PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a 1.5 Life

johnsimcox
13-06-2020, 03:56 PM
First post in the Mk8 Forum!! Just purchased a 1.5 130 Life in Black, from the always great to deal with Windrush in Slough, to replace my wife's Mk7 1.4 Match Edition. Should take delivery either at the end of this week or beginning of next. Strange process due to all the lock-down measures, but better safe than sorry. If you are not aware VW currently giving first 3 months of the PCP free, providing car is ordered by 12th July, on top of other incentives. Windrush are anticipating that before long there are going to be real issues with supply of new cars due to the factories having been closed for 3 months or more. At present they are only able to sell existing stock.

Will update with impressions of the car once we take delivery

Handydave
20-06-2020, 06:56 AM
We ordered a 1.5 DSG Style in early March, just before the lockdown. The app has been saying ‘build week confirmed’ since mid-March, but obviously there’s been the factory closure. Dealer can’t give the exact build date. We’re being patient.

Anyway, the one strange thing about the Mk 8 is that the brochure / pricelist doesn’t mention electrically folding mirrors. These were fitted on the Golf Mk 7 and are very useful to check that it’s locked.

When your car arrives, could you please let me know if the mirrors fold automatically on locking?

Many thanks.

ps Pity there’s not more traffic on this sub-forum.

iMZee
20-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Just discovered this sub and also put in an order for the 1.5 manual 150 Style at the start of June! The cars state is 'port of exit released' so hopefully should get it in a week or two :)

iMZee
20-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Having a look online, it seems the mirrors to fold upon locking and unfold when unlocked as shown in this vid Volkswagen Golf 8 Style 2020 - FIRST In-depth review in 4K | Interior - Exterior - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGd-2QZNsmw)

Handydave
20-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Having a look online, it seems the mirrors to fold upon locking and unfold when unlocked as shown in this vid Volkswagen Golf 8 Style 2020 - FIRST In-depth review in 4K | Interior - Exterior - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGd-2QZNsmw)

Thanks IMZee. Hopefully the UK specification will have this too - the video is for the Croatian version.

Good luck with your order - looks to be progressing quickly.

iMZee
20-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Did not know that but yea, hopefully theyre on the UK ones. Theres a lot of mismatched information out there

johnsimcox
20-06-2020, 10:27 PM
When I placed the order last Saturday the sales person, whose current car is a 1.5 eTFSi Style mentioned that there were no folding mirrors when highlighting what was different between my current car and the new one. Presume she would know as she drives one.

Not sure why VW have chosen not to spec this or offer it as an option when other markets have it and it is in the handbook. Something held back for the first facelift maybe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handydave
21-06-2020, 12:03 PM
Well, thanks for confirming. Slightly disappointing but not the end of the world. Sorry to hi-jack your thread....

iMZee
21-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hi-jack your thread....

We need to spark this sub forum somehow. The more conversation the better!

johnsimcox
21-06-2020, 05:44 PM
We need to spark this sub forum somehow. The more conversation the better!
Agree. Very surprised that my post last weekend was the first. No one had posted anything about thoughts etc since the launch. Less than 24 hours until collection!

iMZee
22-06-2020, 11:50 AM
Less than 24 hours until collection!

Keep us updated!

Could you also report back with mpg figures?

johnsimcox
22-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Picked up car as planned and very pleased. Definitely has more “get up and go” than the 1.4 we had before.

In the “Shop” function you can Alexa (done) and it looks,like you can add auto light dipping for no cost as well. Also make sure you phone lead they give you in USB-C. Got given a USB-A one which I will have to get changed

Here are some photos

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/8db6c6d93a558ebf009c3264d536d31d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/994ff7740cc9503c55c725d862f3f333.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200622/f2f78a2ec2a33bf66541419e60c1eea2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iMZee
22-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Looks good in the black. Has a nice blueish purple ting in the sun I wasn't expecting!

Pinocchio
27-06-2020, 09:26 PM
I bought a 1.5 150 Life dsg, ETSi, Lime Yellow the week before the lockdown. This doesn't have the folding mirrors but are available on the dealer options list. I went for the 150 hp as anything lower powered than this doesn't come with independent rear suspension. Interior is a massive difference to the Mk7/7.5, and virtual dials are really good. Took me a couple of weeks to work my way around everything as there re no physical buttons and working your way round the touchscreen takes a while to get used to it. I think the car is brilliant compated to the mk7, quieter, smoother and more refined.To the gentleman who posted about high beam assist, this is free for one month in the shop then you have to pay for it. Folding mirrors come standard on Style editions, but optional extra on Life variants.

Handydave
28-06-2020, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Pinocchio;1121246] Folding mirrors come standard on Style editions, but optional extra on Life variants.

