PDA

View Full Version : A6 C8 'Keyless go' theft risk?

robgr
04-12-2019, 01:01 PM
I am about to take delivery of a new A6 C8
What is the theft risk regarding 'Keyless go'?
Are any ODB2 port security covers any good
Any recommendations or any other advice?
Can anyone alo recommend a decent tracker?
Any tracker that uses the ODB2 port can be easily disconnected or am I missing something?

GwynThomas
04-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Hi Rob,

I have the Convenience Key which allows keyless entry and starting the engine on my new S7 but there are a few precautions I have taken to try and eliminate relay theft or key cloning.

One of the first things you can do, and probably the safest against relay theft is disabling the Convenience Open feature within the settings. Personally I haven’t done this because I like the convenience of not pressing the button on the remote.

If you don’t want to do that, make sure you keep the keys away from doors and windows and as far away from the car as possible. To be doubly safe you could purchase a faraday pouch or box online that you keep the keys in when you’re not using them. I keep my spare key in a pouch and my main key as far away from the doors and windows as possible when I’m not using it.

Finally, I had a SmarTrack S5 tracker installed. With the lifetime subscription this was not cheap (best part of £1000!) but at the end of the day it means that if someone stole my keys I would be alerted automatically as it has a driver recognition fob you keep on you separately. If the engine even starts or the car moves without me in it then I’ll get an alert.

I hope that helps [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT.
04-12-2019, 01:39 PM
What is the theft risk regarding 'Keyless go'?

The keyless go is not a real risk, as this option only means, that you don't need to put your key into the dashboard. This means, you have to open the car with the pressing of the open button on the remote, so this feature only a risk, if you haven't got an alarm system, and a burgler can break in into your car. However, if the thief has this ability, than it doesn't matter whether the key is there or not.

rapport25
04-12-2019, 02:51 PM

I purchased the following which is great!

No need to take your house keys off. All fit in the pouch fine!

GwynThomas
04-12-2019, 03:41 PM
I got something similar that was meant to only block the signals enough so you could keep the car key in the pouch in your pocket but it would block it from a distance. It’s called Keyless Cloak and came from the US.

I found it works perfectly as long as it’s not in my pocket??? If I have it in my hand I can walk up to the car, jump in and drive off but if it’s in my pocket apparently the extra layer of cotton and denim are enough to block the signal so it’s too weak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whippy53
05-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Buy a Faraday pouch. Whatever you do don't try and hide it, if they want the car badly enough they'll break in.