PDA

View Full Version : Touareg 2.5 TDI SE Sport auto

Peter Pal
07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi, I'm new to this - not that I'm a new VW owner - I've had several over the years. And none has given me grief like the Touareg I bought about 16 months ago!
Every time I leave it parked for a few days (airport car parks etc), evrything shuts down and it won't start. This has happened 7 times since I own it! Anyone else with the same problem?

scotty33
10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Are you saying the battery goes flat, or is there some other problem?

Peter Pal
10-11-2007, 09:20 PM
The battery doesn't always go flat (although this time they put a new battery in), it just gradually shuts down all 'non-essential' functions (that's what they tell me). Sometimes I just get strange warning lights, e.g. ESP off (even though it's on) - it starts, I let it run for a while, switch off and start up again - all well, no warning lights. They've done drain tests, software updates - can't find the problem.

y2ksparky
25-11-2007, 04:18 AM
What year is your car? The early ones had problems with excessive voltage drop on the charging system cable, and there are several Tech bulletins relating to this sympton. Have the dealer recheck it again or it's bound to happen again. Yes it does also have a module to shut off the non essential components if the voltage drop below certain predetermined voltages, but the starter is not one of them, and obviously is considered a priority !

Peter Pal
25-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Thank you for your reply. It's a 55 reg - first registered Nov 2005. What would need to be done? Replace the cable?

y2ksparky
03-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Thank you for your reply. It's a 55 reg - first registered Nov 2005. What would need to be done? Replace the cable?
Unfortunatly it's not that easy. The cable problem was related to the v8 models which resulterd in a voltage drop on the cable. In your case you need to let the dealer have the car for a couple of days so that they can monitor the current draw overnight as it may be that a module is staying activated and draining the battery. The radios in particular were known to do that. Basically, they need to put in the time to diagnose it.