Thanks for clarifying this, Pinocchio. I don’t thinK the original brochure / pricelist made this clear (unless I missed it.....). But I now see there’s a new brochure / pricelist (dated 25 June) which makes clear that the Style has:

Electrically heated, adjustable and foldable door mirrors with memory, including automatic dimming function on driver’s side, door mirror puddle lights and reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s side.

Handydave
28-06-2020, 06:43 PM
Thanks also to Pinocchio and johnsimcox for your helpful comparisons between the 1.5 Mk8 and the previous 1.4 Mk7.

johnsimcox
28-06-2020, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Pinocchio;1121246] Folding mirrors come standard on Style editions, but optional extra on Life variants.

Thanks for clarifying this, Pinocchio. I don’t thinK the original brochure / pricelist made this clear (unless I missed it.....). But I now see there’s a new brochure / pricelist (dated 25 June) which makes clear that the Style has:

Electrically heated, adjustable and foldable door mirrors with memory, including automatic dimming function on driver’s side, door mirror puddle lights and reverse activated kerb-view adjustment on passenger’s side.

I am guessing that the new brochure is for the 2021 model year. In a normal year Audi changes it model builds around Week 20 (mid-May) so VW is probably the same. This year they are probably restarting the factories with new model year. There is another post on here saying folding mirrors would come for my21 so that also tallies. Only issue now is how long it will be before any my21 cars actually appear as production is nowhere near normal levels

johnsimcox
28-06-2020, 10:51 PM
Thanks also to Pinocchio and johnsimcox for your helpful comparisons between the 1.5 Mk8 and the previous 1.4 Mk7.

FYI. The mats for the Mk8 are the same as for the mk7 and 7.5.

Pinocchio
29-06-2020, 08:28 PM
Keep us updated!

Could you also report back with mpg figures?

Running round town, i am getting about 43mpg. Did a 95 mile round trip and car was saying 54mpg, not bad condidering it's not run in. BTW the start stop engages much more readily than my mk7 did,engine cuts out as soon i take my foot off the accelerator.

johnsimcox
29-06-2020, 10:05 PM
The eTsi is a mild hybrid so is able to freewheel with the engine off but essential items such as power steering, brake servo and ac being run by the 48v battery. This is why the eTsi engine can only be had with the DSG gearbox. Have this in my A6 and it seems to work very well

johnsimcox
22-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Full Road Test of 1.5 eTFSi Style in this week's Autocar. Overall very positive and gets 4.5*/5 and is the top car amongst its peers. Not quite sure why in their "recommended spec" they suggest going for the upgraded navigation (c£1600) when all it seems to really add is gesture control.

Handydave
23-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Yes, that was a very positive review from Autocar.

Agree on the dubious value of Discover Navigation Pro. I think it provides voice activation as well as gesture control but, still, hardly worth £1,600. Dynamic Chassis Control at £950 looks a better bet. But hopefully that won’t be needed with the 16” wheels of the Life or the 17” on the Style.

johnsimcox
24-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Yes, that was a very positive review from Autocar.

Agree on the dubious value of Discover Navigation Pro. I think it provides voice activation as well as gesture control but, still, hardly worth £1,600. Dynamic Chassis Control at £950 looks a better bet. But hopefully that won’t be needed with the 16” wheels of the Life or the 17” on the Style.
You do get some voice activation with the standard system. You use the command "Hello Volkswagen" followed by things like "I'm cold"" or Set temperature to 22 degrees"

Handydave
24-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, John. So, as you say, £1,600 just for gesture control seems a bit steep.

iMZee
27-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Does anyone know how to get the total miles the car has done? I can't seem to find it. I can see, short term, long term and since last refuel.

jmagee
27-07-2020, 08:04 PM
Turn off the adaptive cruise to see the mileage? That's where it is in the older one

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

iMZee
27-07-2020, 09:47 PM
After playing around with it a bunch, it only shows up when you turn the ignition off. States the total mileage of the car etc.

jamie_1
28-07-2020, 11:42 AM
You can also find it on the We Connect app and Web portal, too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

djangophi
27-08-2020, 10:07 AM
I'm having the issue with mirrors also.
I'm due to collect my VW Golf 8 eTSI Style on the 1st.
The website states that the style comes with electric folding mirrors but the dealer tells me it doesn't have it.
I'm currently trying to get them to knock some off the agreed price.. My thinking is they charge for extra options so I charge for the omission of them.

johnsimcox
27-08-2020, 10:39 AM
The website states that the style comes with electric folding mirrors but the dealer tells me it doesn't have it.
I'm currently trying to get them to knock some off the agreed price.. My thinking is they charge for extra options so I charge for the omission of them.
Folding mirrors were only introduced ifor the MY2021 version of the Golf which was announced in July. Question toyou is when did you order the car and when you ordered it were you ordering a MY2020 car (ie one that already had a build date and build schedule - possibly even in stock) or was it a factory order for a MY2021 car? Unless you specifically mentioned that you were expecting floding mirrors when you ordered it I doubt very much the dealer will give you anything in way of compensation

djangophi
27-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Folding mirrors were only introduced ifor the MY2021 version of the Golf which was announced in July. Question toyou is when did you order the car and when you ordered it were you ordering a MY2020 car (ie one that already had a build date and build schedule - possibly even in stock) or was it a factory order for a MY2021 car? Unless you specifically mentioned that you were expecting floding mirrors when you ordered it I doubt very much the dealer will give you anything in way of compensation

Thanks for the info.. It was a stock model yes, so it may fall under the criteria you mention. Is there a difference in the price between MY2021 and MY2020? If not then I will still expect a drop in the price I pay, especially as the price is going off of a recent car wow quote which lists the folding mirror as an included option.

johnsimcox
27-08-2020, 11:54 AM
From what I can see both versions start at £28025 OTR so the addition of folding mirrors was "free". It also added Side Assist which was also not an option on the initial versions of the Golf. For the Life the cost of adding these now is £550. I still think it is very unlikely that the dealer will budge on the price agreed as you were aware he was selling you stock vehicle and the liklihood is that to place an order on a new car from Factory would see a very lengthy delay in you getting the car, during which time there could easily be a further price incerese and in the event of no trade deal with the EU being done by the end of the year an immediate hike of 10% due to tariffs,

jmagee
27-08-2020, 11:55 AM
They added folding mirrors and the illuminated grill but took away the upgraded nav system with the MY21 changes so that's why there will be no change in cost.

johnsimcox
27-08-2020, 12:06 PM
They added folding mirrors and the illuminated grill but took away the upgraded nav system with the MY21 changes so that's why there will be no change in cost.

In the 1/5/20 version of the price list I have it make no mention of the Style getting the advanced version of the Navigation

However I have jsut noticed in the 25/6/20 version of the Price List that Side Assist and Travel Assist are only included for Manual versions of the Style and as the OP is buying an 1.5eTFSi it would come with the DSG gearbox so not have these

jmagee
27-08-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm going off what the dealer told me about the changes

djangophi
27-08-2020, 01:37 PM
From what I can see both versions start at £28025 OTR so the addition of folding mirrors was "free". It also added Side Assist which was also not an option on the initial versions of the Golf. For the Life the cost of adding these now is £550. I still think it is very unlikely that the dealer will budge on the price agreed as you were aware he was selling you stock vehicle and the liklihood is that to place an order on a new car from Factory would see a very lengthy delay in you getting the car, during which time there could easily be a further price incerese and in the event of no trade deal with the EU being done by the end of the year an immediate hike of 10% due to tariffs,

Thanks, if they don't discount the price I'll cancel the entire order. I went in with the carwow quote expecting the features listed there, and I was only told about the missing features after the agreement had been made. I'd rather cancel and wait and get as much value for my money as possible.

jmagee
27-08-2020, 02:18 PM
The list of features on carwow is completely fictional!

djangophi
27-08-2020, 02:24 PM
The list of features on carwow is completely fictional!

perhaps, but I checked and they match up with features on the VW configurator.

johnsimcox
27-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Thanks, if they don't discount the price I'll cancel the entire order. I went in with the carwow quote expecting the features listed there, and I was only told about the missing features after the agreement had been made. I'd rather cancel and wait and get as much value for my money as possible.
You run the risk of losing your deposit if you cancel, especially as you are only a matter of days from collecting it. Also no certainty the CarWow prices you mention are actually for a 2021 spec version of the car despite any description of features being shown on the website

jmagee
27-08-2020, 02:43 PM
perhaps, but I checked and they match up with features on the VW configurator.Really? I looked at an R line and the spec list was basically for the MK7. I contacted a dealer to ask and they confirmed it didn't have half of the listed features

Handydave
27-08-2020, 08:18 PM

Folding mirrors were only introduced ifor the MY2021 version of the Golf which was announced in July.

Something strange is going on here. I've researched various versions of the brochure / pricelist (which were downloaded to my computer at time of viewing) and the results are:

effective 05 Mar 20: no mention of electrically folding mirrors
effective 01 Apr 20: no mention of electrically folding mirrors
effective 01 May 20: no mention of electrically folding mirrors
effective 26 Jun 20: for the Style, electrically heated, adjustable and foldable mirrors with memory, auto dimming on drivers' side etc

Our Style was built third week of July, so we were expecting the electrically folding mirrors, but when it turned up last week they weren't fitted - manual fold only. Couldn't really complain as we'd ordered in March.

