PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTi MK2: Reversing lights problem

Goldfinga
09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi all,
Looking for a bit of help/advice/suggestions if poss:1zhelp:

The reversing light doesn't work: The fuse blows as soon as I put the car into reverse gear.

Any ideas on how I go about checking the reversing light electrical system?

Cheers, Chris AKA goldfinga

P.S.
I've got a 'Haynes Manual' but it doesn't actually explain anything about finding a fault in the reversing light system - or at least, I can't find any detailed information! (Finding the fuse box was a stumble for me - in the manual it says it's under the instrument panel on the RHD side - My GTi is LHD and the fuse box is on the left! doh!)

jettagirl
10-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I haven't a clue, but my boyfriend (who does all the work on my cars) said you have a wire some where shorting out when you put it into reverse (something about negative touching positive=overloading) Have you got any wires any where they're touching the shassy???

Goldfinga
10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Jettagirl,
thanks for replying: I was going through trying to check (there seemed to be a strange wire connected up to the reverse light wiring (at the rear) that looked like an 'after attachment' (with a 1.5 fuse attached) that leads off under the rear inside covering... don't know if that might have anything to do with it? (does the reverse light system run anything else?)

Anyway... I changed the main reversing light fuse - but not only did it blow, but when I started the car up, a strange 'whining' noise and white smoke came out from under the bonnet - the reversing light switch at the gear box had burned out and melted the red/black (which I guess must be the positive) wire all the way to the fuse box.

Now there are NO electrics: no ignition light, sidelights, headlights, wipers, etc... (the central locking and electric windows work though, so the battery is OK)- the engine turns over but won't start.

So, my guess is that I will have to replace the reversing light switch, the burned out wires, fuse.. (and perhaps the fuse box?)

I took loads of pics of everything - I think I'm going to start off a small blog about my amature mechanics!

:o

I haven't a clue, but my boyfriend (who does all the work on my cars) said you have a wire some where shorting out when you put it into reverse (something about negative touching positive=overloading) Have you got any wires any where they're touching the shassy???

jettagirl
11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh no!!!! What size fuse did you put in?!?!!?

All i know is that a single fuse works more than one thing and they aren't necessarily connected (eg. lights & wipers)

Seems like you have a short somewhere in your car (might be near your fusebox)

I don't think you'll need a new fuse box (unless it has literally melted!) but you need to find out where the short is (might be worth you getting a trained electrician :o lol only joking, whats the fun in having a mk2 if you can't experiment?! lol) and then put all the right size fuses in.

I won't give you any more advice in case the whole car blows up!!!!! :o

Good luck!

Goldfinga
13-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Hi there, thanks for the info... (couldn't reply any sooner 'cos of work):rant:

As far as the fuse for the reversing lights is concerned I can't find anything in the Haynes manual diagrams that shows if it's related to anything else but the reversing lights (maybe someone on the forum can answer that one!).. although the 'burnt-out' wire that runs from the reverse light switch (at the gearbox) is connected to the main fuse box, in a 'cluster' along with other wires (the other wired don't appear to be affected). Removing this cluster from the fusebox.. the oil temperature indicator works:nervous:

The reverse light switch at the gearbox definitely needs replacing.. and so too does the wiring (at least the 'burnt out' one!).. that's gonna be a task methinks!!:rocketwho

Anyway.. hopefully I'll have sometime to bodge around tomorrow..:yikes:.

will let you know how I get on!

;)

Oh no!!!! What size fuse did you put in?!?!!?

All i know is that a single fuse works more than one thing and they aren't necessarily connected (eg. lights & wipers)

Seems like you have a short somewhere in your car (might be near your fusebox)

I don't think you'll need a new fuse box (unless it has literally melted!) but you need to find out where the short is (might be worth you getting a trained electrician :o lol only joking, whats the fun in having a mk2 if you can't experiment?! lol) and then put all the right size fuses in.

I won't give you any more advice in case the whole car blows up!!!!! :o

Good luck!