PDA

View Full Version : S6 (and S7) goes diesel!

johnsimcox
12-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Don't think anyone saw that coming given the anti-diesel world we live in
Audi reveals new S6 and S7 Sportback with 345bhp V6 diesel | Autocar (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-reveals-new-s6-and-s7-sportback-345bhp-v6-diesel)

ChuckMountain
12-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Erm what the heck are they thinking. I mean its one thing going diesel but dropping the power by over 100ps .... :(

The US still get the petrol version :(

Crasher
12-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Well IF I had the money, that is one I would cross off of my list.

ascr
12-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Err....C7 bitdi 320bhp, 0-60 5.1secs and near identical torques..... this S6 just makes no sense at all....

SMILEMAN
12-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Sounds ok to me, would never have the bottle to go for the petrol V8, plenty fast enough for todays roads, can't see whats not to like, the RS will be along soon for those that want the supercar type performance.
It is surprising however, that Audi are coming out with these new diesel units, given the anti diesel backlash going on, but they were probably in development before it all kicked off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

johnsimcox
13-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Maybe they see the s6 as the replacement for the BiTDi and the RS6 is the performance petrol version

ascr
13-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Yes can see the logic there. Wish I'd kept my Bitdi (sorry S6) now!

ChuckMountain
13-04-2019, 11:56 PM
Err....C7 bitdi 320bhp, 0-60 5.1secs and near identical torques..... this S6 just makes no sense at all....

The 0-62 of the C7 FL saloon with 320ps was 5.0 seconds.... (0-60 was under 5 :) )

I was going to try and get one of the older S6 Avants and they felt considerably quicker than my old BiTDI (320ps)

ascr
14-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Interesting. On paper the performance differential between bitdi and S6 was minimal, what did you feel was better about the S6 in terms of driving feel (ignoring the visceral sound effect)? Just curious as I drove both last go around and I felt that in real world driving the bitdi just had more performance more quickly, whereas to me the S6 needed to stretch it's legs to get the best response. But that's just me.

ChuckMountain
14-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Yep I thought that on paper is something like 4.6 seconds for the S6. However thinking about I actually drove an S7 but I did think it parts it was considerably quicker or at least felt it. I think the rear sports differential helped especially accelerating in short corners. Maybe it's a combination of the noise but for me the extra 130ps albeit lower torque gave it the edge. I also think it's legs could go further due to the higher revving. Maybe the bitdi would have been quicker in some scenarios not sure.

ascr
14-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Useful thanks. Taking delivery of my 50 Avant next week so let's see what's out there in 2 yrs time!. Maybe that'll be the right time to scratch the 'RS' itch..!

ChuckMountain
14-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Useful thanks. Taking delivery of my 50 Avant next week so let's see what's out there in 2 yrs time!. Maybe that'll be the right time to scratch the 'RS' itch..!

What current model are you coming from?

ascr
14-04-2019, 02:43 PM
C7 bitdi

ChuckMountain
14-04-2019, 08:46 PM
C7 bitdi

Oh no you didn't want to go and do that ....

ascr
14-04-2019, 09:48 PM
It's ok I drove around in efficiency mode for the last 3 week's in the bitdi to acclimatise myself for when I get the 'broken' engine as my son calls it in the new car (only 1 turbo you see).

Actually not too fussed about step down in performance as only used to use the full potential of the Bitdi about 5% of the time... real world driving I'm not that fussed about the change.

I wanted the 55, but not available when I ordered, and Audi had a significant campaign for a week at start of Q1 only on the Avant, actually making it cheaper than an equivalent saloon, so no brainer finance wise.

Deciding factor for getting another A6 and taking a small hit on the performance I have been used to, was the interior.... having had 2 C7's back to back they were beginning to feel very old tech; love this new generation though, for me the best out of the big 3 German marks by a long shot.

ChuckMountain
14-04-2019, 10:46 PM
It's ok I drove around in efficiency mode for the last 3 week's in the bitdi to acclimatise myself for when I get the 'broken' engine as my son calls it in the new car (only 1 turbo you see).

Actually not too fussed about step down in performance as only used to use the full potential of the Bitdi about 5% of the time... real world driving I'm not that fussed about the change.

I wanted the 55, but not available when I ordered, and Audi had a significant campaign for a week at start of Q1 only on the Avant, actually making it cheaper than an equivalent saloon, so no brainer finance wise.

Deciding factor for getting another A6 and taking a small hit on the performance I have been used to, was the interior.... having had 2 C7's back to back they were beginning to feel very old tech; love this new generation though, for me the best out of the big 3 German marks by a long shot.

I wouldn't worry I was only pulling your leg. :) I have also let my C7 BiTDI go too and managed to get an A8 50TDI at a deal I couldn't refuse....

It's a little bit down on power from what I am used to but do I notice it. Yes you might "miss" the sound a bit but the A8 is generally quieter anyway and seems pretty quick off the mark. I am paying less than I was for my A6...

El-Cap
15-04-2019, 08:59 PM
New S7 appeals to me when I replace my current A7. Quite happy with it being a nice torquey diesel!

However there is going to be the TFSI E - a torquey petrol with the option drive as all electric which, with the LEZ’s appearing, is tempting too.

Going to be down to cost and configurations on which one will suit best - can’t wait for the full specs to come out for both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckMountain
15-04-2019, 09:10 PM
New S7 appeals to me when I replace my current A7. Quite happy with it being a nice torquey diesel!

However there is going to be the TFSI E - a torquey petrol with the option drive as all electric which, with the LEZ’s appearing, is tempting too.

Going to be down to cost and configurations on which one will suit best - can’t wait for the full specs to come out for both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think they are making a mistake here. The S6 and S7 never sold in great numbers people either stuck with the regular A's or went to the RS models if you look at the number of used cars in the market there are very few S6 or S7.

When I swapped to my BiTDi last time the S6 was about another 8-10k from memory and apart from the really nice engine you got a very similar car with the sports differential, air suspension and some nicer seats.

If they expect the same premium for a car with significantly less power than I think they will shoot themselves in the foot!

istate75
16-04-2019, 01:23 PM
I think this is a big mistake too. I have always had 'sensible' engined A6s. My current C7 being my 1st 3 ltr. With the demonisation of diesel, I had already decided to move to petrol for my next one. The LEZ in London is already any diesel older than 2016. Many cities to follow. With the changes to the VED rates, my thinking was it would be a great opportunity to finally push the boat out so to speak, spoil myself and go for the S6 which I've always wanted, as the annual VED rates are the same as a TDi50. And stick 2 fingers up to the government with their fake concerns over CO2 emissions! I'm not able to afford the RS6. It's just too expensive for my budget. If the S6 is going to be a diesel, I might as well stick with the car I have. It has less power, yes, but most of the time it has plenty enough. I can wait for Audi to hopefully come to their senses and bring out a petrol S6 later.

Renars
16-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Erm what the heck are they thinking. I mean its one thing going diesel but dropping the power by over 100ps .... :(

The US still get the petrol version :(

There is no much to thing about, you just look at sales numbers and its easy to figure out what can be sold to people.
Last S6 was bought by almost nobody.
So they just made high horsepower bestseller S6 not A6 now and it will sell so much better.

ChuckMountain
16-04-2019, 02:40 PM
I don't get what you mean buy your last sentence?