PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock

mattyk
19-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Hi guys

Been having a funny creek/squeak coming from my car it’s been happening a while but yesterday I heard it and I’m pretty sure it sounds like the top mount
Is this had to replace

Cheers Matt

warp_speed
27-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Its quite easy to replace. You need to replace 3 bolts and a nut. All are one time use only hence the replacements.

Single bolt at the bottom is a major pain because its 150NM plus 180 degree, so its solid and requires a decent breaker bar and clearance to go ape on it. The two bolts at the top keep the mount in place, I think you can remove these without removing the wheel arch liner just fold it back a bit and remove. Once the complete strut assembly is out you can access the nut that keeps the strut on the suspension mount.

I had a similar squeak coming from my rear shock and found the mounts had completely oxidised with white powder causing the bump stop to squeak.

You can change the top mount without removing the whole assembly but its a pain to tighten the nut at the top of the mount while constantly pressing the top of the strut down, long enough to torque it up. You need a deep ring spanner to access the nut.

If you do release the bottom bolt you need to torque it up while the car is sitting on the ground to ensure you don't put strain on the bushes. Technically its called putting the car into an unladen position.

mattyk
27-06-2019, 04:33 PM
cheers for the reply that’s really good to know so just need to search for the part now

Crasher
27-06-2019, 08:41 PM
If you do release the bottom bolt you need to torque it up while the car is sitting on the ground to ensure you don't put strain on the bushes. Technically its called putting the car into an unladen position.

Pleased you stated that, few people seem to know; BUT I always emphasise that the bolts MUST be replaced or they can snap.