PDA

View Full Version : golf gti mk3 abs problem

andy patterson
12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone please help!

Just fitted new os wheelbearing now have abs light on,everything looks ok,mot due next mounth,any ideas?

Cheers Andy

Crasher
13-11-2007, 12:33 AM
You need to get a fault code scan done which will probably show a fault code with the O/S front wheel bearing. There are plenty of reasons for this such as you had the ABS sensor unplugged with the ignition on, the ABS sensor has gone faulty (this can happen after doing a wheel bearing), or you have buckled the ABS rotor on the back of the hub. Did you at any point put a wheel bolt through the disc to hold the disc steady?

andy patterson
13-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Crasher,Cheers I'll get the car booked in for a fault check.The abs rotor looks a bit rough,I might change it. Andy.

Crasher
14-11-2007, 12:04 AM
That means doing the wheel bearing again.

andy patterson
14-11-2007, 12:18 AM
yes i thought that would happen.should have changed it when doing the job

Crasher
14-11-2007, 12:28 AM
It comes with a new hub.

andy patterson
15-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Do you know how wide the gap should be between the rotor and the sensor.I'v been mucking around with the car and the abs light goes out now and then.I'v cleaned up the rotor best i could,blew away all the ****, tryed to straighten rotor as straight as possible but the light is still on more than it is off.

Crasher
15-11-2007, 11:46 PM
The gap should be exactly 0.3-mm. If the gap is consistently wrong and not varying by rotor position, check the sensor is square to the ring as I have seen people bend the location when changing wheel bearings and surprisingly this can be gently tapped back straight with the sensor removed. If the gap varies the rotor is bent and must be replaced according to VW.

andy patterson
16-11-2007, 01:23 PM
The gap is much wider than that(1to2mm) but no matter how hard i try i can't tighten the main drive shaft nut it will not pull the gap closer.The other side gap is much smaller.I'll try and move the sensor closer to the ring but it will have to wait till next week as i am away for the weekend. cheers .

Crasher
16-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I think you have an assembly error there in relation to the wheel bearing. When you pressed out the hub from the old wheel bearing, did the outer centre race stay on the hub and if so, how did you remove it?

andy patterson
20-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I cut the race with a grinder to weaken it and split it with a chisel. A friend let me use his press to push every thing back together.

Crasher
20-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Could you have nicked the seating face slightly? This would prevent you pushing the hub fully home.

andy patterson
22-11-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't remember damaging any thing but i may have.I had the car in at the garage today and believe it or not vag com says the problem is with the near side not the off side,i never touched the near side,how can this be,i'v never had an abs problem before.I'll have a look tomorrow.

andy patterson
26-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Everything looks ok on ns.I have ordered a sensor for it anyway.I'll try to fit it on thursday.I think the bolt will snap off as it looks well sized.I'm still convinced it's the os.I'll let you know what happens.

andy patterson
01-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Fitted new sensor to near side,problem solved,lesson learned.Thanks for the help Crasher,most appreciated.