But the strange thing is, going to the website this evening, the brochure / pricelist has reverted to the 01 Apr 20 version, with no mention of folding mirrors for the Style.

What's going on?

jmagee
27-08-2020, 08:54 PM
That is strange. So they'll fold manually from the knob but not on locking. Hopefully an option to enable via Carista/ vcds.

I hope mine comes with it!

Handydave
27-08-2020, 09:35 PM
No - they fold manually by getting out of the car and folding by hand.
No electric fold.

jmagee
27-08-2020, 09:39 PM
No - they fold manually by getting out of the car and folding by hand.
No electric fold.Ah... Old school. I really won't be happy with that then. Such a step backwards!

Handydave
27-08-2020, 09:55 PM
Yes, disappointing on a £29k car.

djangophi
27-08-2020, 11:54 PM
yeah it is disappointing, the dealer took pity on me in the end and gave me a small discount which is better than nothing I guess. Still though it's a feature I'll miss. I currently have a polo which has electric folding mirrors and blind spot detection which is a feature I'll definitely miss.

johnsimcox
28-08-2020, 08:15 AM
Something strange is going on here. I've researched various versions of the brochure / pricelist (which were downloaded to my computer at time of viewing) and the results are:

effective 26 Jun 20: for the Style, electrically heated, adjustable and foldable mirrors with memory, auto dimming on drivers' side etc

Our Style was built third week of July, so we were expecting the electrically folding mirrors, but when it turned up last week they weren't fitted - manual fold only. Couldn't really complain as we'd ordered in March.

But the strange thing is, going to the website this evening, the brochure / pricelist has reverted to the 01 Apr 20 version, with no mention of folding mirrors for the Style.

What's going on?
Yes I noticed that too, when looking to see if the price had changed with the addition of the new items and to compare the specs. Maybe VW have decided to reveret to the launch spec for now because most cars available are already in dealer stock

johnsimcox
22-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Because of the current restrictions on our lives, plus the Golf being my wife’s car and we tend to use my car for major journeys (when we take them!) the Golf has had limited use since we bought it. However this weekend we covered 360 miles over 2 days traveling from just West of London to the Norwich area and back. The journey in both directions was primarily M25, M11 and A11 plus some local country roads at the Norwich end.

Overall impressions of the car on the journey are very positive and it does not feel like a second class choice compared to my A6. Over the 360 miles we averaged 54.9mpg and an average speed of 48mph which for a 1.5 petrol engine I think is very good and not far off what I got from my 2.0 diesel A6 a few weeks earlier doing the same trip. The return journey actually saw an average speed of over 50mph and an average mpg of 56.3.

Other observations. Like the Sat Nav, especially the little icons on the journey progress line on the right of the screen showing petrol and food stops on the planned route and the ability to touch the icon and program it as a way point. Avoids the incessant “Please make a U turn” when you deviate from the planned route to make a comfort stop. Not sure my A6 has that feature but will need to check. The lane guidance is very dictatorial, all too often it told me to drive in the centre of the road or put my hands on the steering wheel, even though that is where they were and it was just a very straight long stretch of road.

Like my A6 the traffic sign recognition is very hit and miss and when it fails to detect a sign for a period of tie defaults to the speed in the sat nav database which is often incorrect. I see this as being a major issue if the rule makers really want us to adopt autonomous driving. Imagine the anger of other motorists when your car has decided to drive at 30mph when the speed limit is actually 60

Overall very happy with the purchase

Handydave
23-09-2020, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the update, John.

Our 1.5 DSG eTSI (again, my wife’s) has now covered over 800 miles from new in mixed driving - mostly urban but a couple of 100 mile return trips. Over that distance, mpg is 45.6, slightly better than the 45.1 of the previous Golf 1.4 DSG over its final 2,000 miles with. But it’s definitely nippier, and the stop/start is almost imperceptible.

Agree with you on the ‘strip map’ displayed to the right of the sat nav screen. It’s also useful for seeing traffic queues en route and helping you to decide whether to ask the sat nav to avoid them.

Like you, very happy with the new Golf.

WakeyN
24-09-2020, 03:32 PM
Apologies if my question is mundane. I have tried folding the mirrors in manually, but they don’t move willingly. Are they v stiff to move? I don’t want to damage them by forcing them.

Handydave
24-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Yes, they definitely move manually but, as you say, they’re very stiff. Use two hands and, if you’re facing the driver’s door, the mirror housing sort of rotates upwards, 90 deg anti-clockwise.

Handydave
24-09-2020, 07:18 PM

What's going on?

I see there’s a new brochure/pricelist out effective 24 September.
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/golf-8-brochure-pricelist-p11d.pdf

The main changes seem to be that the Style now has the electrically folding mirrors, side assist and the LED light strip across the front grille.