PDA

View Full Version : Drainage hole behind ecu box a4

abaker
04-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I have loads of trouble with water collecting in the drivers side footwells.I am aware of the issues surrounding drainage getting blocked.

I am having trouble acessing the drainage hole located behind the "ecu" box.On closerinspection it would appear that this is were the problem lies.

Any ideas on how to unblock this one if indeed thats were its located

doordoctor
17-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Hello, interesting to hear your story, i can take that a stage further. Some months ago i bought a A4 2.4 V6 Auto 1999 in a private sale. The gears where fine for a while, but one day the gearbox went to "back up mode". Took it to a reputable gearbox mechanic who tested it on his computer, and went stright to the drivers footwell, drew back the carpet, pulled out the ECU, opened the black box and water came rushing out.
The ECU is totaly wrecked. Audi want £980 for a compatible one. After much searching on the internet i still have not found an exact part number, which it has to be, but a parts dealer in Manchester sent me an ECU with the same number except the last letter, i want an R, his was a A. It works to an extent but i cant engage tiptronic and the gearing is slightly out.
Morrall of the story... clean your drain holes.

doordoctor
17-09-2006, 08:19 PM
OH sorry, under the battery.

Sam
18-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I have loads of trouble with water collecting in the drivers side footwells.I am aware of the issues surrounding drainage getting blocked.

I am having trouble acessing the drainage hole located behind the "ecu" box.On closerinspection it would appear that this is were the problem lies.

Any ideas on how to unblock this one if indeed thats were its located

I'm not sure it's behind the ECU more to the side of.

Once you've cleared the battery side, move across to the centre of the car, around the brake booster area (I think that's what it is!)

The second drainage hole can be got at with very small hands or a bit of force - on the Passat (sharing the same body of course) it's here;

http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/images/017_battery_tray_removed.jpg
Picture taken from http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/

paul20v
19-09-2006, 11:54 AM
you can get the drainage hole from under the bonnet between the rack and bulkhead but it is a squeeze thats the centre one anyway if you do not want to remove the battery