PDA

View Full Version : Oops!!

nicky900
13-11-2007, 02:49 PM
I ahould have really explained in my other post why I needed to remove the accelerator pedal. Last Sunday 5 year old daughter asked to help me clean the car. I was surprised as she has never shown any interest before. We had just rinsed the car using a hoze. I came in to get the vacuum cleaner. On coming back outside found daughter hozing the carpets in the car!!!! I grabbed the hoze asked her what she was doing. She explained as she saw mummy wash down a door mat with a hoze this was the way to clean the mats in the car!!!!!!! I am almost tempted to post a pic of her which would explain why I could not admonish her too much. Anyway I am guessing I was gone for 4 mins and she put about 20 litres of water into the car she even managed to do the passenger front mat as well.

Outcome never let angelic daughter assist.

Carpets and under mats are saturated!

The module for the integrated phone is ruined and the connector from the loom is damaged!

[Called VW to check on the price.....wait for it.....£597+VAT]

Do not want to claim on insurance as excess is £250, seems little point as having a recorded fault claim even though protected.

Can anyone suggest ways to properly dry the car, remove accelerator pedal etc.

Also price for the integrated phone module is insane. I took it apart there are only 2 small printed circuit boards!!! The part number is 7L6 035 730, it also has Nokia on the box. Can anyone suggest somewhere I can buy one new or second hand. There is no way I am going to spend £600+

And please feel free to laugh at my expense. My wife has aleady bought me a toy submarine. She thinks it's hysterical especially as I intended to clean her car first, with my daughter!!!

Regards

Nick

kenney
13-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe a stupid question,but do you not have any kind of collective home insuranse,among other things, this covers damage for things (objects) which are brought about by children.This will not affect your NCB

rush
13-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi the best way would be to use a dehumidifier I tried this to great effect

carl s
13-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear your story! Kids do have a way of redeeming themselves even in the daftest of situations!

Regarding the matts you may want to try renting a de-humidifier combined with shampooing the carpets first. (A carpet shampooing machine will suck the water out quite well)

Keeping an eye out on eBay may be your only option for the phone parts.

TimS996
17-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Not laughing as I've had the same problem, not on my Passat, but on my Porsche 911 Cabrio. Believe me it cost a whole lot more to get fixed!!

However, a few tips I picked up as Porsche were ripping me off...

1 - Remove all the carpets from the car.
2 -Remove all wet sound insulation. Not sure how much the passat has in the floor but if this stays wet, it stinks.
3 -If possible, take the seats out. Really aids drying.
4 -As others have said, rent an industrial dehumidifier, stick it in the garage for a couple of days on high.

The risk is that you leave a bit of damp in, cover it over with carpets, - it will stink of damp for weeks.

nicky900
17-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone,

I have a domestic dehumidifier running. So far over about 2 days it has removed about 2 pints of water. I am still struggling to find the VW nokia phone interface 7L6 035 730...... I will not pay £650 from VW. I have looked on Ebay and tried parts gateway etc. Can anyone think of where I might get one. Have also tried Ebay Germany but still no luck?

Regards

Nick