PDA

View Full Version : James Bond style smoke screen

jack71
10-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi folks,have a 2002 passat 1.9 tdi se pd,usually a top notch drive,but as of this week it is sluggish as hell.Even worse,when i have to accelerate it is very slow to react,there is a bit of a wooshing air sound and i am leaving a smoke screen behind the car.going uphill is a chore,its like i am in the red arrows minus the speed but with the display smoke on!!!! have changed out the MAF,had a diagnostic check done which came up all clear,mechanic checked all pipes going into turbo were intact.My dad says he had a similar proble with his Pug a while back and it turned out to be the cat.could i be looking at the same problem?and if so how much pain is my wallet going to be subjected to? :1zhelp:

colorado
10-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi

I think the whoosing sound is the give away here, that has to be pressurised air from the turbo leaking. I know you mentioned a mechanic has checked this but your leak may only occur under load. Someone on the forum has mentioned their intercooler split, this could be difficult to spot. I would check the whole of the pressure side of the air intake again, as it may be a split rather than a pipe off.
I am suprised that no errors show up on Vag-com so I could be wrong with the above, just my two-bobs worth. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here so I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Good luck

Kevin

jack71
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi

I think the whoosing sound is the give away here, that has to be pressurised air from the turbo leaking. I know you mentioned a mechanic has checked this but your leak may only occur under load. Someone on the forum has mentioned their intercooler split, this could be difficult to spot. I would check the whole of the pressure side of the air intake again, as it may be a split rather than a pipe off.
I am suprised that no errors show up on Vag-com so I could be wrong with the above, just my two-bobs worth. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here so I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Good luck

Kevin
cheers kevin,will do.its doing my nut in,never any probs with car before,wife says i am an anorak as i notice even the smallest change with it!

Baron_Samedi
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Feeling for you bud,

I had exactly the same thing - VW dealer found it was a dislodged turbo boost hose???

The failure was preceded for a few weeks by a hesitation on light acceleration.

jack71
14-11-2007, 03:13 PM
trumpet fanfares ahoy!!! car sorted!! split pipe going into lower turbo.
new pipe....£60
mechanic £30
me not going mental....priceless!!!

bora(ing) nick
14-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Glad you got sorted!

Nick