PDA

View Full Version : Warning buzzer (lights on) stopped working

tatham
13-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi
1995 Passat 2.0 16v
The buzzer that warns you that the headlights or parking lights are on when you get out of the car has stopped working. At first I thought it was the door switch, but that still turns the interior lights on and off as it should.
I found quite a few posts in other forums on this site relating to newer models, which indicated that the buzzer is part of the instrument cluster, and therefore difficult/expensive to repair, but I'm hoping the situation is different for an older (1995) Passat?

Thanks!

Colin

kenney
13-11-2007, 03:54 PM
On the 95 model the relay is on the fuse box

tatham
13-11-2007, 04:09 PM
On the 95 model the relay is on the fuse box

Thanks kenney. Do you mean there's a relay that might need replacing, or is the buzzer itself on the fusebox?

Thanks!
Colin

kenney
13-11-2007, 04:25 PM
The buzzer is part of the relay.Another thing that has to do with activating the relay,is something we call S contact,it is a function in the ignition switch,among other things it turns the radio off when you take the key out from the ignition.

tatham
13-11-2007, 04:38 PM
The buzzer is part of the relay.

OK thanks. Just called a dealer and he also confirmed that, but he couldn't help me identify where the relay is located on the fuseboard -- I'd like to have a look at the current one before ordering a replacement, but I don't know which one it is?

kenney
13-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Cant remember location it has usually 36 printed on it, a small relay, cubed shaped (1inch) have a look at location 9

tatham
18-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Cant remember location it has usually 36 printed on it, a small relay, cubed shaped (1inch) have a look at location 9

Yup, think that's correct.
I took it out and opened it up -- all looks fine.
Does it have separate wiring from the door switch, or is the fact that the interior light goes on/off as it should indicate that both the door switch and the wiring are OK for the buzzer to work?
I guess the only solution is to replace the relay and see if that solves it?

Thanks!

Colin

kenney
18-11-2007, 06:30 PM
There Is A Wire From Contact 1 On The Door Switches Which Run To The Relay So The Interior Light Can Work, And At The Same Time The Switch Can Be Defekt.does The Radio Turn Itself Off When You Take Out The Ignition Key?

tatham
18-11-2007, 06:56 PM
There Is A Wire From Contact 1 On The Door Switches Which Run To The Relay So The Interior Light Can Work, And At The Same Time The Switch Can Be Defekt.does The Radio Turn Itself Off When You Take Out The Ignition Key?

The radio stays on when the key is out, but I think it's wired like that? (It's always done that, even when the warning buzzer worked OK.)

kenney
18-11-2007, 07:12 PM
the reason i asked is that,there is a wire runs from the ignition switch to the radio and to the buzzer relay we call it S contact, if there is voltage on this wire with the ignition key removed,then the buzzer will not work,the radio is not connected properly if it does not turn itself off when you remove the key

tatham
20-11-2007, 09:02 PM
the reason i asked is that,there is a wire runs from the ignition switch to the radio and to the buzzer relay we call it S contact, if there is voltage on this wire with the ignition key removed,then the buzzer will not work,the radio is not connected properly if it does not turn itself off when you remove the key

OK thanks kenney. How do you suggest I proceed? Should I locate the S contact wire and see if there's any voltage, or should I look at the radio wiring (or should I just replace the buzzer and see what happens)?
I suspect the wiring's OK (even if the radio isn't connected as it should be) as it was all working perfectly until recently, and then the buzzer started playing up.
Thanks
Colin

tatham
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
should I just replace the buzzer and see what happens?

An update -- I discovered that the buzzer itself works; if I jiggle the key in and out of the ignition with the lights on and the door open, it sometimes comes on as it should. I've also remembered that I had the ignition replaced a while back, so either the new part was faulty, or incorrectly installed. Anyone have any suggestions as to whether it's something I can fix?

Thanks (again)!

Colin

kenney
07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi I think you have done something wrong when you replaced the ignition,i think the electrical part of the ignition switch has been pushed too far in

tatham
15-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi I think you have done something wrong when you replaced the ignition,i think the electrical part of the ignition switch has been pushed too far in

OK (it was done by the local garage) but I'll suggest they look at that.
Thanks kenney!

molgrips
21-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Well b*gger me. I thought there was no buzzer on my car, and the radio was not meant to go off when you turned the car off!

I wired the stereo to the fan switch to make it go off when I turned the car off.....:Blush2: