PDA

View Full Version : 97 Gti 8v - wont start - nothing at all

hornetcarp
11-11-2007, 02:10 PM
getting buzzing from fuel pump when ignition is turned on but nothing at all from starter etc.?

did manage to bump start it and battery is fine

what are the most likely causes and simple things to check first? (i'm thinking relays? ignition switch?)

thanks for your help:beerchug:

Crasher
11-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Hello and welcome. In the absence of an aftermarket immobiliser the two most obvious areas are the ignition switch or starter motor. Put a jumper wire from the battery positive terminal to the terminal on the starter with a red/black wire and see if it turns over. The wire needs to be quite thick and be careful, making sure the car isn't in gear. Attach the wire to the starter first, and then to the battery. If you decide it is the ignition switch, only fit a genuine VW dealer supplied part, I have had terrible trouble with aftermarket versions recently.

hornetcarp
11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
hi, thanks.

i have got an aftermarket immobiliser so i guess that could be the problem, but then if it wasn't disarming would i hear the fuel pump start-up?

i've noticed when trying to operate the starter the brake system and ABS lights are coming on, don't know if that points to anything?

Crasher
11-11-2007, 03:16 PM
That does sound like the ignition switch. They are quite difficult to fit, involving removing the air bag, steering wheel and stripping down the column which means removing the adapter sleeve with a puller. You can test the switch by removing the lower cover, unplugging connector and plugging it into a new switch which you can operate with a flat blade screw driver BUT DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR IN THIS CONDITION, if you forget to unlock the steering you could have a nasty surprise.

hornetcarp
12-11-2007, 04:05 PM
****** car!!!

it's sat there since friday afternoon, wouldn't start saturday or sunday.

was going to ring breakdown today but thought i'd better give it 1 try today and it started on the button!!! and it was bloody freezin this morning!!!

i haven't touched anything and it started just like that......strange?!?!

:confused:

hornetcarp
17-11-2007, 11:58 AM
was fine all week (had some cold frosty mornings) and then came out of work yesterday and wouldn't start again!!!! what is it about a friday afternoon??

anyway after about 12 minutes of continuous trying it suddenly fired-up just like that??

if it is the ignition switch wouldn't it cause problems with electrics whilst driving, like the radio going off or similar?

Kev2904
19-11-2007, 04:46 PM
was fine all week (had some cold frosty mornings) and then came out of work yesterday and wouldn't start again!!!! what is it about a friday afternoon??

anyway after about 12 minutes of continuous trying it suddenly fired-up just like that??

if it is the ignition switch wouldn't it cause problems with electrics whilst driving, like the radio going off or similar?

I had this exact issue turns out it was the coil that was dead I ran a multimeter from the coil feed to the rotor cap and I was only getting battery voltage new coil and voila dubbing along nicely...

bout £50 new and 25 from a scrappy :beerchug:

hornetcarp
19-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I had this exact issue turns out it was the coil that was dead I ran a multimeter from the coil feed to the rotor cap and I was only getting battery voltage new coil and voila dubbing along nicely...

bout £50 new and 25 from a scrappy :beerchug:

if the coil was dead surely it wouldn't start full stop???:confused:

Kev2904
19-11-2007, 06:54 PM
if the coil was dead surely it wouldn't start full stop???:confused:

thats what I thought but I noticed a small crack on the coil pack and when swapped it worked...

might be worth getting a mates and trying it?

the 16v wont work tho its a differnet fitting for the plugs.

hornetcarp
19-11-2007, 07:12 PM
did it cause any problems with the engine cutting out or just starting?

Kev2904
19-11-2007, 07:14 PM
did it cause any problems with the engine cutting out or just starting?

hmm it was a whiole ago but i think when it did start "rarely" it would need a lot of gas to keep the revs up or it would just die on me so i would stick it win gear and drive slowly for a few mins then it would be fine.

I thought it was the butterfly lave but that was clean.

hornetcarp
23-11-2007, 10:30 PM
been absolutely fine all week since last friday..............starting 1st time:confused: