PDA

View Full Version : castrol oils

beclee
10-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi all

Can someone tell which oil I am supposed to be topping up with??
I have a 56plate 140 2.0tdi b6

I have checked around for this but there also seems to be some confusion. When the cars leave the factory they have castrol oil but some dealers are not putting castrol in after the service. My dealer has suggested a number of oils you can top up with. But I want the same stuff as my car. Which I am told is castrol. However, there are several castrol deisel oils.

Help????:1zhelp::aargh4::1zhelp:

chrisvw
10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Mine came new with a spare bottle of Castrol SLX Longlife II but this has now been replaced with Castrol Edge 5W-30 which appears to be the right stuff for variable servicing:-

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004868&contentId=7008962

It's about £14 a litre in Halfords.

Quatrelle
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I was given 500ml of a Total oil - can't remember which one, but obviously it is to VW's spec.

Perhaps they use Castrol for the UK and Total for France etc.?

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use whatever I can get that matches VW's spec. regardless of what the dealer puts in. The car (140TDI) is going in for its first service in December, so it will be interesting to see if they tell me what oil they have used.

Black
11-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I got a new Skoda at the same time as a new Passat. The VW says use Castrol oil the Skoda says Shell even though the engine block is stamped as VW AG!

I don't think the brand matters so long as it meets the required spec.