PDA

View Full Version : Blower only works on fastest settings

tatham
13-11-2007, 02:21 PM
1995 Passat 2.0 16v
Hi

The blower for de-misting the windscreen, etc has stopped working on the slowest 2 settings. It works fine if I turn it up to the higher speeds.
Anyone seen this before? Is it likely to be the control knob not making a proper connection, or does the motor have multiple connection points for different speeds?

Thanks

Colin

bora(ing) nick
13-11-2007, 02:24 PM
It's a common failure of the variable resistor found mounted to the fan behind the dash in the passenger footwell.

Not too hard to change IIRC. Hope that helps

Nick

tatham
13-11-2007, 02:32 PM
It's a common failure of the variable resistor found mounted to the fan behind the dash in the passenger footwell.

Thanks Nick.
Presuming it's replaceable, how do I get to it? Will it involve removing the passenger airbag? (Which sounds a bit risky?)

bora(ing) nick
13-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Airbag stays in place....

If you pop your head under the passenger side dash.... remove trim if necessary, and look for the wires entering the fan.... the wires will enter the resistor before the fan.

Nick

tatham
13-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Great, I'll have a look, thanks!

tatham
18-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Ok, managed to get the resistor out fairly easily.
Is it possible to test with a multimeter? I was expecting to see some obvious damage, specially as I occasionally get a water leak dripping on the passenger's feet, but it all looks perfect.
It's marked R40K, R80K (and something else I can't read).
Looks like there's a feed going in, 4 wires coming out, one of which seems to be directly connected to the feed (the blower has 4 speeds, so I guess that corresponds, with the directly connected one giving full speed).

Guess I'll just have to replace it and see ...

Thanks!

Colin

sainte986
18-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I had a similar problem with my old civic, which i think inherited it off Rover, when it was Honda/Rover, i just pulled it out, and there is like insulutation over a ciruliar wire thing, i got a 2nd hand one from the scrappy to check it, and it was and bought a brand new one from Honda at honda prices :(

hope that helps

Is it possible to test with a multimeter? I was expecting to see some obvious damage, specially as I occasionally get a water leak dripping on the passenger's feet, but it all looks perfect.
It's marked R40K, R80K (and something else I can't read).
Looks like there's a feed going in, 4 wires coming out, one of which seems to be directly connected to the feed (the blower has 4 speeds, so I guess that corresponds, with the directly connected one giving full speed).

Guess I'll just have to replace it and see ...

Thanks!

Colin

tatham
20-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Is it possible to test with a multimeter?

Anyone have any thoughts about testing? Dunno how much a new one costs, but I like feeling pretty sure that the old one's knackered before buying a replacement ...

Thanks!
Colin

bora(ing) nick
21-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Anyone have any thoughts about testing? Dunno how much a new one costs, but I like feeling pretty sure that the old one's knackered before buying a replacement ...

Thanks!
Colin

Just measure the resistance between the in coming feed, and each of the outgoing feeds.

From what you have said, only 1 of the wires (full load) should give a decent reading.

The others should be minimal.

Nick

tatham
21-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Just measure the resistance between the in coming feed, and each of the outgoing feeds.

Thanks Nick.
I tried measuring the resistance, and I couldn't get any reading for three of the outgoing feeds, which implied that it's knackered. I just wanted some confirmation that reading the resistance was the right approach, which you've given me, thanks!

I usually buy parts like these at the local VW dealer, anyone got other suggestions?

Thanks
Colin

bora(ing) nick
21-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks Nick.
I tried measuring the resistance, and I couldn't get any reading for three of the outgoing feeds, which implied that it's knackered. I just wanted some confirmation that reading the resistance was the right approach, which you've given me, thanks!

I usually buy parts like these at the local VW dealer, anyone got other suggestions?

Thanks
Colin

Might be worth taking advantage of the forums suppporting companies (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10293).

I believe theres a discount, but not sure how much.

Failing that, you could always try GSF?

Good Luck

Nick

tatham
21-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks Nick.

paet01
24-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi there:
What most manuals will not show you is that there is a small fuseable link built into the resistor device. I discovered that it was blown and soldered a small gauge wire over top of it. Has worked very well ever since!

Tim

lpg boy
13-02-2009, 10:42 PM
mine did the same
stripping out found that the diode looking thing at the end of the resistor block was a fusible link, which was open circuit. I cut the wire in & wire out and replaced it with a 5 amp cartridge fuse soldering in line and then fixing it with a gob of mastic. multi speed fan returned as the fastest speed is direct drive.

paet01
14-02-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you.
The fuse idea is great.

macollin5750
01-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I had the same problem with my passat. its the pollen filter it gets clogged and wont let any air through. just took mine out and it works fine now.