PDA

View Full Version : iPod connection - no longer compatible with RCD500?

orangezorki
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Hello all,

I was contacted by my VW dealer today, saying that VW could not build my car with the iPod connector as it has the RCD500 (with Dynaudio, but that didn't seem to be the issue). Apparently, a technical bulletin says this, and that the price of the RCD500 is £35 higher for cars ordered since October the 5th. They have told me that they won't be charging me the extra, which at least is much better than BMW who raised the price of a car I ordered by £4k after I paid my deposit.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm concerned that iPod connectors might not be compatible with the RCD500 any more - i.e. new OEM or they're putting the CD changer into the glove box instead of having it integrated into the head unit.

If it isn't anything apart from an inventory problem at the factory, this gives me a chance to get a better connection than the VW one. Does anyone know of one that will access the entire ipod, connect directly as an aux input and display info on the head unit?

Thanks for any replies,

David.

orangezorki
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Forgot to mention - I've also ordered the bluetooth integration - might this be the problem?

David.

orangezorki
10-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Another update - I've seen that VW have done a major revamp of the sat nav options for MY08. The sat nav now has a touchscreen, 30Gb HD, SD card slot, and an option for a usb and aux connection. But none of this is available for the RCD500, and the iPod preparation is only available for the RCD300, though there is a aux only connection available for both - anyone know if there is a new RCD 500 that won't accept an iPod adapter?

Thanks for any answers,

David.

forge197
11-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I can't help directly, but the older RCD500 had a input for a disc changer as well as having one built in, it maybe that they have started to manufacture the RCD500 without this feature therefore you cannot add the IPOD. But the My08 pricelist is very specific that the RCD500 and IPOD do not work together But the RCD500 is MP3 compatible so you could copy stuff to CD (not an ideal solution)

Touchscreen DVD Nav sounds good though.

You other option would be find an older RCD500 on ebay and swap it out.

Ben
11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
The latest RCD500 is a 6 disc ch build in to the head uint. It will also read mp3 cd's, the unit is not touch screen.

I cant see a problem as to why you cant have the ipod prep with the RCD 500.

The latest RCD 300 is only a single cd and also reads mp3's, also not touch screen.

both the above units can be mated to the armrest (golf v) mounted 6 disc non mp3 cd changer. however if you do opt for the cd you can't have the ipod prep.

go to xcarlinks section in the supporting companies section to save some money on this issue.

The touch screen dvd sat nav does soung good though.

orangezorki
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks to both of you for the answers - I called VW UK today, and my fears have been realised - the new RCD500 doesn't have a CD changer port! Apparently, there were some problems with the combo in the past, so they have got rid of the feature. Personally, this seems to me like a really stupid way to save 35p on component costs. Apart from the aux connector (which they very optimistically call a multimedia socket), there is no option. This sucks.

David.

forge197
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
That is bad news, if you have an ipod you could use a wireless adapator but it's not an ideal solution. I still think getting an older one used would be a good solution.

orangezorki
13-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Yup, as I said, it sucks, though there is always the possibility that the RCD500 still has the connector, and they have no idea what's going on. By wireless adaptor, do you mean FM transmitter - because in London there are far too many radio stations for that to work well.

As for buying used - no way. My last (and current) car is a Toyota, and even that goes clonk when I turn left!

David.

djsky
05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Have you managed to get confirmation on this issue? I've got a brand new PAssat Estate, with RCD500 and Dynaudio... and until Kenwood release their new line of DVD/Nav units in MArch, i'm stuck with the RCD500 and a portable DVD Player... but need an AUX input....

Is there an Aux input on the RCD500? Or am I gonna have to pull the thing out and have a look myself?

IF there is an AUX input, Where do I get a simple lead to plug an aux input into it?

Cheers

james_tiger_woo
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Pulling out the stereo should be pretty simple - and an Aux connector should just be a 3.5mm jack - unless VW define a new "standard" and go for 5.25mm :D

DaveNN
05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks to both of you for the answers - I called VW UK today, and my fears have been realised - the new RCD500 doesn't have a CD changer port! Apparently, there were some problems with the combo in the past, so they have got rid of the feature. Personally, this seems to me like a really stupid way to save 35p on component costs. Apart from the aux connector (which they very optimistically call a multimedia socket), there is no option. This sucks.

David.

The more that I get to 'know' VW, the more I become frustrated in the way that they do business & liaise with the customer.....AND THE P...POOR KNOWLEDGE THAT THE DEALERS HAVE ON THEIR PRODUCTS!!
This issue was flagged up in the latest (08) price list..in teeny print!
I, like you, have gone for the RCD500 BUT didn't consider the IPOD prep (mainly due to some of the posts on this forum) AND that it would cost me a few quid. I went for the 'USB' connection....whatever that ends up being is open to debate (NO ONE AT THE DEALER SEEMS TO KNOW!!).
My theory is that; if it is a genuine USB, then you should be able to use an IPOD or similar...no probs. At the moment I use my Nokia 6230i as an MP3 player (going through the handsfree), hopefully...I could do the same. BUT by plugging into the Aux in/USB Port instead. IF VW have thought about it, this could also be used as a psuedo handfree kit (using the RCD500 speakers!!)....perhaps it can!!??
You are right about the FM transmitters....not great!
However, the DAB units (plugged into the Aux in) are supposed to be the puppies!!! Cost about £60.00.

