PDA

View Full Version : problems starting engine when warm

gaz tf
08-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi,
My 2004 golf 1.9 TDi will start immediately when cold but when the engine is warm it tends to take 4 or 5 seconds before the engine starts again. Any ideas please ????
Gary :confused:

D.Dj.
06-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Now I have the same problem. Did you solve with your Golf. Any idea what to do?

chrisvrscrx
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Have you had any work done on the car recently eg Cambelt??

Zippy
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Try depressing the acceleartor 1/4 inch as you turn the key, or turn on the ignition, press the acclerator to the floor, lift off, and start the car.

elPaulio
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Try depressing the acceleartor 1/4 inch as you turn the key, or turn on the ignition, press the acclerator to the floor, lift off, and start the car.

Does that still work on modern injection cars??

I know it did on Carb cars, as depressing the accelerator open the carbs and squirted some fuel in, but surely the injectors won't go unless the engine is running?!??!

Could be wrong, but thought I'd throw in my Tuppence worth :biglaugh:

Paul :)

Zippy
06-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Does that still work on modern injection cars??

I know it did on Carb cars, as depressing the accelerator open the carbs and squirted some fuel in, but surely the injectors won't go unless the engine is running?!??!

Could be wrong, but thought I'd throw in my Tuppence worth :biglaugh:

Paul :)

This is just from my own experience of starting modern diesels when hot, both ways seemed to work well, but the 1/4 inch gentle accelarator depression was a little easier to remember. It just worth a try if there is a problem, worked for me.

D.Dj.
06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
No, haven't done anything related on cambelt. So far 72000km.
There is no DTC (did the VAG-COM test, everything seems to be fine).
Depressing the accelerator doesen't work.

pughster25
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
I am having this problem too when warm, but first thing when cold it starts first flick of the key

any ideas would be great:aargh4:

Robson
09-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi - I also seem to have this 'problem' 1.9TDiS 2005 and 50k miles. Looks like we are going to suffer in silence with the bad starting (no offence to anyone !!)

v8interceptor
10-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I have the same problem on my 1999 1.6 A3.

On a morning she starts first time every time, but if you take a short trip to the shops or drive to work, she then won't start until she has been left to 'cool down' for at least 45 mins.

I can drag her to life if i depress the accelerator while starting but it's still pretty ragged and hit and miss. I've just had her serviced and MOT too!

Any ideas?

Thanks

skodaescapee
16-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi,
Remember seeing Skoda Octavia owners with the same problem on the BRISKODA forum site. Forum member said it was a temperature sensor which innacurately tells the engine to put a rich mixture in. Leave the engine till it cools a little and it should start. Tell the ******* to check the sensor!!!!

neale
01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
having the same problem, hope somebody has some ideas its driving me mad - Heres hoping

jpneary1000
02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
the most common problem is the starter motor. the car needs to be cranking way faster when hot rather than cold. you could also try changing the temp sensor first but more than likely its the starter motor. hope this helps

ChicksFan
06-06-2010, 08:21 AM
the most common problem is the starter motor. the car needs to be cranking way faster when hot rather than cold. you could also try changing the temp sensor first but more than likely its the starter motor. hope this helps

As jpneary1000 says, this is a common problem and the usual cure is a new starter motor.
See here:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95578&highlight=starter+motor

jt1147
26-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a 2005 mk5 golf 1.9 tdi with 65K on the clock which has been causing the same problem for about 6 months now. First thing in the morning it starts perfectly however if I stop the car for any short length of time (up to 2 hours) it is very slow to start again and the engine just seems to be turning over. I have spent now a considerable amount in changing the tandem fuel pump, fuel temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter and had the fuel tank cleaned. I have had it linked to a diagnostic computer which is showing no faults.

My next step was to consider changing the starter and/or the battery as suggested within various posts throughout the net, I have however read a number of posts which suggest that this is not the problem.

The car has a full VW service history and due to the distance I cover it is serviced at least twice per year, I am reluctant to give the car to VW to deal with as the costs no doubt will be astronomical!!

Has anyone solved this problem by replacing the starter??????

PLEASE HELP :mad:

TDiBoraSam
26-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I've posted on various threads about this, as I have a very similar problem on my Bora TDI. However, mine comes up with a fault something like 'Crank Speed - Implausible Signal'.

I've had two new crank sensors, and the problem is still there, so I reckon it's not cranking fast enough, from what I've read above, most likely due to ageing starter and/or battery. Temp sensor is possible, but less likely I think.

Very useful posts guys.

markyd85
26-07-2010, 10:07 PM
My golf 1.9 tdi has this problem when starting from warm aswell. I've had this car for over two years now and it's always done this. If anyone has any suggestions would be helpfull.

volvofh
28-07-2010, 07:39 PM
hi,i had the same problem with my golf,stats 1st turn of the key when cold,but a embarrasment when hot.esp at filling stations.lol.i replaced te engine coolant temp sensor,made no difference,got my starter reconditioned an its 10 times better.i was told to put a new starter on but didnt have the heart to put £150 into a starter from my local vw dealer.a new starter s the answer.hope this helps.:beerchug:

idcwales
28-07-2010, 09:11 PM
join the club every one lol i had this problem last year check my posts even people posted this on you tube i had mine in vw and spent £2000 and guess wot problem still there anyone who solves this will be a very rich man any way the problem is my girlfriends now sold the car to her runs perfect but i did not like the problem .:mad:

jt1147
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I had a new starter motor fitted yesterday and the problem has vanished!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

TDiBoraSam
06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
That's great to hear!

I was going to have a new starter motor fitted last weekend, then decided against it seeing as I had no absolute guarantee it'd fix the problem and I've already spent a fortune on the car.

Knowing it has worked for you might just persuade me to change the starter.....although knowing my luck my problem will be something obscure that nobody has ever come across before!:Blush:

ChicksFan
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I had a new starter motor fitted yesterday and the problem has vanished!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good.
Perhaps this will help convince the cynics.

ChicksFan
08-08-2010, 08:46 AM
That's great to hear!

I was going to have a new starter motor fitted last weekend, then decided against it seeing as I had no absolute guarantee it'd fix the problem and I've already spent a fortune on the car.

Knowing it has worked for you might just persuade me to change the starter.....although knowing my luck my problem will be something obscure that nobody has ever come across before!:Blush:

Go for it Sam!

skodabeast
06-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Hi folks,i have same problem on skoda octavia 1.9 tdi 2009,i have changed coolant temp sensor,crank shaft sensor and no i got starter reconditioned and still problem is there,seems to be small improvement with reconditioned starter but when gets hot and doing short runs it wont start unless i labour the starter with key turned,anyone have any advice?should i have got a brand new starter vrs a reconditioned one?problem came into it overnight about 3 wks ago,i am puzzled and my wallet is empty haha