PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT TDI 110 - Engine Wobble?

gt_tdi_si
03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Hope someone can advise me on this, I have bought a Golf GT TDI 110 on an S Plate. It's a great car, but when the engine is ticking over at a junction for instance the engine seems to have an excessive wobble? sometimes for a couple of seconds and sometimes longer - you can feel the wobble in the car.... I have lifted the bonnet while it is wobbling and you can actually see the engine wobbling excessivly!!

I have spoken to a few people and someone suggested this is a known fault with these engines but I'm not convinced.

If someone could advise I would appreciate it very much.

Sorry for the wobble description but I don't know how else to describe it!

Thanks in advance.

Si.

gurpalbasra
08-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Si,
I would say you need to replace the dogleg gearbox mount and maybe the other gearbox mounting.

Take a look at www.ukmkivs.net (http://www.ukmkivs.net) forum

G

Petesvw
23-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi
Did you find out what the cause of engine wobble is? I have a 1999 Golf TDI S 90BHp. I have the exact same problem, also I can feel it whilst at speed. When coming to halt at a junction the wobble is sometimes quiet bad. I have also been told that this is common and expensive to fix (ECU or FLY WHEEL). My Golf is booked in at VW on Friday for diagnostics.

gurpalbasra
23-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Seriously people it's worth replacing the dog leg gearbox mount, it definately made the vibrating better on my 1998 Golf TDI. Part is only about £40 and easy to fit

Petesvw
23-10-2006, 07:47 PM
HI thanks for the advice!
Did you get a part number and supplier for the part or did you go with VW. You say it made the vibration better did it cure it.
Many Thanks Pete.

gurpalbasra
23-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Pete

The part was purchased from Euro car parts or GSFCARPARTS.com.(No part no's sorry) I had the dog leg done and sold the car a few months later. I cannot say it went away. Lets say that to most people it would seem that the clutch was slipping. Having read a lot of forums. I went for the dogleg. when looking at the old one it had definately seen better days.

I would recommend you read the ukmiivs.net forums and do a search. I even got a how to guide of that forum detailing exactly how to change it.

Regards
Gurpal

Petesvw
23-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi
Thank you for that. I will try the forum suggested.

Regards
Pete.

adamss24
23-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Sometimes the injectors can be out of ballance/worn but it would do it all the time not just on tick over. Dont believe what they say about flywheel or ecu(Bad ecu means no start) try replacing engine mounts and the gearbox mount. If your car is less than 100k or theyre were reconditioned then my mones's on the mounts. Hope this helps.

Boardboy
24-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone thought of one of these :http://www.superflex.co.uk/SuperFlex_Volkswagen_Golf_MK_4_Prices.pdf
Page 2
A friend fitted one to his Seat and said it cured the engine twisting under braking and acceleration, May help with the wobble problem.
Regards Boardboy