Cheers
Dave NN

DaveNN
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Have you managed to get confirmation on this issue? I've got a brand new PAssat Estate, with RCD500 and Dynaudio... and until Kenwood release their new line of DVD/Nav units in MArch, i'm stuck with the RCD500 and a portable DVD Player... but need an AUX input....

Is there an Aux input on the RCD500? Or am I gonna have to pull the thing out and have a look myself?

IF there is an AUX input, Where do I get a simple lead to plug an aux input into it?

Cheers

Aux in is a £25.00 option....

Cheers
Dave NN

djsky
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Aux in is a £25.00 option....

Cheers
Dave NN

Yes, when you order the car...

This small aux in option wasn't on the price list when I ordered my car... so can I get a lead to enable this aux in? and where can I get it?

DaveNN
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes, when you order the car...

This small aux in option wasn't on the price list when I ordered my car... so can I get a lead to enable this aux in? and where can I get it?

Can't help on that one..sorry! But (then again) neither will a dealer....:(
BUT you've got one on me here....at least you know that the Aux In is small!....
I'm struggling to understand just how it can be USB.....
Forgive me..but do you have a hands free kit fitted??
IF so, p'raps my current solution is a goer???..for the short term....

Cheers
DaveNN

orangezorki
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm struggling to understand just how it can be USB...

Personally, I think that they mean non-iPod digital audio players, and haven't quite got their terminology right. However, the RCD500 does play MP3 CDs, so it is possible that there is a USB port and the headunit decodes, like the (much costlier) option I have seen in BMWs and Volvos. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

David.

djsky
06-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Right, that does it! I'm gonna get my screwdriver our and whip the bloomin' head unit out of my car...

A reply I got from xcarlinks... "please can you send me photo of the Aux connection so we can determine if we have the correct product"

lol.

Maybe we should have a dedicated Sound system section to these forums?

No, i don't have bluetooth, or ipod, or the multifunction steering wheel.

james_tiger_woo
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Right, that does it! I'm gonna get my screwdriver our and whip the bloomin' head unit out of my car...

Don't forget the airbag warning light thing...... !!! ;)

iaint
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Maybe we should have a dedicated Sound system section to these forums?

I know it's not exactly what you mean by a dedicated section but this thread may be as good a place as any to start with.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10505

Cheers
Iain

djsky
06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Was easier than I thought... Just popped the bottom of the surround off with my fingers, then put a flat screwdriver up behind the top of each side and prised the surround completely off, unplugged the airbag warning light, then un-screwed the headunit.

Surprisingly, there's loads of space in that double din hole, so fitting my new kenwood in march shouldn't be too difficult.

As for the RCD500MP3 (that looks like the official product code), i'll try taking some photos later, but i'm at work, but it appears there's no standard connector (like usb or phono, or minijack 3.5mm) but there is on a small two row connector pins that are labelled Left, Right and ground... and DI, and B+ or something... there's nothing connected to these, but i suspect they're either inputs or direct outputs.

Though, I guess I must need to do something to let the stereo know that something is connected to it's input... as there's no "AUX" button on the RCD500MP3, nor do I get any "Vacant" source by selecting the CD button, or anything.

Moving closer I guess...

Anyone know what to do next?

iaint
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, there isn't a USB, Jack or phono connector on the back of the stereo, you need an adaptor to plug into that socket you describe.

X Car link, connects2 and others all make suitable adaptors.

You also don't need to let the stereo know anything. When you plug your adaptor in, pressing the CD button twice will bring up a new menu for your auxillary input. This isn't there as standard though it'll only appear when you plug the adaptor in.

Have a read of this thread for more info.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7788

Cheers
Iain

djsky
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm waiting on my local supplier to get back to me with a price of the Aux input device from connects2... connects2 wouldn't give me a price as i don't have an account with them.

I bet it's gonna be over £50 or so... Surely there's a simpler way of telling the stereo something's plugged into the aux input... like grounding one of the pins etc... maybe if someone's got a connects2 aux adapter they can tell by which cables are connected?

Or give me twenty minutes with the local dealer's parts/service computer and i reckon i could find how the factory fit loom is wired up... as it's only £25.00 from new, it can't be that difficult.

djsky
06-02-2008, 01:45 PM
As I suspected, from the post you mention (iaint) the CTAVGS009 is 79.99 - But from investigating and asking round a few places, there is a similar product, the VVGX004 - £29.99 that is a basic aux input for the RCD300 and 500 including the MP3 one - although if you have an external cd changer, it uses the same port, so you have either or cd / aux depending which one is plugged in.

Think i'm at the bottom of it now...

Cheers for all your help, and hopefully this topic is useful to many others.

iaint
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm glad you found a cheaper alternative which works. I did make the comments in the other thread back in April and even then I was refering to products I had fitted a few months earlier.

All in all it's over 12 months since I fitted my aux connector and I suspect several new products have come to the market since then. The more competition there is then the lower the prices fall.

It may be helpful for others if someone with a more recent experience than me could update the product details on the other thread.

Cheers
Iain