PDA

View Full Version : Ken Livingstones Big Idea

leafygardens
06-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I have a VW LT35 TDI year 2000 campervan and live within the M25 (Bromley Kent). Kens new plan is to charge owners of older diesels, mine is registered as a motorhome, around £100 a day to travel within the M25 unless very expensive modifications are made to engine and exhaust.

Selling now is an option but campervans are very expensive to replace. I have heard that the exhaust particulate thingys can be troublesome and expensive. Think around £2000 for the mods required. I think an engine changeover to Petrol could solve the problem as I only travel about a thousand miles or so a year.

Any ideas of any petrol engines that would replace the diesel. My engine is a 2461cc 5cyl. TDI. Also found in the T4 and other vehicles. I was thinking along the lines of a used car engine as Van engines are usually very high milers. I ran a Audi 100 with a 5cyl petrol engine once, they were very cheap to buy.

Any ideas wellcomed Thanks

John

Crasher
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
How about another of his brilliant plans, a Polo Blue Motion pays the congestion charge but a Lexus 4x4 hybrid doesn’t!

onzarob
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Ken Livingstones Big Idea

Is he cablable of sense...I do think he goes for the obvious/vote claiming lines....who votes for him anyway? :dunno:

scotty33
07-11-2007, 10:46 AM
As you said, the 2.2 or 2.3 from the Audi 100 and 90 could be made to fit. I'm fairly sure VW made t4's with the 2.8 VR6 engine, so this could also be an option?
In the US, they had basically a petrol version of your engine, 5 cyl 2.5 (AAF code I think?) you might need to get manifolds etc from this engine to use with either Audi engine, as the Audi install is longitudinal, not transverse.

adamss24
07-11-2007, 06:40 PM
How on earth was he elected second time, especially after he introduced the congestion charge ?

onzarob
07-11-2007, 06:47 PM
How on earth was he elected second time, especially after he introduced the congestion charge ?

Probably the same way MP's get voted in.......no one normal turns up and votes these days ;):zx11: