PDA

View Full Version : B5 v B6

claranet
13-11-2007, 12:34 AM
My new B6 Sport 170 DPF Manual Estate has now covered 1027 miles and tomorrow it is one month old. My old B5 100 S TDi Manual estate is now 4 years old and has 49k my wife now drives this car - she even lets me now and again !

The B5 was and is a damn good car; the lights at the bottom of the doors are an excellent idea and yet the B6 does not have these - why not ?:confused:

The B5's 12v sockets are live without the need for the ignition switched on and yet the B6 needs the ignition on, why?:(

The B5 has an LCD clock permanently displayed; the B6 has to have the igniton on to have the clock displayed - why ?:aargh4:

The B6 is a superb drive and the steering is a delight: the B5 feels a lot heavier.

My B6 goes into the dealer tomorrow for it's free 1000 mile check, it is also having the tyre pressure warning lamp fault fixed - it came on after stalling the car at a junction - my fault, I tried to pull away in 3rd !:o

My dealer tells me that my car is a 2008 spec and there are a few differences not shown in the Manual regarding the Menu i.e Comfort Indicator has nothing to do with comfort but is in fact a facility to turn on/off the lane change indicator function - I have opted to turn it off. our old Focus has this, and I it winds me up if one accidentally knocks the indicator stalk.:zx11:

The B6 Handbrake: I have so far not had any problems with it but I do not know how it doesn't have the 'Auto Hold' function as standard, if you are on a steep hill, the 'Auto Hold' function is such a god send I find like others, the parking brake sometimes does not always disengage but for £65 the option of the 'Auto Hold' especially in heavy traffic is very well worth it:beerchug:

I have to be careful when getting back in the B5 as you can roll !!:Blush2:

Apart from the above the B6 is a stunner, mine is in Shadow blue, the B5 is Reflex Silver and is a real sod to find in Car Parks, every other car around is Silver !!:buttkick:

Regards
claranet

SteadyFreddy
20-02-2008, 09:53 PM
claranet, I have to agree with you in many, many ways. I also still have an older B6 (1.8T, great car).

Having replaced it with a 2.0FSI, I can sum up my feeling simply by saying IMHO it over uses technology in ways that are a backward step.

Take the auto handbrake, it comes on sometimes of its own accord when you least expect it (admittedly at slow speed, so no real harm done there!), it does not come on when you expect it to be on!! And also, sometimes, when it releases it lurches. I pride myself on a smooth drive, and this 'device' takes away my control. A simple mechanical handrake gives you far more control. I'm dreading towing with this 'device' and having to do a hill start :(

Take the dual-mass flywheel, which is supposed to dampen engine vibrations - it seems to have the exact opposite effect when taking off in first gear - what was wrong with a solid bit of flywheel?

FSI technology & 6 gears instead of five??? that's seemingly bought me absolutely no real benifit in terms of improved mpg over my old 1.8T (the VW spec says the FSI should be marginally better, whereas I've found it distincly worse than my old 1.8T)

Otherwise, I do like the xenon lights, especially when they temporarily shine a low level light to your right or left dependant upon which way you turn. And, I also like the simple red downlighters shining down from the overhead cowl above the gear lever.