VW no updates after roughly 2.5 weeks.

Pinocchio
18-03-2021, 10:34 PM
Car went in for first service and software update today. Picked up car and was told software update couldn't be done as some new interface needs to be fitted first. Bearing in mind, i have had very few issues with this car since new so asked why new interface was needed. Service department couldn't give me an answer,so will see what happens when it goes back in. The mystery deepens as i thought all the mk8's needed was a software update,now it transpires it includes a new interface.

Crasher
19-03-2021, 10:44 AM
And the government is pushing for us to have self driving cars... well they can go and do one!

Ingram
21-03-2021, 07:56 PM
I have had my mk8 golf since end of August.....and it's a motability car.....so many issues with infotainment system they replaced it.....still having issues .....but major issue is with acc.....set to 70mph....this is when I can accitvate it....suddenly with no explanation IE.....no change to speed limit or car in front speed will suddenly drop to 44mph them speed up to 70mph only way I can stop this is to deactivate or turn engine off completely....i have almost caused 3 accidents and because of my disability stopping suddenly is painful.....I got this car and paid upfront payment for reliability and futures non of which I am getting

djangophi
22-03-2021, 10:36 AM
took mine in last week. For the same thing... Software update and the new interface. However I'm STILL getting the warnings and dings going off. Getting seriously ****** off at this car. I've booked it in again for them to look at later this week, I guarantee that they'll take a look and say they found nothing wrong with it and nothing will get fixed.

michaelm713
22-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Ingram I would seriously consider reporting this to the DVLA if you are in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

It has not happened to me as I rarely use that feature but I heard others having the same issue. Essentially the car thinks you are in Europe and drops the 70mph to 70 kmh. This is a serious issue and falls under the 'serious defect ' definition according to DVLA. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/7d4fcf29ea9a846ffb52d2565cd0dab0.jpg

Handydave
22-03-2021, 01:50 PM
took mine in last week. For the same thing... Software update and the new interface. However I'm STILL getting the warnings and dings going off. Getting seriously ****** off at this car. I've booked it in again for them to look at later this week, I guarantee that they'll take a look and say they found nothing wrong with it and nothing will get fixed.

Are the notifications / dings warning that Travel Assist is not available? If so, the dealer will need to fit a new steering wheel and associated loom as well as the software update.

djangophi
22-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Are the notifications / dings warning that Travel Assist is not available? If so, the dealer will need to fit a new steering wheel and associated loom as well as the software update.

Travel Assist and Emergency assist as well.

Handydave
22-03-2021, 01:56 PM
Right - that was exactly the same as ours. The dealer updated the software to 1668 and replaced the steering wheel and associated loom. That was at the start of January and it’s been perfect ever since.

michaelm713
22-03-2021, 02:07 PM
Handydave not always as straightforward as that. The steering wheel replacement and everything else VW needs to do, need to be approved by VW for your VIN. It was explained here earlier by Massimo2323 I believe.

Even if the engineer knows what the issue is, they have to get approval for your specific car. Its not like a Windows Update thing where you just plug it in and Downloads new updates. More involved than that.

Mine is in for the same issues, dealership have been driving it every day and they cannot replicate. They fixed the eSIM issue but nothing beyond that.

Who knows how VW works.

djangophi
22-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Did they replace it with the same type of steering wheel? as I really don't fancy the capacitive touch one

Handydave
22-03-2021, 02:42 PM
If you've got Travel Assist you've got the wheel with the capacitive rim. It detects that your hand is on the wheel so you're not driving hands free.

If you mean the capactive touch buttons - no, the new wheel has physical buttons that you press.

airforced
22-03-2021, 03:56 PM
If you've got Travel Assist you've got the wheel with the capacitive rim. It detects that your hand is on the wheel so you're not driving hands free.

If you mean the capactive touch buttons - no, the new wheel has physical buttons that you press.

I'm a bit confused (easily done) with that explanation. I can''t figure out what the physical difference (something you can see and identify which steering wheel you have got) between the old steering wheel and the new are. I do have travel assist which has autominously braked the car once and I had a ping a few days ago telling me that travel assist was unavailable. I don't understand the 'buttons that you press' bit I thought they all had buttons you can press. My car came to the UK early on but was used as a demonstrator by the dealership so I don't know what it may have had during the few months it was with them prior to me buying it.

Touch wood I have been spared most of the horrors described on the forum apart from those mentioned here but I have done only a few hundred miles in it so far.

Handydave
22-03-2021, 04:00 PM
Some models have capacitive buttons on the steering wheel which you touch, rather than press.

airforced
22-03-2021, 04:16 PM
Some models have capacitive buttons on the steering wheel which you touch, rather than press.

My steering wheel has buttons you press but was registered in the UK in June 2020. Does that mean that it has had the steering wheel changed do you think or is this irrelevant? Is there any way, as a pure layman without access to any diagnostics, I can identify what, if anything, it has had done to it?

Handydave
22-03-2021, 04:40 PM
airforced - is your car a Style model with Travel Assist?

airforced
22-03-2021, 04:45 PM
Yes it is.

Handydave
22-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Ok - some models with Travel Assist that were built before July 2020 may have a fault where there are repeated notifications / dings saying that Travel Assist / Emergency Assist is not available.
The fix for this (which was first rolled out in or around December 2020) is for a VW dealer to replace the steering wheel and associated loom and update the software to 1668.

airforced
22-03-2021, 04:57 PM
I'll need to mention this when it goes in for service then. Do you know if these things are stored and will be seen by the dealer when they plug their diagnostic machine in or will there be nothing in the memory about these faults?

Handydave
22-03-2021, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if the faults are stored. With our car, the service manager took it on a test drive to confirm there were repeated notifications / dings for Travel Assist not available. Once this was confirmed, VW HQ authorised the replacement steering wheel.

airforced
22-03-2021, 07:40 PM
Thanks Handydave. I'll watch out for other posts which talk about this to see if anyone else is aware but will certainly ask about it when it goes in for service.

michaelm713
23-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Handydave I took my car back as the dealer was driving it around without the ability to replicate the travel assist issues.

However I don't understand the logic in this. I had already supplied photos of the issue happening and a dated log so I don't see why they need to drive it till it's replicated.

I love the car but hate the support. Anyway...25 mile drive home yesterday with no issues so long may it continue!

Handydave
23-03-2021, 07:44 PM
It's very disappointing when the fault doesn't appear when it's with the dealer. If it reoccurs you will have to be persistent. In our case, the repeated dinging was so bad the service manager quickly saw the problem and was very keen to get it sorted.

michaelm713
23-03-2021, 10:27 PM
It's very disappointing when the fault doesn't appear when it's with the dealer. If it reoccurs you will have to be persistent. In our case, the repeated dinging was so bad the service manager quickly saw the problem and was very keen to get it sorted.Yes it is indeed very disappointing. I work in IT as well and I understand the value of replicating issues in different environments but driving a car....is only one environment as far as I can tell. Parameters rarely change and we have all done it for years so we are all experts!!!

Ingram
24-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Car in to dealer again ......all same issues parking sensors...acc ....etc etc .....orderd 2nd replacement infotainment system....on plus side fixed my headlights .....I can actually see more than 10 feet ahead on low beam

Tommieboi92
28-03-2021, 10:49 AM
Quick question on the golf 8 does anyone else’s engine has a loud ish ticking noise when idle

brobi84
12-04-2021, 12:31 PM
My car just received the 1668 infotainment upgrade. The previous was 1666. I had various issues with that. The most annoying issue was that the infotainment system got frozen during drive and navigation and restarted after 5-10 minutes. Also had many incorrect warning like:
-12V system unavailable
-Parking brake error, visit service workshop
-ACC limited availability
-SOS not available
-Travel assist not available
-Keyless entry is not working in 90% of the cases

but the las one was: rear side light are not available. I checked them visually while the message appeared but there was no issue with that. One day after this issue I received an email from the service that they saw the reported issue and arranged an appointment with me. It lasted 1 day (8 hours). I really like the proactive actions and like the idea that a person is checking the automatically reported issues but I dislike that the service was not able to give me a courtesy car for that day I left my car in the service. They told me that I am not eligible for that service but I can rent a car from a car rental partner next to the service...

The keyless entry issue seems to be hardware related, the door latch reported failure. I will get a new one in some days (need to be polished first)

I hope the issues (or at least some of them) will be fixed with the 1668 upgrade, will update you with my findings and looking forward for your experiences.

johnsimcox
12-04-2021, 01:26 PM
My car just received the 1668 infotainment upgrade. The previous was 1666. I had various issues with that. The most annoying issue was that the infotainment system got frozen during drive and navigation and restarted after 5-10 minutes. Also had many incorrect warning like:
-12V system unavailable
-Parking brake error, visit service workshop
-ACC limited availability
-SOS not available
-Travel assist not available
-Keyless entry is not working in 90% of the cases

but the las one was: rear side light are not available. I checked them visually while the message appeared but there was no issue with that. One day after this issue I received an email from the service that they saw the reported issue and arranged an appointment with me. It lasted 1 day (8 hours). I really like the proactive actions and like the idea that a person is checking the automatically reported issues but I dislike that the service was not able to give me a courtesy car for that day I left my car in the service. They told me that I am not eligible for that service but I can rent a car from a car rental partner next to the service...

The keyless entry issue seems to be hardware related, the door latch reported failure. I will get a new one in some days (need to be polished first)

I hope the issues (or at least some of them) will be fixed with the 1668 upgrade, will update you with my findings and looking forward for your experiences.
Courtesy car entitlement varies from country to country and what the importer/dealer wants to put in place. Here in the UK you will generally get a courtesy car if the car is in for warranty work, especially in the first year as well as being able to request one for when cars are being serviced etc. Issue is always that in order to get a courtesy car you need to book well in advance as garages do not have an unlimited number. Not sure about the VW coverage (not looked at the terms) but cetainly for Audi if the car breaks down during the 3 yearswhere roadside assistance is provided (1 year for VW) and the car cannot be fixed and no courtesy car is available then you can hire a car for a short period of time, if only to allow you to complwte your journey

Pinocchio
12-04-2021, 03:09 PM
Car goes into dealer tomorrow for some new interface and software update. I have had very few issues compared to some on here, but last week ,the dash was lit up
with allsorts of errors ans warning lights. Hope this gets things sorted as my wife refuses to drive the car until these issues are resolved.

brobi84
19-04-2021, 10:11 AM
well...

The car went back last Wednesday to replace the door handle. After an hour I got back my car but the keyless entry was still not working. So I gave back the car again and mentioned the infotainment issues that I had during the last days, after upgraded from 1666 to 1668 (radio not available, background services are not available). It is very annoying that after replacing a part the in service they have not tested the function before giving me back the car.

The car is still in the service workshop. They informed me that the keyless entry was solved finally with a software upgrade, thanks to Massimo2323 (https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php/266349-Massimo2323) :
Golf 8 Software Updates - Page 6 (https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/196097-Golf-8-Software-Updates?p=1128764#post1128764)

Regarding the infotainment issues: they were able to reproduce the issues, a new infotainment system is ordered and will be replaced today. I am very curious about and hope the quality of the part replacement will be professional.

Still no courtesy car, but the car is in the workshop for 5 days now...

Cheezy113
19-04-2021, 10:18 AM
It will be interesting to see which unit you get fitted... There are two versions... One was for cars built before build week 48 in 2020, one for cars after that. The newer version seems much more stable..

brobi84
19-04-2021, 11:31 AM
My MK8 was delivered with 5H0035816C in last December (built early November). The only acceptable option is 5H0035816D for me :)
We will see how it goes

Massimo2323
19-04-2021, 08:11 PM
They are different hardware with different software. Yours has the 16xx sw while the 816D has the 17xx-18xx software. Also the infotainment unit wasn't the only thing changed with build week 48.
They would have to change the different control units also. I know of 5 units that have changed: Front Assist, Side Assist, Gateway, Park Assist, Online connectivity unit.

Cheezy113
19-04-2021, 08:35 PM
That's interesting. Do you know the hardware versions of those controllers?

Also, do you have any idea why bw48 brought these changes? It's not a MY change over. Why did they do it?

brobi84
22-04-2021, 12:43 PM
So... replaced the MMI unit to another 816C but the software on that is 1666 again, they are not allowed to replace this to 816D.
The keyless entry issue came back, also produced issues at the service workshop. They suggested to collect again the diagnostic logs and get some help from the engineering but it needs some days again...
After 5 days I had to get back my car so we agreed to test it for a few weeks and when they will have an available courtesy car then we can do a second round with that issue. I will let you know how it goes. My hope is at least the infotainment issues are fixed with the replaced part.

Handydave
30-04-2021, 08:26 PM
For those on software 1664 / 1666 / 1668 there are reports that a new update 1670 is available.

This can only be done by a dealer and they will not do the update unless the car has software problems.

As mine is exhibiting no faults on 1668 I'll be happy to stick with that.

Handydave
04-05-2021, 07:10 PM
Checked my map version today and it’s now on 21.3. Last time I looked (beginning of April) it was on 21.2. Funny thing is, it hasn’t notified me of any software updates available for download in that time and it hasn’t been anywhere near a dealer.

Wonder if it updates map software autonomously?

DanielKav
05-05-2021, 11:38 PM
My Golf 8 eTsi (dsg) has been showing all similar software issues; SOS warning take to workshop, front sensor not available, parking brake not engaged etc. I also had the very strange right side interior back light turning itself on and off. I was blaming the kids for leaving the light on, but no, it is a fault.
I took the golf to VW and they updated the software and changed the light fitting. Golf back within 48 hours. No warnings on the 30min drive home, hope that has sorted the problems!

The back light pulsing on and off is happening me too! I thought I was going insane! When you brought it in and they changed the fitting was it okay after that?

