PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Review Site

prolfe
07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I have been looking at changing my personal N80 for either:

Nokia N95 (http://www.nseries.com/products/n95/#l=products,n95)
LG Viewity (KU990) (http://www.lgku990.co.uk/)
or
Sony Ericsson K850 (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10868)

all of which have 5mp cameras and a host of features.

During this search i have found this brilliant website that reviews phones in quite some depth with lots and lots and lots of photo's and videos.

I'm blown away by it really. I have seen CNET and other places but this is just something else.

Have a peek yourselves and let me know what you think.

http://www.gsmarena.com/

I have nothing to do with the site, just love it's content.

Oh and I think I'm gonna have the LG even though i have never had any personal phone other than Nokia's.

Ben
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
I also have a N80 and WANT the N95

Must have Wifi you see. Good camera is bonus.

prolfe
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
N95 8GB is out soon.

I really love the 95, but don't use the WiFi. The Symbian software is ok but sometimes does my head in.

The N80 i've got I will use instead of my crap call quality O2 XDA IQ

The benefit of the IQ is Windows Mobile 5, which i've flashed to Windows Mobile 6 and overclocked it from 190 to 240mhz.

Having WM6 gives me my work's outlook, diary contacts etc.

The N80's benefit's to me are it's camera, TOMTOM software and call quality.

oh i still don't know, just read that the LG is a bit plasticky - will have to hold one in the flesh i think. Then again the N95 is more plasticky than the N80.

hmm

Ben
07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
where did you get the tom tom software from?

prolfe
07-11-2007, 10:50 PM
From the shops of course ;)

but i could also say

from a lot of torrent sites. PM me tomorrow.

i have the nokia GPS receiver which is small and reliable and the battery lasts days and days (as sometimes i leave it on)

The receiver is velcro'd behind my rear view mirror - so that i cannot see it whilst driving. then i take it off and put it away when not in use.

You need a 256mb card as a minimum, but with gaming SD cards you can get 1gb really cheap.

I have John Cleese as the voice as he is not annoying.

BTW TomTom is absolutely brilliant and i would recommend it to the whole world.

Ben
07-11-2007, 10:53 PM
thats what i thought you'd say.:D

i don't have a gps reciever. :(

prolfe
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
:)

The Receiver even at it's full price of £65 it's an amazing price for full functional Sat Nav that puts OEM SatNav to shame.

LD-3W is the model. Search around and you might be able to get it for about £45

Before OEM SatNav owners get all lardy da - i know that the screen on good OEM's are massive in comparison and the sound will be through excellent speakers but you'd of forked out a good old £1500, keep the car 4 years and instead you could buy a new phone, receiver and GPS unit every year and still have cash left over.

onzarob
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
N95 8GB is out soon.

I really love the 95, but don't use the WiFi. The Symbian software is ok but sometimes does my head in.

My Brother (Twin) is a senior developer for Nokia, currently doing the N-Gage stuff. ;) He has all the rubbish jobs :biglaugh:

dessimpson
07-11-2007, 11:30 PM
You can get a bluetooth GPS receiver for under £40 delivered on ebay.
I payed £140 for mine and my mate got one off ebay and it performed exactly the same (typical :()
I've got one of the HTC TyTN phones (Orange SPV 3100) which is ace but there's a new one out soon (maybe out already!) that has the GPS receiver built in (again, typical :()

prolfe
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
The new N81 is not even on the release calendar and i have seen pics today of the new N82 with Wifi and a 5mp camera, built in GPS and TV Out.
Why not just keep the N95 - well the N82 will have a Xenon Flash and maybe better battery

Clinterous
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the tip on that website Prolfe - most useful!:beerchug:

The LG KS20 looks interesting, anyone got any views about LG kit?

prolfe
08-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I used to think that LG was a load of poo, but as each month goes on I think that they have some really nice stuff.

Especially the phones. Now Nokia and what is now Sony Ericsson pretty much own the market and have been banging out phones for 20 years so that makes them the people to beat when releasing new phones.

LG have had some stinkers and are now producing really good looking kit.

Like the KS20 that Clinterous mentions. It looks like the Prada and Viewity but is a Windows Mobile 6 device - only has a 2mp camera but does have a touchscreen and WiFi.

I've yet to go and pick one up to have a techie play and feel. That will be my decider.

Ben
08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
My Brother (Twin) is a senior developer for Nokia,

Theres TWO of you????

Crickey, thought one was enough!;););):D:biglaugh::biglaugh::D:p

Can you get an N95 for me please???:D

onzarob
08-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Can you get an N95 for me please???:D

I'm first in line, so you'll have to wait;)

Ben
08-11-2007, 07:02 PM
So does your bro write the software progs or is he on the test till it fails division.

It sounds really interesting to me, what else can you tell?

prolfe
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Could do with him writing a patch upgrade to sort out the voicemail icon that is permanently telling me that i have a voice mail when i don't.

This is a known fault with Nokia and Orange.

sticking the Sim in a different phone and then leaving and deleting a voicemail clears it from the sim. Sticking it back in the N80 it's then ok - until another person leaves a voicemail then like Take That it's back for good.

:(

I do like the way Orange are the only people to use this icon as its very unobtrusive, not like vodafone's voicemail that either calls you every two minutes are sends a text message.

hmm, seemed to have got on me soap box then, appologies, and have also created a new record for using the word 'voicemail' five times in four paragraphs.
:1zhelp:

Ben
08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
i have this problem too.

my phone tells me that i have a voicemail on line one. I don't have 2 lines to have a line 1.

if i call the answerphone, i have no messages. if someone leaves a message the system works perfectly, i delete the message, yet i still have an invisible msg on line 1.

to try and resolve, i've updeted the software on the phone, contacted orange and recieved sim updates. Apparently, if their techincal support could probe the phone, it my turn out to be one of a 'batch' that 'can' be exchanged.

Can i be bothered to call them tomorrow?

maybe.

N80 user

onzarob
08-11-2007, 09:32 PM
He worked for Psion, then Symbian and help write the ir interface for the epoc32 operating system. So a bit of an expert where symbian OS is concerned.

Obviously he not responsible for the whole operating system;)

He now resides in Canada...lucky git :)