PDA

View Full Version : Drone noise from Estate Sport

Astonm
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
First of all may I just say I am so please to find this site, I only found it today and you have already answered most of my questions so thank you to you all :beerchug:

Right then I have a question, I have an 06 2.0 TDI Sport Estate with 29k only had it 2 weeks and overall very pleased, however I am getting a "Droning" noise from the rear I have looked at everything made sure all is secure etc and still no change. Has anyone got any ideas what it may be?? I thought it may be e a wheel bearing but my Brother in law thinks not!

Thank you in advance

Quatrelle
12-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi and welcome - this site has certainly answered a few of my questions!

If you've had a look round the site, the following is probably unhelpful, but....there has been talk on here of rear wheel bearings - I'm assuming your brother in law jacked the wheels up when he checked? - the other thing that comes to mind is (uneven?) rear tyre wear, also mentioned on here. After a front wheel puncture (on another car) I fitted the spare, which had spent all of its previous life on the rear. The noise it made on the front was exactly that of a failed wheel bearing.

Best wishes
John

Astonm
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Thank you Quatrelle, my brother in law just listened while I was driving and said it was not the wheel bearings, I am no mechanic so I can't tell. I have had a look at the rear tyres this morning and there is some wear on the inner sections of both tyres, in fact one side is rather smooth and although not illegal they could possibily do with changing. Its a shame considering the rest of the Tyre looks in good condition. Have you had this problem?

I dropped the car off at VW for another problem this morning and I have asked them to check out the "Droning" noise for me, be intersting to find out what they think, Tyre or Bearings?. I'll keep you informed

Thanks

Quatrelle
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I've not had a problem with the tyres on mine (saloon), but I've done barely 10,000km. This thread is relevant perhaps: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=16627

Astonm
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Thank you Quatrelle, had a good read through that thread and I'm nearly convinced its the tyres. THe car is at VW until tomorrow so I will see what they have to say. I'll update you tomorrow

Next thread will be "What tyre" :biglaugh:

carl s
13-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Next thread will be "What tyre" :biglaugh:

I had a current shape Seat Leon last year which had terrible tyre noise on bridgestones.

The Passat Sport I have now has P zero Rosso's, quiet as mice in comparison :)

Quatrelle
13-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I had a current shape Seat Leon last year which had terrible tyre noise on bridgestones.I'm currently on Bridgestones (Potenzas), but I will be trying something different when the time comes - there are definitely quieter tyres out there.

Astonm
14-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Well I had new rear tyres today and the drone has gone:approve:

But I'm not totally happy as when they removed the old ones the inner of the tyres were really bad almost bold yet there must have been around 4 - 5mm of tread left on the rest of the tyre:confused: I have spoke to VW about this and they do not believe there is a problem although the recommend I get a 4 wheel alignment done at £100!!!! I have tried to get this covered under warranty (the car is 2 years old but I have only had it 2 weeks) but they are having none of it. So to prevent my tyres doing this again I must payout to get the alignment done. Has anyone had this done and found any improvement?????

Quatrelle
14-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Have another look at this, esp. first post - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=16627

How can VW say it's not a problem, and then recommend you get the wheels aligned?? Perhaps a visit to the local trading standards office first, 'Sale of Goods Act' (not fit for purpose) and then another visit to the dealer armed with what you know from this forum.

carl s
15-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Well I had new rear tyres today and the drone has gone:approve:

But I'm not totally happy as when they removed the old ones the inner of the tyres were really bad almost bold yet there must have been around 4 - 5mm of tread left on the rest of the tyre:confused: I have spoke to VW about this and they do not believe there is a problem although the recommend I get a 4 wheel alignment done at £100!!!! I have tried to get this covered under warranty (the car is 2 years old but I have only had it 2 weeks) but they are having none of it. So to prevent my tyres doing this again I must payout to get the alignment done. Has anyone had this done and found any improvement?????

A four wheel alignment is all very well but on a lot of cars it's pointless because there's often no adjustment you can do on the geometry of the rear wheels unlike the front.

BenR
18-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I had the same drone from the rear of my SE estate from new. Turned out the tyre pressures had been set wrong by the dealer - their gauges are never accurate.

Stuart W
20-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I've heard the same noise on my TDI SE Estate since 20 - 30k or so on the clock.

The dealer checked the wheel bearings and said there was no problem, and claimed that the noise was just due to the tyres wearing.

On another forum a poster said that they had several Passats in their fleet and most of them had a problem with abnormal tyre wear on the inside of the back tyres which was causing the noise and leading to premature tyre replacement, but VW haven't acknowledged any problem.

Although I can hear the noise there isn't any sign of abnormal tyre wear, and my rear tyres have currently done 45k and should last till well over 50k by the looks of things, which isn't bad?

Astonm
21-11-2007, 06:01 PM
my tyres looked ok and had loads of wear left in them but when i removed the rear wheels you can feel the tread raised and not consistant. This is what was causing the noise as now i've replaced them everything is all quiet. The car has just done 30k and I can only assume these are the original tyres.

Stuart W
22-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Well TBH I certainly haven't done a really close inspection, but the problem doesn't seem to have affected the legality or longevity of the tyres, unlike what others have claimed.

But given the price of these tyres I'm not too keen on replacing them half-way through their useful life just to get rid of the noise.:(

Astonm
22-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I know what you mean, mine were still legal but I could not live that drone any longer :-( so I bit the bullet. I am pleased I did it now as the car is nice and quiet

Stuart W
22-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I know what you mean, mine were still legal but I could not live that drone any longer :-( so I bit the bullet. I am pleased I did it now as the car is nice and quiet

Well the noise is quite intrusive on certain roads and in certain conditions but most of the time I don't really notice due to stereo, road type, speed of driving or whatever, so I think I'll just live with it in the meantime:o

claranet
15-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I took three versions of the B6 Estate and one B6 Saloon with the DSG, for test drives. All were approximately 12 months old

One of the Estates an SE I noticed a humming noise coming from the rear; I said to the salesman that I thought that one of the wheel bearings were shot.
the Salesman smiled and said that the car was a trade in ex company car with 42k miles on it. Before it was traded in the dealer said that the Tyres needed replaceing or a price adjustment. The dealer quoted for replacing the tyres with Michelin Primacies or similar branded ones. The punter decided to replace the Tyres with the cheapest tyres he could get, made in Bulgaria !:(

This is what was causing the droning noise similar to wheel bearings. The Car was due to have Michelins fitted prior to sale.

I guess that the droning is to do with the tread pattern design. Does anyone remember the Town & Country Tyres fitted to Land Rovers in the 1960's ?

Big knobbly things they were !

I'd stick with a well known brand Tyre - preferably a VW approved one.
Having said that my Wife's B5 estate has Continental 'Premium Contact 2' on the front with an offset tread pattern and these are excellent.

My new B6 170 Sport Estate is fitted with Pirelli 'Pzero Rosso' 'W' rated and although I am not usually a Pirelli fan I have to admit these do perform very well.

Personally I reckon that Car Manufacturers do deals with the best tyres for them and of course what price !!!

I will be keeping a careful eye on the Tyres. The B5 estate has a habit of wearing it's n/s/r Tyre prematurely.

Regards

claranet

BenR
16-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Tyre drone on Land Rovers? You shoulda heard the noise from the Michelin XCLs on our ex-RAF Land Rover 90 when we bought it - you could hear it coming half a mile away. Pedestrians used to turn around when they heard us coming but it was always middle-aged men who had recognised the unmistakeable "convoy" sound.

Try changing the tyre pressures on the Passat.