I’ve been scouring forums trying to find someone with the same issue.

SophieC
06-05-2021, 11:48 AM
The light was fine after they changed the fitting, yes. I think we aren't the only ones with this problem on the golf 8, and the dealer changed it straight away no queries.

Amren
17-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Hello!
Just bought my first VW Golf Model 8, produced jan 2020….
I have problem with Voice control…..I get no problem to make a phonecall, but when I tray make Navigation “Navigate me to xxx”, the system all the time understand it as I want to make phoncall and cant find the number!!..
I don’t know if I do some mistakes with the settings..all suggestion for a solution is welcome…
THANKS IN ADVANCE..

bfr
01-06-2021, 09:52 AM
After a quiet spell following the last attempt at fixing the issue it seems the 'travel assist not available' dings are back. Although it seems slightly sporadic (e.g. drove to the gym yesterday and it went off at least 30 times in 6 miles, but only about once doing the return journey). Not exactly thrilled either that the earliest they can get it in for another look is 2 weeks away.

airforced
01-06-2021, 04:19 PM
Hello Amren - In response to your question there have been problems with the voice control reported on here and elsewhere. Suggest you speak to your dealer as the answer might be a software update. I had the same problem as you and it seems to have been fixed (fingers crossed) with an update via the dealer. Mine was built earlier than yours and the software was upgraded from 1666 to 1668 if that helps at all. I haven't used it much since the update so am not sure if other problems have been rectified by the update yet but the voice control seems to be okay.

Amren
14-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot for you comments..
My car have been to dealer and upddate of software to Version: 1668...still not solved...but I today got SMS that I need to have another update "97EH"..lets see what that will give...
Again thanks a lot, and I will comment after I got this latest update..

Cheezy113
14-06-2021, 09:21 AM
Anyone got any idea what "97eh" might be? Upgrade to which software component?

Amren
15-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Thanks a lot for you comments..
My car have been to dealer and upddate of software to Version: 1668...still not solved...but I today got SMS that I need to have another update "97EH"..lets see what that will give...
Again thanks a lot, and I will comment after I got this latest update..

Today I was informed that update "97EH" was included in update "1668" which I already have made....
After that I have not noticed any changes or new problem....and that's good..

ZumaSparkAvalon
19-06-2021, 01:05 PM
For info, here are the version details of my new Alltrack which rolled off the line on about 26 May:

Device part number: 5H0035820D
Hardware: H56
Software: 1803
Display unit/control panel hardware: H47
Display unit/control panel software: 2092
Navigation database: 21.5
Radio database: 1.30.24

No updates since I collected the car on Wednesday last week (16th June).

In general the car is pretty functional with only some minor glitches.

My main annoyance is the inability to switch off the Lane Assist function as I hate the way it keeps regularly grabbing the steering whenever and wherever it fancies - narrow country roads are the worst. I really cannot feel that it is a safety aid in nearly all cases, and really should default to off most of the time.

airforced
08-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Hello Amren - In response to your question there have been problems with the voice control reported on here and elsewhere. Suggest you speak to your dealer as the answer might be a software update. I had the same problem as you and it seems to have been fixed (fingers crossed) with an update via the dealer. Mine was built earlier than yours and the software was upgraded from 1666 to 1668 if that helps at all. I haven't used it much since the update so am not sure if other problems have been rectified by the update yet but the voice control seems to be okay.

Spoke too soon I'm afraid. Voice control started playing up again and after a further stay at the Dealers it is now waiting for a new steering wheel which is to be fitted 2 Aug. Fingers crossed!

koolmacher
09-09-2021, 12:00 PM
My car had its first over the air automatic update yesterday promising error fixes and performance improvements but it didn't say what to and all the software version numbers are the same i e still on 1664

airforced
09-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Spoke too soon I'm afraid. Voice control started playing up again and after a further stay at the Dealers it is now waiting for a new steering wheel which is to be fitted 2 Aug. Fingers crossed!

Had the new steering wheel and an airbag loom fitted and, fingers crossed, all seems well so far. Still not tried the ACC but I'm not going to as I don't believe in cars doing their own thing. I believe cars should be driven by drivers. Unfashionable I know!

airforced
09-09-2021, 06:13 PM
My car had its first over the air automatic update yesterday promising error fixes and performance improvements but it didn't say what to and all the software version numbers are the same i e still on 1664

OTA software updates are always minor updates so unless you notice any differences you will never know what they have done. Major updates which affect the version numbers are all done at the dealers taking 4+ hours.

The latest available software I know the dealers are fitting is 1668 for your model but they will only do it if VW say so and because there have been problems with the existing version. I hope this helps.