PDA

View Full Version : mk3 dropping in revs

aharrod
07-11-2007, 03:01 PM
My friends mk3 golf 1.6 Auto has started dropping in revs recently when she drives it causing the car to slow down rather quickly, and it then takes a while for the car to pick up again. Its also beginning to misfire.
Im wondering if the revs dropping could be due to the valve body assemble?

Could anyone else know of any reasons for this?

Dollso
08-11-2007, 11:16 PM
yep had the same problem, turned out to be the throttle position actuator (it bolted onto the front of the injector unit) an easy test is to unplug the cable and test pins 1 + 6 (mine has 6 pins others have 4) for resistence (max 200) if you get a really stupid result like 2000M or an open circuit then it gone. GSF will do a replacement for £70 (£130 from VW, same part) easy to fit.

Is the car running ok when cold then starts to have power drops after it heats up? also mine was idling at over 1000rpm and almost cutting out at junctions and roundabouts (not constantly though) after replacing the throttle position actuator the car runs perfect and idels at 800rpm as it should.

best advice though would be to Download the Vag-Com program and buy a cable from ebay, found the fault with mine in 5 mins. cable is £15 and program is free (shareware) but not the full program, if you use torrents you can get full version. Best £15 i ever spent.. plug cable into car, other end to laptop and Vag-com tells you whats going wrong in mins. Also get Elsawin program and with both tools you can narrow down and fix almost anything, will save you a lot of time and money.

aharrod
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Cheers for that, I'l be looking at the car over the weekend so hopefully that will solve the problem with it.