PDA

View Full Version : Central locking woes

basic147
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Hello, I have a 2001 PASSAT TDI (130) and have a strange central locking problem that I was wandering if anyone has seen?

To the untrained eye the central locking is fine. All doors open and close etc etc. The problem is when I unlock the car and get it in sometimes the central locking chatters and the interior light comes on as if the door is open. At this point the two CL buttons on the arm rest stop working and the doors can only be unlocked with the keyfob.

Ive been reading the threads and haven't got any water on the passenger footwell and the battery compartment is not full of water so don't etc etc

I have however read a few people on here with the same problem but haven't read a definitive solution yet :-(

Any ideas?????

basic147
23-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I thought I would update my own thread as I have now solved the problem with my stange central locking problem.

My advice is even if your carpets are not damp lift them up and take a look. My carpets were not damp but I still had water ingress.

Next step find out where the leak is coming from. I had no blocked drains and found that my water was coming through a badly seated POLLEN FILTER HOUSING! I removed the pollen filter and lagged with EVO STIK All Purpose Flex Silicone Sealant and refitted. I dried the carpet the best I could and put everything back.

Later I found the problem with the central locking was still there. I pulled the front carpet back and checked there were no leaks coming in with a trusty watering can;) there wasn't but things were still slightly damp because the carpet holds SO much water!

I removed the CCM from it housing and found that although there was no water. some of blades and spade connectors were corroded. I cleaned them all up with emery paper and made an extra effort to dry the carpet properly.
Now everthing is working properly :beerchug:

Thanks to all the helpful advice on this website. Ive found it all really useful!