PDA

View Full Version : Ipod preperation or Multimedia Socket

tdw197
07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
First off this is a great forum, I've been lurking around for a while now and since I'm about to order my Passat I've finally joined.

As the title says I'm trying to decide whether to have the full glovebox ipod prep or the 'multimedia socket' as VW call a normal aux in socket.

Which do people think the best and does anyone know where the aux socket physically is, in the interior?

I know the advantage of having the prep is controlling it via the rcd 300, but I don't like the idea of just being able to choose between 6 play lists.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice

Tom

Slimbarry
08-11-2007, 07:22 AM
You can still select something to listen to before you drive via the ipod, like an artist or album or even shuffle. When driving you can then use the controls on the car's radio to skip forwards and back through tracks and to through your selection.

Personally I tend to leave shuffle on.

I also bought an ipod connector from ebay that had both an ipod connection and a 3.5mm stereo jack. I'll look up which one it is if you want. It only took 20 mins to install.

tdw197
08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Cheers for the help Slim,

The main thing which worries me is I like to flick around and listens to whatever takes my fancy which I won't be able to do.

Anyone know any more about the multimedia socket?

xcarlink
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Anyone looking for a solution that allows an iPod or MP3/USB disk to be connected direclty to a factory car stereo should check out www.xcarlink.co.uk (http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/)

The Xcarlink is a revolutionary product that allows you to connect your iPod or MP3 player directly to the CD changer port of your original car stereo for the best possible sound quality, it will even allow you to control your ipod through the controls on your stereo and steering wheel. Features:

Perfect CD quality sound (NO FM MODULATION)
Control your iPod through stereo and steering wheel controls
Control your Playlists through your car stereo Keeps your iPod Charged all the time
Will not lock your ipod when connected Automatically Pauses your ipod when off or switched to another source
Continue to use your existing CD changer - even if you have a CD changer already, you can still continue to use it with your ipod connected.
Full Money Back guarantee What’s more we are currently running a promotion for VWAudiforum members/visitors to receive free Next day delivery on any iPod or USB/MP3 interface order from our website. To take advantage of this offer please enter "vwaudiforum" the bottom of the checkout page.

Blondini
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi,

I have installed one of these in my 2004LeonTdi150 with a factory fitted sat-nav and a glove-box mounted cd-player. The ipod works great BUT with my configuration my cd-player does NOT work

Nick

james_tiger_woo
20-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Is this easy enough to fit as I'm getting my Passat on Monday and this would be the first thing I'd want doing....

Blondini
20-11-2007, 02:27 PM
james it should take 30mins at most

Nick

james_tiger_woo
20-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Cool - are there any instructions online so I can bone up on it before taking my Passat to bits?

iaint
21-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Cool - are there any instructions online so I can bone up on it before taking my Passat to bits?

James

This link should be quite useful
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7788
It gives details of how to install a different brand of connector, but having had a look on the Xcarlink website I think the basic principle is the same and these instructions should be OK.

There is also a link in the thread which will take you to another one explaining how to remove your stereo.

Good luck
Iain

james_tiger_woo
21-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Excellent - thanks...

Out of interest, is there anywhere that might be able to fit this for me? (I'm a bit idle and am in Rotherham....)

James

iaint
21-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't know of anywhere in Rotherham I'm afraid, but to be honest I think it is a very straight forward job anyone could do themselves. All you need in the way of special tools is a Torx driver.

I can understand why you might be a bit reluctant to start pulling the dash apart on your brand new car however. So if you really didn't want to do it yourself I would imagine most ICE shops would be able to help out.

Cheers
Iain

james_tiger_woo
21-11-2007, 08:48 PM
I'll give this a go when I get it on Tuesday - well, maybe Wednesday :)

james_tiger_woo
22-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I've ordered the adapter :) I get the car on Tuesday so watch this space :)

james_tiger_woo
22-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Hmm, not amused....

My order's been placed, the money taken and...... It's out of stock....... Unimpressed - yep.....

henry8
10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
HELP! Trying to install the XCarlink USb adaptor, and can't find instructions anywhere. I've taken out the stereo from my Audi A4 (B5) and checked out the back of it, and it looks like I could be here for ages if I don't know which wires to unplug/plug in.

Please help if you can! I've looked at the links mentioned in this thread but haven't found the info I need. Thanks. :beerchug:

orangezorki
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Hope I'm not going too far off topic, but has anyone here got to the bottom of what's different about the '08 RCD500? The iPod connector is not an option any longer with this head unit, someone said that they have had compatability problems, others that the cd changer port is no longer on the back of it. Anyone know for sure?

David.