PDA

View Full Version : T5 Forced Entry

GJC_Sparks
08-11-2007, 01:19 AM
My T5 was broken into on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

I left it fully locked and windows closed!!

The thieves punched a hole in the door, just above the lock [Drivers door] and gained entry somehow - also both windows were open?

So now need new door + lost use of van as ins. company say I would not be insured if van was broken into again or stolen before repair carried out. :mad:

I don't know if this is a known problem but owners BEWARE.
Surely VW should strengthen this area of the door?

I have a photo which I can try and post if anyone interested.

PS - Another T5 [just up the road] was broken into the same way that night aswell.

leafygardens
08-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the break in. I had an attempted break in on my motor caravan. The method of attack was similar to yours. The side loading door was penetrated around the handle/lock area. The door was not opened. Something like a hammer/screwdriver attack, I guess.

After this event I fitted a chain accross the front doors through the front doors inside and fittted a steering wheel lock arm. I also fitted a home brewed device to prevent the side loading from opening. These are helpful if you can access the van from the rear door. Visual deterents are helpful. I would seek out an alarm that indicates that an alarm is fitted, ie led lights. I have an alarm that will sound if a door is opened. You might get a cheaper insurance quote with a Thatcham approved alarm.

John

stockcar
08-11-2007, 09:23 PM
sounds similiar to how the tealeafs have been stealing VW's for years...........didn't realise they still had this weakness!!! cheers for the heads up

mluton
08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Most of the VAG range have a flaw with the locks and windows.